1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suck it, Hubie Brown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yo, Dec 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I actually enjoy listening to Hubie when he goes on some grandpa-like random tangent.

2. koldlaser

koldlaser Member

That's because the Rockets were a visiting team. Visitors will always play the villain role.

3. BossRolen

BossRolen Member

I noticed his weird Nuggets bias in the first quarter and thought maybe it was all in my head, but it just got worse and worse. Really started to piss me off. "We" was thrown around a lot. That dude can eat a bag of dicks.

1 person likes this.
  4. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

Hubie always gives props to our guys, especially H&H....Even when Howard was getting backhanded by the media last year Hubie still spoke highly of him...He even said some very positive things about D-Mo last night...I like his commentary and saw nothing wrong with his work last night

5. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Hubie is the best. He does what every other color guy does not: he gets you more in tune with the game, rather than editorializing every chance he gets. Most announcing teams make the broadcast more like a talk show with a basketball game playing in the background. You may disagree with his analysis, and I question is eyesight with foul calls (which sometimes is just funny), but he is the only guy who consistently breaks down plays in an objective style, and more often than not offers insight that you won't get from other commentators. And the "uhg" on Harden's three was expressing imperative disbelief not disappointment, lol. You guys are touchy.

6. MattM

MattM Member

Wow!

I'm a passionate Rockets fan and I watched the game on ESPN last night. I thought Hubie did a fine job commentating.

It's a nationally televised game - not Matt, Clyde and Bill. Hubie won't be cheering for the rockets but he wasn't rooting for the nuggets either.

7. thejav

thejav Member

you obviously didn't watch the ESPN version.. He was definitely pro Denver. not that an old mans opinion matters.. it still was annoying to listen to him for 3 hours. to me the best announcer in the league is the guy from the Brooklyn Nets.. i forget his name but i love his play by play..

8. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like I'm in crazyland. There was nothing wrong with the way Hubie called the game last night. He was very positive about Harden, Howard, and D-Mo. Christ, he even talked about how much he liked Nick Johnson. He got excited when Denver hit the three at the end of regulation because he's a fan of exciting basketball.

9. tdo

tdo Member

I thought it was fairly obvious he was pulling for the Nuggets... no big deal though, they are the "underdog" and Hubie typically pulls for them. The amount of times he said "we" when referring to the Nuggets was kind of strange, but again who cares who he was rooting for.

That being said he is just a flat out terrible commentator. He is knowledgeable about the game of course, but I think his age is just catching up with him. He rambles non-stop about the most obvious stuff. If I had to hear "well it's a foul depending on the angle" one more time, I was going to throw the remote through my TV. He was also just blatantly wrong on a couple of the stats he threw out at the beginning of the game. I would be happy as a clam at high tide if I never had to listen to Hubie's commentating again.

Before y'all say watch it on Root, that unfortunately was not an option for me. I did contemplate watching the game on mute for a while though.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The only legitimate complaint I had about him all game was his JJ Hickson monologue pretending like he was a long time member of the Nuggets back to the George Karl days. But since he was so wrong on it, and it's him, it was just funny.

11. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I don't see it as anti-Houston bias. I see it more as east coast bias, and I don't like the east coast. Just with regard to the NBA, the eastern conference is terrible, spearheaded by poor management in large markets. Outside of the NBA, east coast "old money" has been driving policy and running the media for generations, and I'm of the opinion that they aren't representative of the culture and ideals we live by in Texas, or in the west for that matter.

12. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Smh shut yo mouth.

HUBBIE IS THE BEST. His insight and fairness is unmatched and I shall shed tears the day he retires.

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Hubbie was singing PatBev's praises all night. Harden too. He understands the game. If u dont like it, then idk what to say.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Are some of you literally insane?? Hubie NEVER said "we" when referring to the Nuggets, nor was he overly effusive in his praise for them. He was measured and fair, and if anything, couldn't stop praising Harden for his all-around game. Even when the Rockets were down by double digits, he said, "See, this team is 18-5. You know they're coming back." I agree there is a media bias when it comes to the Rockets, but let's not conjure up things that aren't there. Just watch Inside the NBA, and you'll see REAL Rockets hatred.

15. Dream McLandry

I watched the game too and didn't hear much that made me think Hubie was favoring the Nuggets. It definitely was not like Tirico in game 6 against Portland last year. That was the most egregious example of blatant bias I've ever heard from a national broadcast.

16. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I wish we could have JVG or Chris Webber on our broadcasts. Seems like we always get Hubie, or some other tool.

17. archinkent

archinkent Member

We shouldn't be complaining about someone like Hubie Brown when we have Clyde Drexler and Bill Worrell.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Haven't read the thread.

Hubie isn't bad.

He's just old.

19. craguin

craguin Member

Oh, you caught that too. I was thinking, WTF?

20. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Now come on now now now come on come on now come on now now come

1 person likes this.