1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Austin, Texas Members - Lavaca Street Bar & Grill Playoff Watch Parties

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by whiskeyred, Apr 15, 2013.

1. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I know Lavaca Street (405 Lavaca St. - Downtown) is where all the Texans fans gather for the games, I was told they are planning on viewing parties for the Roxs playoff run as well - if we all wanted to meet up once the schedule shakes out.

I'm trying to confirm this just to make sure, but wanted to throw it out.

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds awesome if you like $6 beers. That said, I can't really suggest a better place. I liked to go to the Tavern on 12th and Lamar, but they really can't handle huge parties. I personally just hate that part of downtown. It's way too expensive.

3. whiskeyred

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of downtown either but having been there for a few Texans games, it's a good time. Like I said, just wanted to throw it our there, I'd be down just to meet some others.

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Better off just going going to a pluckers. It will be Muuuuch cheaper.

5. liunatic

liunatic Member

Lavaca is nice, but if you suggest Pluckers...which one were you thinking? The central one is full of college kids and is almost always packed.

6. seyton

seyton Member

I could get down on something like this.

7. AFS

AFS Member

How about something closer to UT campus and away from downtown? Posse East and Crown & Anchor are decent places to watch games.

8. liunatic

liunatic Member

The nice thing about downtown is if the rockets win or lose, we don't have to walk that far to drink away our sorrows or celebrate a victory!

9. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

West campus let's do it

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We used to go to the Tavern back in the day.

DD

11. whiskeyred

I'm good with the Tavern as well.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's some old 99er hangout

13. jogo

jogo Member

I like Legend's Sports Bar near 183 and Mopac. Never crowded and the food is pretty good. Will definitely be there for one or two games this year.

14. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Back in 2000 that was the spot to be. I havent lived there for 10 years now and forgot all about that place

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I suggest the Posse. Better to watch the game there than the Crown, IMO. Plus, I'm a Sunday regular there after softball...so if there are Sunday night games, I'll be there anyway.

16. Showtyme11

Showtyme11 Member

I recommend Dirty Martin's off Guadalupe, the owners give you a discount if you're in Rockets gear

17. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

+1 vote for Posse. I'm there regardless

18. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

I have never paid $6 dollars for a beer at Lavaca St, thats BS but I tend to drink Lone Star for the most part or whatever else might be on special. Anyways, Lavaca always treat us well for Texans games and they have plenty of TVs and seating area. The environment is always fun but that is usually on Sunday afternoons, who knows how many will turn out for the Rockets games.

The tavern sucks and is always dead. I went there on Friday to try and check out the Memphis game, asked them to put on the game and it took them over 30 minutes to switch it to a TV. There was literally 10 other people there.

As others have said, Pluckers on West Campus is always filled with college kids, I am not even in my 30s and feel like a creeper there.

Lavaca St should be fun, hope to see some of y'all there.

19. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Yeah it was incredible. Only people who joined clutchfans in 99 were allowed in. I remember once Hakeem Olajuwon himself tried to go but he wasn't a 99er so he couldn't :(

20. DCballer

DCballer Member

Lavaca St is a great place with cheap drinks and good food. Been there as well for Texans games. Granted parking isn't always the greatest, but the games should start at off times for downtown, so it shouldn't be too bad.