1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Clippers 2/13/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Totally agreed.

2. Fighton

Fighton Member

prior to the 10 games EVERYONE had a bad month, including Harden. that's how young teams are - they can be really good for a stretch then really bad for another stretch. heck, even good teams have their bad stretches.

no team, and no player, can sustain a level consistently throughout the season, efficiency wise. yeah you have players like gets 27pt almost every game but sometime it takes 20 shots and sometimes it takes 30.

3. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Fantastic post!!

4. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Right on.

5. Grigori

Grigori Member

This is where the classic concept of "buying into the system" and "losing the players" come in. It's much easier to get players to buy into your system if you have a good system your players can believe in. Quite frankly I don't think Adelman is that good of a social modderfogger, but he has a strong reputation as a player's coach because he has a great system, and when Adelman corrects you, it makes sense to the players and the players genuinely feel like Adelman is right and they need to correct their mistakes (unless you are, you know, the squid, then obviously it's always everybody else's mistake).

When a coach's system is mediocre, when it doesn't make sense to the players, then every attempt at "teaching" is a potential conflict. When a coach insists on a particularly stupid implementation of "ball movement" and the players try to improvise a little with something that makes a bit more sense and gets yelled at, that's when you start hearing whispers of "losing the team." When you lay the ball up and you hear it on the sidelines for not running the "right" wrong system, that's when you have a problem. Vinny del Negro's certainly learned this the hard way when he was coaching in CHI, even with a very tactful Rose, but VDN lived, and he learned, and he's doing a lot better now.

McHale's apparently quickly compiling a history of this classic coaching trap, and he has apparently learned absolutely nothing from last year. Certainly Budinger and Lowry were not shy about hinting at it after they have left the team. Obviously Lin is a lot more tactful about these sorts of things, but you get the feeling that Lin is itching more and more to "freelance" some more on offense now trying to win, and gets yelled at whenever something goes wrong while he "freelances."

1 person likes this.
  6. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

what i think mchale is doing is developing our depth and versatility and hiding some cards for when it matters the most- the playoffs...

7. brick

brick Member

Well said ! I have a speculation that McHale doesn't know guards' game well enough and is not comfortable with the complexity of PnR.

8. landryfans

landryfans Member

Nice, post more :eek:

9. manlisten

manlisten Member

Does anyone have vids/gifs of Blake Griffin's flops against Parsons and Omer? I am trying to make a point on another forum :)

10. Fighton

Fighton Member

wish there's a way to chart this out but i remember thinking last night - whenever lin was playing the pg for a possession and gets screens here and there to initiate things, good things usually happen. he finds the open man, he penetrate and dishes to get open looks, he takes it to the rim... i mean, things just looked easier. but for some reason delfino, parson, and omg-what-the-frack-is-he-doing morris insisted on playing pg and trying to initiate and create while looking very, very slow and clumsy. i don't get it at all. this is okay by mchale? he is cool with this?

i get needing other to initiate the offense once in a while to relieve lin so maybe that's why we're seeing this but those guys just look so clumsy doing it and nothing good really comes out of it. parsons is great coming off of a pick and getting into the paint or spotting up at the 3. he also finishes great when cutting into the lane and receiving the ball at the elbow. but not very good taking his man off the dribble.

it was such a frustrating game to watch because it me, it was winnable but we kept shooting ourselves in the foot with little mistakes here and there. lin also looked to be hurt after that big no-call tumble. bledsoe basically checked him while he was in the air and landed on his tailbone. he physically just wasn't there in the second half.

11. holly1985

holly1985 Member

In McHale's system, everyone'll handle the ball, trying to find the open man for a three. When our three falls, it works. Otherwise, it's a disaster.

12. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I dont get this either, it's childish yet stupid.

13. webattorney

webattorney Member

I consider myself an unbiased observer of Lin and Rockets' play, but I wanted to say opposing team's PGs get many screens to work with, but Lin hardly gets any. I realize that Mac's offensive scheme is based on quick passes and shoot threes or drive, so that there is no real PG out there, but if this is the case, he has to hold everyone accountable. I often see Harden screw up big time on D, I see Parsons make dumb plays often, but it appears to me that Mac gets especially mad at Lin when he's playing well and makes one or two dumb mistakes. For example, yesterday, Lin could and should have had at least 30 points the way he started the game. The funny thing is Rockets could have won the game even yesterday if they were coached better. I realize that Rockets' players have big holes, but the first thing Mac has to do is hold everyone accountable like Woodson does with Knicks. And he also has to allow players to play through mistakes and give them confidence. No wonder all former PGs didn't get along with Mac and left the Rockets.

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Damm, how many pages of coach blaming do we have already o_O?

15. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Can Lin press charges? McHale deserves prison time.

Sampson can be his cellmate. Better cheer next time.

16. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

Chill out heres something for you...a serious men should never take themselves serious....
    [​IMG]

17. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

I feel the same way.

18. mothman

mothman Member

I do not know if McHale has any agenda on Lin, so let's not speculate. However, his courtside "hair-dryer" treatment is certainly not applied consistently to all the players who made costly mistakes. That to me is bad player management.

Since you use the Pop eg, are you aware that Pop yells at everybody including Tim Duncan?

In his excellent 21 Shades of Grey about Tim Duncan, Chris Ballard described how the Spurs coach was “allowed to” yell at his star player:

Most important, he’s allowed Popovich to coach him. For 15 straight seasons Pop has gone after his franchise player in practice. We’re talking neck veins bulging, spittle flying, a Gatling gun of obscenities. And all Duncan has done is stare back, absorbing it. “He hasn’t always liked it,” says former teammate Sean Elliott, now a team announcer, “but he takes it. You know how important that is for the rest of the team to see?”

Or, as one Spurs coach puts it, “How could a guy like Stephen Jackson complain when Pop was motherf—— Tim every day?”

The thing with the current Rockets system is there are a few ball handlers in the team. If the coach wants to be tough on his players, he should at least showed it to all the players, and not be selective about it. It should start from the top, i.e. the team leader, best player who is also the primary ball handler.

19. Fighton

Fighton Member

he got hurt towards the end of 1st half. he was never the same after that point. even needed x-ray after the game so i wouldn't say the coaches limited lin in the second half or what not.

20. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

"Point guard by commitee" was largely responsible for 21 turnovers last night. That including 20% 3 point shooting, bad substitutions (Asik and Patterson played around 25 minutes while Morris who was shooting terrible played 29) and poor defense were reponsible for the loss. All these factors (except maybe the 3 point shooting) are coaching problems.