1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley: Energy and toughness underrated [Rockets related]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yellow, Dec 27, 2013.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This poster didn't even read the post .he saw Barkley and just wanted to write something negative .
    Real rockets fans love Barkley.
    Sensitive and wimpy people can't stand his criticism of the rockets cause he's right about them.
    When Yao and Tracy were over hyped he called out their flaws.
    yes Charles has something against les. But he loves the fans and the city. Which is more than any newbs lately

2. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

Mario Elie, Sam Cassell, Maxwell, et al, played defense in at different era, or much different rules. So did Barkley. These days NBA defense calls for quickness, speed, energy and last toughness.

3. Chris Jent MVP

I read the post, and it is wrong. Toughness wasnt "the key" to Clutch City. The key to Clutch City was Hakeem Olajuwon, period. You could try to remove Hakeem and add 4 more Mario Ellies, but you still wouldn't get jack.

And as others have pointed out, "toughness" was never concretely defined. This is just an empty phrase that the listener fills in with their own meaning. In other words, pseudo-intellectualism from a fat clown.

Chuck is a hack. I don't understand how you could have so much respect for a guy who never respected the game enough to practice or work out in the offseason.

He only ever had natural athleticism when he was young. Once that was gone, he was useless. He has the IQ of a bag of hammers and the work ethic of a back-alley whino. Biggest fraud in Rockets history.

4. Chris Jent MVP

Also you claim to love Clutch City so much. How could you tolerate that garbage assclown in a Rockets uniform?

Throwing Clutch City in the garbage in exchange for fat stupid Barkley was the worst decision this franchise has ever made. It was a slap in the face.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There was no way the Olajuwon-Drexler-Cassel-Horry-Mark Bryant nucleus would have been able to beat Seattle (let alone get a 57-25 record) in 96-97.

Olajuwon/Drexler had already begun to age further, Cassel himself had some nagging injuries, and they had pretty much been exposed in 1996 as a team that needed something else.

The only viable options would have been a total rebuild, or try to squeeze 1-2 last good years out of Olajuwon/Drexler.

1 person likes this.
  6. TheJet

TheJet Member

Wow. You remember those years quite differently than I do. I remember a team that needed post defense, rebounding and TOUGHNESS help to get past a juggernaut Seattle team. Chuck was all those things when healthy. Clearly you have a beef against him by the tone of your posts, but calling him garbage because he was oft injured as a Rocket isn't fair at all.

I despised Ewing, Oakley, the entire Bad Boys team, The Glove and anything in the vicinity of Salt Lake City, but I'm willing to acknowledge game when I see it.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

You didn't watch Clutch City then. I experienced it.

Did you even know the Rockets before mario? sam? vernon?

Do names like Buck Johnson, Sleepy Floyd, Winston Garland ring a bell?

Don't PRETEND you know CLUTCH CITY.

You don't know Clutch City. Kenny always talks about how close that team was to each other. of course Dream was the best player, Dream was always the best player.

I know you are a Fraud. Do you even know why Don Chaney got fired?

No..

Don't even try.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

He doesn't remember. He just pretends to know.

This is a trend that happened a few years ago on Clutch fans. There was this one dude, I forgot, Darkknight or something like that. He was making these strange analogies to the old Rockets that we watched that didn't seem to mesh. Then he says he was like 18 which means he was like 2 when this all happened.

He was talking like he knew about Sampson and Magic etc, using STATs to justify his knowledge.

There's nothing that can top experience. People don't know how things were then, the rules, the types of players.

Remember Vernon punched a dude in the stands, he got suspended for what? a few games?

Today he would be out a year.

Beware the fake fan. As Rudy T said, non-believers.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

The LAST TIME the Rockets went to the WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS was when BARKLEY was there to help defeat SEATTLE.

Rockets History, is something you are not an expert at.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Thank goodness, my brother shows up and tells us the truth!

Happy Holidays 99er, we shall always tell the TRUE STORY of Clutch City.

11. tonman

tonman Member

um, just because someone says "toughness", why do we all assume it is on the defensive side? perhaps sometimes you need toughness on offense and take it straight to a good defensive team and let them know that you are going to dictate the pace.

speed is for fast break offense/defense. does little for half court. quickness is great for defense and offense. energy is always key but if we're talking about it, that means some players may not be giving 100% out there.

12. Chris Jent MVP

Oh lawd :rolleyes:

You realize that Houston is a big city with millions of people, millions who lived the experience and remember, and not a minute fraction of them have ever heard of clutchfans. You do realize the world around you outside this forum, don't you?

You ramble on and on, without actually addressing anything that was actually said, in your own little world inside your senile brain, just like a old WWII vet rambling and drooling at thanksgiving dinner.

13. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

"C'mon guys, more energy!"

- McHale's all-purpose coaching advice

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The roster is a work in progress, and probably will be right up to March 1. Patience.

(fixed)

The cuts/signings for p/o's will also be significant (particularly is OA cannot get his knee right in the next 8-weeks.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Would sign. He shoots well at Toyota Center. Would be a valuable player.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The injuries that year exposed Mr Horry. They caused the reset that was Barkley. And Kevin Willis. And Brent Price.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Two years. $11m. Hasn't hit a shot since leaving Mavs. But, I'd take him in the right deal.

18. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Enough with the "you didn't watch clutchcity, I was supporting the rockets back then" crap.
    If you actually know basketball, you would know the game was played way different back then and what worked then doesn't necessarily work now.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

you obvious didn't experience it cause you think toughness wasn't a key and that you can find 4 or 5 mario elies on the street.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

A prime Sam Cassell would tear up the league with the new rules.