1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Travel] The World's First Smart Carry-on Luggage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, Aug 12, 2015.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

This Y-Combinator backed startup just created a pretty cool new carry-on suitcase that has location tracking (in case your bag gets lost), a built-in battery charger for your devices, built-in scale (in case you need to check the bag in), proximity alerts, a digital lock (you can lock your suitcase using the app on your phone), and even a partnership with Uber in case your bag needs to be delivered to you from the airport. Pretty cool.

They raised over $2m in funding, and currently have the suitcase for pre-order for $369. Use my referral link here to get an additional $20 off.

Here are some pics of what it looks like:

[​IMG]
    We all know nothing can ruin a trip like losing your luggage and its contents. Put your mind at ease knowing that you can lock your suitcase via your smartphone; if you get separated from your Bluesmart, it will lock automatically. Access can be shared with people you trust, and you will be notified anytime someone attempts to open the suitcase. The Bluesmart Travel Sentry® Approved Lock will be accepted by the TSA.

[​IMG]
    Bluesmart has a built-in digital scale so you can find out its weight and whether it’s approved by the airline. Just pull the handle and the app will tell you if you are ok to go.

[​IMG]
    We know how important it is to have your phone charged at all times. That’s why we’ve included a super powerful battery charger that can charge two devices - whether it is your smartphone, tablet or ebook - at the same time. The suitcase battery will enable you to recharge your smartphone six times over.

[​IMG]
    You don’t want to lose this baby. Thanks to the proximity sensors, you will receive alerts when you are separated from your Bluesmart. You can also locate your Bluesmart with a proximity heat map and receive a reminder of the last recorded location. Take that, James Bond.

[​IMG]
    If you ever lose your Bluesmart (how dare you!) or if it gets “re-routed”, the Bluesmart network will help you track the location of your suitcase. As the network grows, we will cover the whole planet.

[​IMG]
    Let’s be honest, going through airport security sucks. So we made it extremely easy to access your electronics with a compartment at the front of the suitcase, specially designed to hold and protect your laptop and tablet. You’ll breeze through airport security like George Clooney in that movie.

[​IMG]
    The data shows that you’re a jetsetter. Get real-time reports with trends and data from your trips, including miles traveled, airports visited, time spent in each country, and more through the Bluesmart app.

[​IMG]
    How cool would it be to have your own travel assistant? Imagine Bluesmart syncing to your calendar and to other travel services that you use so you can get reminders about when and what to pack.

[​IMG]
    Oh yeah. We will also develop apps for the smartwatch users out there, so you can control your suitcase right from your wrist and be the ultimate travel baller.

[​IMG]

#1 s land balla, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. BleedsRocketRed

Dude, this is pretty awesome. Android support?

3. s land balla

Yes, both iOS and Android!

4. yo

yo Contributing Member

All that and not a peep about how much actual space there is to, ya know, fit your clothes. :p

1 person likes this.
  5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Why does anyone need this?

6. s land balla

Dimensions: 21.5" (height) x 14" (width) x 9" (depth)

Weight: 8.5 pounds

Storage: 34 Liters. The main compartment, which uses a hard case, provides space for larger items such as clothes, shoes, and coats. The secondary compartment, which uses a soft case, offers a series of organizer pockets to hold tech accessories, like your laptop and tablet, and other small items. The secondary compartment is able to accommodate laptops with screens that are up to 15". The compartment also has a separate pocket for tablet devices.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The GPS feature is kind of bs. It needs to be close to another phone that has this app. So if only 1000 people have the app the chance of getting your luggage is pretty small.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I would be concerned about the durability if you are not easy on your luggage. My Pelican EL22 is built like a house so it isn't fair to compare to that but this uses exterior polyurethane instead of polypropylene and 1200D polyester instead of Cordura. The fact it has ANY exterior soft parts should tell you it is not intended for abuse but the fact they used lower quality components than readily available is troublesome. Realistically my carry on has never been over weight and I don't mind carrying a tiny key. I do mind having a handle or wheel break or my **** getting wet.

9. s land balla

That's the same way Waze works.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The entire thing is a whiz bang gadget. I've never had my carry on weighed and I don't see how having to get out your phone to lock/unlock is better than remembering a 3 digit combination.

Their wheel marketing talk is interesting. How is it possibly more durable WITHOUT a hub. ie Pelican EL22's ball bearing hub
    [​IMG]

11. Asian Sensation

Finally! I'll never lose my carry on luggage ever again.

1 person likes this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

But can it make me a sandwich?

1 person likes this.
  13. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Does it make you feel like running a marathon doe?

15. VanityHalfBlack

Wish I had the luxury to be able to travel on a daily basis. This is kinda awesome but I don't have the money.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Build a device that can automatically follow you and still carry your things

17. hlcc

hlcc Member

Seems pretty gimmicky to me, I fly quite frequently and like others have already pointed out I have yet ton counter an airline thatll weight your carry on. Also why the hell would you need gps & proximity for a carry on?

18. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Wouldn't this be better on checked-in luggage?

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Uhmmm yeah. I only carry on and unless someone forcefully took my bag from me I would never lose it.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

I am flying, and taking a boat, to an island with a volcano, where I will throw myself in. Is this the luggage for me?