1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ANDREW WIGGINS (Once in a Generation)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by 713, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Kevin Durant is another.

2. Willard Decker

No one has ever talked about Wiggins playing power forward. He's projected as a shooting guard or small forward at the NBA level.

--Captain Decker

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

he wont be a bust but he wont be a superstar either

4. i3artow i3aller

Wiggins will definitely be a superstar. The real question is just how big of a superstar.

He's already one of the rare few NBA prospects/players that can jump off his left, right or both feet equally well. Also while most players dunk on the way up to the rim, Wiggins dunks on the way down.

I know that seems simple and even somewhat insignificant, but it's not. The higher a player can elevate, the easier it is to separate. And the more separation, the easier it is to convert on the perimeter or finish inside.

5. CertifiedTroll

Stromile Swift could dunk

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It depends on his mentality on the court. I'm not sure he has the will and personality to want to dominate over a long NBA season. His mojo at KU makes me very doubtful.

We also don't know how hard he will work to improve himself. No reason to think that will be a problem.

Athleticism is great and Wiggins is special in that way, but you need more than hops and length to be a superstar in the long grind of an 82-game season.

7. i3artow i3aller

Very true (Stro Show got up there), but Stromile unfortunately went full r****d oh so long ago. Gerald Green has similar athletic gifts, and until recently he had mostly squandered all of that talent as well. With that being said, it appears Wiggins has a much better head on his shoulders. His lottery pick status and defense will net him all the minutes a rookie could hope for. Such on the job experience can so often serve as just the royal jelly a young star needs when ascending to NBA stardom. As with all rookies, he'll have to continue to put in the extra work. Rumors are that he's a big time gym rat and that should serve him well as he continues to mold his game.

8. i3artow i3aller

9. spysta

spysta Member

Superstar in this League very soon

The one thing I question is his passiveness sometimes. At Kansas he very rarely matched up against somebody he couldnt shoot over or get a step against, he had 2 problems. 1. Zone defense alot of the time he had no idea what to do against a zone, which is why college basketball is utterly worthless for players like him. All he would do is dribble once and rotate the ball back around, but against a single defender he did alot of 1 dribble step backs and that signature predictable spin move to the rim. 2. His ball handling skills are bad even though he has improved since the beginning of the season he still needs a ton more work on ball handling. Other than that his shot is ahead of the curve in my opinion, his instincts and athletism are through the roof. Raw talent if he can avoid a bad franchise and goes to a coach that knows what he is doing he will be up there with Paul George and Kwahi Leonard.

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

^ Holy shhhh ^

12. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

I have the same observation. He seems to lack that intensity & mental stamina compared to Jabari Parker. Parker is a fierce competitor who hates to lose. Just compare his intense reaction after losing NCAA to Wiggins. In NBA with a long 82 games season year after year, you need that extra competitive, hate-to-lose mentality to compete year after year. Lesser souls like Beasley just caved in. Tough warriors like MJ, LBJ, Garnet, KD, Kobe, Wade etc
    , they have that extra competitive blood to keep fighting year after year. They are not laid back but intense competitors, a mark of the champions.

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

According to ESPN, that was 44".

!!!

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Expected him to have a 43+ vert, people don't realize how much of a freak athlete he is . Sky is the limit for this kid.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Players I create in 2k can't even jump that high. :eek:

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Handles suck, doesn't seem to have quick burst either..

More athletic Harrison Barnes?

17. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

This higher vertical = athletic concept is really stupid. It is a wonder that D.J. Stephens and Shane Larkins are not dominating the league.

There are tons of players who jump really high, run really fast. They amount to nothing: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre...All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=12

Having a 40 inch vertical with weak handles and average basketball skills at SF position automatically gives you a sky high potential?

18. HOUSTONROCKETS5

He's a more athletic MKG.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not sure how much you watched him this season. He developed a really nice jumpshot with a good release and has NBA 3pt range easily.

Good defender that understands the concept of team defense and is a good help defender.

Watching the team you realize he's just one of five guys in their system, that's why you don't see more PPG or APG, in some games when he tried it was clear he'd easily drop 30+ on opposing teams.

Also has a nice ball-iq and sees the open man, really unselfish and tries to help the team first.

To your point about jumping high, it's not just that and it should be evident if you followed him more closely. He's an athletic beast in every regard.

People forget that this guy is only 19(!) and already has a good skillset and will only improve over time. There really is no ceiling right now, you don't need PG handles at the SF position.

20. Normalus

Normalus Member

Gerald Green also can jump, but meh...both of them are nothing special overall