1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damning evidence of poor coaching

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rox4lyf, May 11, 2015.

1. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

One of the biggest flaws of McHale and this coaching staff is their failure to get the team's role players to play above their intrinsic value either by putting them in the best positions to flourish or to develop them individually. Let's just take quick look at some of the role players on the roster now.

• Terrence Jones (No significant improvement since Yr 1. Still gets pushed around on defense, poor FT shooter, mechanically slow and inconsistent shooting form)

• Donatas Motiejunas (A rare bright spot, but the argument can be made that he wouldn't have gotten playing time if Jones and Howard hadn't gotten hurt)

• Trevor Ariza (Still an elite perimeter defender, but lost his shooting touch. He's put into situations where he is very poor at (e.g. transition and playmaking))

• Kostas Papanikolaou (After a promising start, he completely fell out of the rotation. When he has played, he's shown nice flashes of BB IQ, playmaking, and ball movement)

• Josh Smith (Need I say more? He's been gifted the best situation for him possible, yet looks completely befuddled out there against the Clippers)

It wasn't too long ago when the Rockets consistently produced overachieving role players that became key rotation players and then left the team to pursue lucrative contracts elsewhere. For example:

• Rafer Alston, Aaron Brooks, Kyle Lowry, Luis Scola, Carl Landry, Chuck Hayes, Von Wafer

It's no coincidence that this happened when an actual good coach like Adelman was leading the team. I feel nostalgic about seeing those Rockets teams of yesterday that were greater than the sum of their parts. Not a single one of McHale's coached teams ever demonstrated that characteristic. This falls on poor coaching; again from its failure to develop a scheme that maximizes a role player's talent or by pure player development. Add this to the laundry list of reasons why McHale should go.

1 person likes this.
  2. chandlerbang21

Its more on the players sorry bro

3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I believe Patrick Patterson and Chase Budinger would also count.

The only player under McHale that seems to fit this category is Parsons.

4. Possum

Possum Member

What a stupid thread. This is on the players. Mostly harden. He needs to learn how and when to step up when he's needed. Next is Howard. Dude is a moron. He's lucky he didn't get thrown out of the last game and suspended for a few games. He needs to mature and get his head out of his ass. That's it plain and simple. Those two guys should be making everyone around them better. Just like Jordan and pippin, Shaq and kobe. This team goes as they do.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Damn!! That is damning!!!

6. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Man I miss Von Wafer

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Speaking of Damning Evidence about poor threads and OPs...

OP does not mention Chandler Parsons' career under McHale in his entire post.

Dude, maybe McHale should go, but make a ******* freaking solid argument about it when you title your thread "Damning Evidence" and leave out one of the best rookies under McHale.

And you are extremely lame and weak at several other points...but just not worth responding to since you have such Damning Evidence of bias, since you left out major evidence.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You know sometimes a coach on your butt knows better. Dwight Howard won't admit it but the best NBA coach he ever had was Stan Van Gundy. That Magic team went to the Finals for a reason. A coach's job isn't to be your baby sitter friend......

1 person likes this.
  9. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Hmm...didn't expect as much vitriol as I got here. I made specific mention that I am only referencing the current roster. I didn't intentionally choose to leave off Parsons, whom I would've put as a rare bright spot along with Motiejunas. However, the point I am trying to demonstrate is that there is an overwhelming number of players who haven't played above their intrinsic value over the outliers that have like a Parsons. To further expand on the Parsons point, I think we can all agree that he did regress massively on the defensive end since his first year.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well I'll be damned...

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Parsons was never that good on defense that's why he "regressed". It's not as if he was a defensive juggernaut in Dallas. If you think Parsons was some sort of defensive stalwart his first year then you are just being a homer imo.

And if you are wondering why you got a negative reply it's because you are one of the 9000000 people piling on right now and you could have posted this in the fire mchale thread.

12. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

maybe op's reasoning isn't completely sound but the facts he references are at least true. reality is, PROVEN VETERANS like trevor ariza and josh smith have been set up to fail by mchale. of course they are going to have their good games here and there, that is natural skill and experience, but we constantly see them in situations where they are guaranteed to fail.

ariza's pull up or fadeaway i have probably seen him make 2/20 on the season. and then josh smith at the top of the arc with the ball... you NEVER know what's going to happen. do you see that on a properly coached team like the spurs or the phil jackson lakers? NEVER. mchale has done a good job of managing the rotation throughout the regular season but the reality is right now he simply does not have what it takes to tactically prepare the team to succeed and has shown no evidence that he will suddenly acquire this ability in the fturue

1 person likes this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

nice counter argument...

14. Airdough

Airdough Member

Pile on, Pile on, just keep up that piling on. I get that you all hate McHale but can't we just keep this to the burn McHale in effigy thread. Somehow one man is responsible for all the misery suffered by Rockets fans and the one man solely responsible for keeping the Rockets from a title. Instead, this all of the hating here has just made this place insufferable.

I decided to join this board to actually enjoy discussing games we won and commiserating after losses. Instead, this board is comprised of a steaming pile of hate that won't go away when McHale is fired because the people spewing the hate will remain. All that will happen is they will turn on this team again at the first sign of trouble and create more fire/trade everyone threads all the while proclaiming they know more about basketball than anyone else.

15. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

16. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

I swear i come to this site strictly to laugh lol

17. Houston79Astro

I actually think developing players is mchale's biggest strength, because he allows mistakes to happen. He has players play above their values like bev, Parsons, Terry, and Dragic. He still should be fired, because he still can not make adjustments and doesn't motivate his players. He lacks strategy as well.

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

We need a Everything Sucks forum.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If you follow the team very closely, you know how much they work with the players....at this point, lack of development is a sign that the player isn't that physically or athletically gifted, or that their IQ is lacking. I don't list work ethic because they do seem to work hard, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

looked good the first month then has looked awful since and his play making isn't that good