1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Barkley on Rockets: "I really want my paycut money back."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DJ, Jun 14, 2014.

1. DJ

DJ Member

In this clip Charles was taking about the possibility of Carmelo going to the Heat when the interviewers asked him about Scottie Pippen going the Rockets back in the late 1990's. He said that it is different when superstars decide to play with each other when they are towards the end of their career. He also said that he didn't really wanna sign with the Rockets, though he enjoyed his time with them. He stated that the Rockets asked him to take a paycut as that was the only way the Rockets could have signed Pippen. Then he topped everything off by saying he wants his money back. I guess Barkley is the reverse Kelvin Cato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TauS6TJ-DQk

2. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

How about asking Scottie for your ring back

3. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I've got no beef with any (financial) complaints Barkley has about the Rockets. The massive pay cut he took for us to go get Pippen is the most selfless (financial) act made by any player in Rockets history. Charles gets a HUGE pass from me for that reason.

1 person likes this.
  5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Do I not recall that Chuckles was recompensed the following season getting him 'even'?

6. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Apparently not, because he's been b****ing about Les owing him that money for the last 15 years.

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

This is my favorite memory of Barkley...:eek:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SOK0mVRPfdk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

I wonder what happened with that Ass.

9. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

He's still on TNT. I don't want to get started on this, but the Barkley trade was one of the most overrated transactions in basketball history.

Barkley did not do anything for the Rockets and we gutted the team to acquire this bad teammate, no defense playing loud mouth.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He joined the TNT crew subtracting from Ernie and Chuckles and Kenny (the JET???).

11. basketballholic

No, he was shorted. He played out that first season at I think $1 million or so and he should've been making at least $10 million and more like $12-14 million. The next season he signed again for $9 million. That was his last year. In all fairness, they should have compensated him somewhere around an additional $10-15 million for those last 2 seasons that he played below his market.

You can make arguments on it from either side. He was washed up and he did blow out his knee that last season. But that wasn't a known factor in the contract signing. He should have made around $12-14 million his last year and he made $9-10 million, and he should have made at least $10 million the season before when he made $1 million I think it was. So, total it up....somewhere between $10-15 million is what he gave up.

An argument could possibly be made that Barkley was planning on retiring that last season but came back to pick up the extra checks. Les could probably say that if it were any other player they wouldn't have re-signed him and given him $9 million. But even if that is the case.....Barkley could still make the case that he was shorted $3-5 million.

The other unknown is we'll never know what possible role Barkley may have been able to have in the organization. Perhaps Les was planning on making him a token VP after he retired and giving him some extra dough?????

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We got to WCF.

1 person likes this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I agree completely. The "pay cut" that the big three in Miami took pails in comparison to what Charles gave up to have Scottie come aboard, and I have no problem with Charles having a beef with Scottie for not bringing his A game with the Rockets given the sacrifice it took to get him there. People really realize that the year the "big 3" in Houston formed, Barkley played for less money than Ronnie Brewer got paid last year with the Rockets.

Barkley has a bad taste in his mouth about his days with the Rockets... As a super competitive, and proud athlete I get it. What great player wants to exit their career like that.... Sacrifice personally only to have your teammate give up on the team (Bullard refers to Pippen as the worst teammate he ever had at any level), underachievement, and career ending injuries.

Its crazy to me that Barkley even talks openly about his time in Houston and doesn't try and act as if it never happened. He has good things to say about the city typically (thinks highly of the women apparently), but he's not going to smile and say it was the greatest basketball experience of his career.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

He would have just blown it in Vegas, water under the bridge at this point.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

"First of all, I never wanted to go to the Rockets"

calling tinman

16. J Hard

J Hard Member

Barklry was fat and washed up, although he had some good numbers. And Pippen was highly overrated and was a glorified super role player. He became very average when Jordan arrived. Pippen had above average intangibles when he went to portland but that was it. Kobe roasted em, cooked em.

17. J Hard

J Hard Member

Whups, I meant when Jordan retired

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The last I heard on it, Les and the organization broke a promise to him and didn't pay him what they'd originally agreed on during the Pippen run. Shame.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks. My memory of his contract situation is pretty fuzzy (I don't care what 'they' make except as it relates to roster building).

And having been over seas at the time of Pip, I have always wondered just what happened???

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/08/19/sports/barkley-confirms-his-trade-to-rockets.html

Under the deal, to be announced Monday, Houston will send point guard Sam Cassell and forwards Robert Horry, Mark Bryant and Chucky Brown to Phoenix. All four become free agents after this season.

Barkley, intent on winning a National Basketball Association title before he retires, avoided a crowd awaiting his arrival at Intercontinental Airport. The star forward got offthe plane on the tarmac and got into a limousine.

Before arriving in Houston, Barkley was vacationing in Philadelphia and told two television stations there: ''I'm very excited. Obviously, it's something I wanted to do. Houston was my first priority.''