1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ANDREW WIGGINS (Once in a Generation)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by 713, Jul 6, 2012.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You need great handles if you want to be a stud in the NBA(positions 1-3).

He is stuff and lacks burst(see Harrison Barnes).

Thought he developed a better jump shot as well.

His quick twitch muscles are lacking to consistently best players off the dribble.

He is Harrison Barnes with a better jumper.

I think he is the 5th best player in the draft.

2. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

This, my problem with Wiggins is that he lacks two of the most crucial skills to be a first option in the NBA. His handles is not up for par compared to an average NBA SF. He also has a tendency to play passively and disappear at times.

Without an alpha mentality and great handles, wing players in the NBA do not become superstars. I can count the number of off-ball superstar players on one hand. They can appear, but are so incredibly rare.

I wouldn't draft at best a defensive second option, at worst defensive role player with a top 3 pick.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I just don't think he will be that great tbh. His game doesn't look like it will translate all that well to the NBA. I'm sure NBA scouts know way more than me though...we'll see

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Good stuff. His disappearing acts reminded me of Rudy Gay at U-Conn but at least Gay had strong-willed veteran players on the team that could be used as an excuse. Wiggins played with other freshman at KU.

But the whole mentality thing is still a question mark at this point. I'm not ready to give up on that yet.

His handles are a big concern. I totally agree he has a long way to go and cannot be a dominant offensive player in the NBA without a vast improvement.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not quite everyone wins - that would put the final nail in the coffin of the NCAA(good riddance...)

Nobody in their right mind with a legit NBA shot would indenture themselves for no pay, a ligament tear away from a lifetime of minimum wage jobs and "coulda beens" so that NCAA functionaries can put them through their ridiculous amateurism wringer and funnel the profits to non-athletes.

Maybe it would encourage the NCAA to end the farce and allow its members to field paid minor league teams - which is essentially what they are now, it's just the players get screwed and the coaches/AD/NCAA officials pocket the cash.

6. basketballholic

Perfect on point. Gotta get a great handle to be a great perimeter player in the NBA. No doubt about it.

7. Sanity2disChaos

Wiggins will be no better than C.Butler in his MIA days (all-star? boderline..maybe)...IMO.

8. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Bolded part sounds like KD a few years ago.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Umm.....Kevin Durant is almost 7 ft y'all and extremely lengthy.

Paul George is a better comparison.

Paul George, like Wiggins is stiff hipped. Will have trouble creating off the dribble because of it. And that's only if he gets his handle up to par.

And one more on Durant, he still sucks at dribbling. He just figured out how to carry the ball to the point that the refs won't call it. Its ugly.

10. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Ummm..... "His handles is not up for par compared to an average NBA SF. He also has a tendency to play passively and disappear at times." <- describes KD a few years ago.

Unless there is some text between the lines, no where does that mention height..

11. PullUpJ

PullUpJ Member

Paul George clone. Same strengths and problems. Elite athleticism, good size, good length, good shot. Bad handle which makes it hard for him to create. Same things were said about PG a year and a half ago.

12. delishman

delishman Member

Folks have said it in here but.. Rich Man's Rudy Gay is right on.