1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to Get Rid of Roaches?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Johndoe804, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Lived in a cheap apartment complex for a while that had a terrible roach problem. This wasn't a matter of keeping the place clean. It was a terrible infestation. At any rate, I've since moved from the apartment and am currently living with parents whilst purchasing a house. We bombed the **** out of the apartment, moved our things to a storage unit, bombed the storage unit, and are now storing our packed items at my parents. But this didn't kill the roaches. Tonight, I go into the kitchen, turn on the light, and I see a couple of these little bastards running for cover. They aren't big roaches. In fact, most are very tiny. What can we do to kill these ****ers for good? They seem impossible to kill. While at the apartment, we cleaned, we kept things dry, we stored as much as possible in our refrigerator, we used traps, and we used an instant kill spray for cracks, and another spray for long term application. What will kill these bastards??

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those bombs cause more harm to you than the roaches.

Renting makes it more complicated for you. But when I had a problem after buying a house, I payed for a professional exterminator. It was like $50 bucks, didn't stink at all, and the bastards died right off.

Part of the problem for you as a renter is that no matter what you do, there could be a massive nest living in the walls where your neighbors tolerate them. No matter what you do, you can protect your apartment for awhile, but as long as there is a breeding ground right out of your range, they'll keep coming back.

The other thing I'd do is caulk up all the cracks. Specifically, follow them and see where they crawl into the walls and seal it off. Often things like cabinets won't quite be flush, and they'll crawl between them and the wall. They'll find another way in, but you then do it again until they run out of entry paths.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Your apartment would be heaven for my dogs. It would be a roach holocaust.

4. NateNate

NateNate Member

Johndoe what up!! Had the same problem after moving in an apartment after some dirty MF's! With a little patience i swear by the product Roach Prufe. It's pretty much Boric acid.... I used this and after a little time they were ALL gone! Do your research and see what you come up with

5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Wait what? They eat them or what? Do they just "summash" them with their paws? How do they get rid of em?

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I ****ing hate roaches.
    My apartment in Austin thankfully doesn't have roaches. Very tidy landlords kept the place roach free.

7. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

If your apartment has roaches, you cannot get rid of them. You can only delay the frequency until you see another one.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

yep, paw smash and face ram

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you are seeing a lot of tiny ones then those are probably immature and thus there is a breeding ground nearby in some walls or other hidden space. Since it is an apartment you cannot powder inside the walls (a product called drione is great for this - just a dessicant that will abrade their shells and then they dry out and die).

As posted, spray bombing is generally a bad idea and not very effective.

Are they light-ish brown? Most likely they are American cockroaches which will like to live in walls or around moisture. They are attracted to food and paper and the like and won't go away.

Best you can do is check your seals. Look around pipes and fill in any spaces with an expanding filler or silicone caulk depending how large. You could take off all of your switch and socket plates and powder in there with drione but that would not be everywhere.

Then get large flat sticky traps (even if they bend don't bend them). Spraying in areas will only get them to move to another so blunder traps are better. You could drop a few granules of sugar or something in the middle to try to attract but that is not essential. Put these along the walls. That is how they like to move about.

Also if you happen to notice anywhere in the apartment - doors walls, floorboards - where there are weird little brownish black marks that look like drips or smudges that is attar and you should clean it off. That is what they excrete to signal to other roaches that they found a great spot.

10. ling ling

ling ling Member

Exterminators don't work.

Get the roach gel. You can put a few bead behind the cabinet door, on the kitchen counter. They will be gone in a week. The roaches eat the gel, pass it on to other roaches and the entire colony dies.

You can put the bead on a piece of paper or an old can etc..., so you can throw away the gel later.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. conquistador#11

how do i rid those mutant tree roaches? I went to the back yard to cut grass, ran into 8 of them.

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Warning!! OP do not open the door to this guy!!

[​IMG]

Don't let him steal your car either! He's a terrible driver!..:eek:

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Borac acid. Just google it.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

There's no such thing as "Borac". Don't you mean "Borax" or "Boric acid"? :confused:

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Bengal Insecticide Concentrate and a Sprayer

Double the concentration to make the mixture potent and spray along floorboards, in corners, in cabinets, closets, window seals, door entrances, etc. Do it at a time when pets or children won't be around for a few hours. This stuff has been money for me. I've never had the small roaches come in, but the large tree roaches would make they're way in from time to time. One of the bad things about living in the "country". But that stuff handled them easily. If I do see one, it's on its back dead. Keeps spiders, ants, and other little mf's away too.

I treat my house about once a month during the summer.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

+1

1 person likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You need Tyrion's cousin to come over.

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

My bad. I meant Boric acid. It does work.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Mine catch them and then roll on them lol. I think roach guts is like the best smelling thing in the world to them. They are so happy rolling around on dying roaches.

20. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Thank you all for the advice. I'll be sure to try a few things out now before things get much worse!!