1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard's Press Conference and Fan Rally -- July 13, 2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LaCobra7, Jul 10, 2013.

1. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

they stated that the rally starts at 12:30.. it started about an hour later. people bared the heat because they wanted to show dwight a huge welcome to the city.

thanks for doing your part and calling the people who went idiots tho..

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Pls post it

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

It was interesting to hear Dwight name Bev as one of the recruiters.

5. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Les Alexander's combover is freaking ridiculous.

Seriously, Les, either hairplugs or shave that s***.

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

My ****ty (Comcast) internet connection crapped out on me while watching the press conference. Comcast is truly the root of all evil.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Should have watched it on CSN....

8. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

This is what everyone will say when the season is over. Expectations too high around here.

Well, T-Mac set the bar high. He said he would bring championship to the city of Houston. It was also indoors.

I see you didn't get the free t-shirt.

That could be us had we traded for Dwight the first time and he didn't sign an extension with the Magic to avoid being traded here. Except he would have missed a lot more games for the Rockets and left after 2 months.

9. jennmlj

jennmlj Member

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I don't have cable TV.

11. arjun

arjun Member

dwight has already taken over this city.

this is his team.

and now he's my favorite player.

2 weeks ago i was bashing him...but hes now a rocket. i honestly dont give a damn!

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Yes, thank you for putting words in my mouth.

The people who booed are idiots. Feel free to leave.

13. rocketsmetalspd

Nice seeing H-Town showing some Love to DH12. Now it with all the hoopla done it is time to get to work. Asik needs to realize on his own that this could work and I hope he decides to stay. Let's Go Rockets!!!

14. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Took the bumper sticker they gave out at the rally and made a new pic/Facebook cover. Just sharing in case anyone wants to use it too.

[​IMG]

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I guess we should be praising the half ass work of a rushed fan rally? People have the right to criticize.

16. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I used to hate Charles Barkley. I mean, hated him. All of his stupid "we're gonna throw a party for 19,000 of our friends..." "Everyone on that team (Rockets) is afraid to shoot"- then pushing Hakeem at the end of game 7, 1994. Hated that guy. And I loved Horry and Cassell. Rockets heroes.

But when a friend called and said, hey, they just traded Cassell and Horry for Charles Barkley, I yelled "YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Let's face it, certain guys are just the best for a reason. You get the opportunity to get a Lebron James, a Kobe Bryant, a Dwight Howard, a Chris Paul, even a Scottie Pippen looking back at our past) ( and I would do that trade again 100 times out of 100), you do it. Those players are rare, and in a game where less can have more of an impact (baseball and football have more, although a dominating pitcher certainly can impact a game single-handedly), you always take the best player you can get.

And we're not even talking a one-dimensional great like Carmelo. You're talking about probably the #2 two-way player in the NBA after Lebron. I can't think of who gives you the most on both offense and defense except for Lebron- maybe Kobe from 2-3 years ago, Duncan perhaps- so it's a no-brainer.

I remember people bashing this guy last year- stuff like "oh, he's injury prone, oh, he's washed up, oh, he's never been a winner." And then you look at the facts:

1. Only missed 6 games last year and 12 the year before (I actually thought it was 20+- thanks to The Cat for correcting that for me). Other 8 seasons? Outstanding health. Injury-prone? Flush that load of **** down the toilet.

2. Look at his numbers- #1 in rebounding, #5 in blocked shots, close to 18 points a game- that's washed up? And after probably playing in pain? Flush that **** down the toilet, too.

3. Never a winner? Sorry, but you lead that Orlando team to the Finals, you're doing something right. Let's not get started on how long it took Hakeem, Jordan, etc. to finally win a championship. Not everyone is Bird or Magic. So, flush that one, too.

I frankly don't give a good God-damn, a rat's ass, a frog's fat butt, a s**t- whatever colloquial phrase you want to use- about the drama queen stuff, the LA debacle last year, blah, blah. Dwight Howard is the best center in the NBA. Considering both offense and defense, he's top 3-4 in the entire league. And he's proven himself as a winner in a much tougher situation than, say, Steak Jellybean Junior. We are very fortunate to have a player of his caliber on the greatest team in professional sports.

#957 dandorotik, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Great post, dandorotik. One quibble...

It actually wasn't even that many. :) Dwight only 12 missed games the year before (shortened 66-game season).

18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Fagan talks about the Broussard 50/50 debacle...

This will hunt Broussard for the rest of his life.

19. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Edited post. Thanks!!