1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Clippers 2/13/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Great evidences.

2. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Thats simply not true. I highly doubt you actually watched the game recently.
    Jeremy has been nothing but consistent as of late. Last 10 games? 15.5/6.8 on 47.7% shooting while averaging 30mins per game, thats pretty efficient as well. He has turned his corner as the second fiddle.

Let's put aside the fact that Lin injured his wrist --- in the second half, especially the 3rd qtr, Chandler Parsons handled the ball way more than Lin did.

No, Lin did not get the freedom to do whatever he wanted last night, whether he should or shouldnt is another question.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Nope, I always give Lin credit when he does something good on the basketball court, unfortunately it just doesn't happen very often.

I thought he played very well against Golden State the first time.

I watch every game religiously, because I am a fanatic. If he is not handling the ball, its because he is being passive, thats on him, not someone else. And you can't be consistent for ten games, when the month before are all bad games. Lowering your sample size does not make someone consistent.

What infuriates me the most about Lin is him dribbling the shot clock down, creates nothing, then passes off to a covered Patterson or Parsons with 2 seconds left making them take an offbalance, highly contested heave. He does this like 3-4 times a game, which are basically turnovers.

I also hate how he drives straight into the lane, jumps, tries to turn around in mid air to pass back to the perimeter with no idea who he is going to pass too before he jumps. He tries to use his quickness to break down a defense, without knowing who is going to open where as a result. Its chaotic at best. Does it work sometimes? Sure.

He starts making better decisions with the ball and can actually start consistently making an outside shot, we might have something, until then all we have is a mediocre PG who will be outclassed on any given night because of how much PG talent there is in the league.

#2223 larsv8, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  4. Karolik

Karolik Member

I think this game shows all positions on this team are tradable except for SG. I honestly thought Parsons and Lin had more talent and it wasn't 90% James Harden, but to me they showed they're not ready to be the focal point of any offense right now. Very disappointing, but too high expectations from me for average players I guess. I'm terrified at the thought of James Harden getting hurt.

5. howo13579

howo13579 Member

Even though it was a blow out (should've been double digit if Paul was in more min), I still felt this game wasn't as bad as it looked. If we could shoot as efficient as Clips, we could have the game. It's not like we have fewer open shots than clips do. Many of their long jumpers are contested but they just couldn't miss. Pretty much all our 3 pointers other than a couple are all wide open. We just couldn't buy a basket. If Delfino can't shoot, he's useless on the court. So I feel we have a team that is as good as Clippers and DMo's performance last night is like saying f u to McHale for not playing him before. I still would like coaching staffs to change. McHale is ok imo. Sampson needs to go. The guys has no integrity. Except that hack a Ho Lakers game (Lin was just horrible that game), he has shown he's biased against Lin. No, I'm not LOF. I'm just disgusted whenever Lin missed a shot or made a bad pass, camera always showed Sampson shaking his head like Lin is some kind of scrub. He does the same thing with Asik sometimes as well. It's just really disturbing.

6. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

[Sighs] Many people here are still turning a blind eye to these big contrasts in behaviors towards different players.

They just allow their thinking to filter out those sights.

7. Fighton

Fighton Member

he had a great 1st half until he took a big fall on his tailbone and hollins stepped on his foot and ankle while he was still down. he was very limited physically after that point, even though he still took it strong to the hoop a few times but didn't convert.

had to get right hand x-rayed after the game.

you would've known on this if you had actually watched the game.

8. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Clippers are championship contenders, we are not. It was a blow out last time we played the clippers, James wasnt injured.

If anything, we tried really hard and came close enough to make it a game multiple times.

Just because 1 game against an elite opponent you came up with this "average players" idea...Guess what, we are still in the top 8 in the tough west. I'd take those average players any day of the week and see what they do for more than a season.

9. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Totally agreed.

10. pnr

pnr Member

Do people know that we lost by 8 points last time we played the Clips without CP3 or Billups and that was on our home court? That game also wasn't on a B2B.

11. pnr

pnr Member

Why dont you wait til the season is over before you claim his past 10 games are just a "hot streak"? He also had a very good December month too.

12. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Yeah...Maybe they thought that game didnt count.

13. Akim523

Akim523 Member

No, I did not lower the sample size, I made an accurate claim based on a certain period where Lin played consistently good basketball, shot well, efficient and most importantly, team has been winnning,

I did not make any claim that he has been consistent through out the season, he hasnt been.

You are nit-picking his game, I

14. mothman

mothman Member

I watched every damn game. If it's behind the scene, it's still selective.

15. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

I just wanted to say something about Lin, McHale and Lowry.

One of the problems, in my opinion, with Lowry is that he couldn't take McHale's style. He couldn't take the criticism.

Jeremy can take the criticism. And the example of how McHale treated Lowry should end any conversation that "McHale has an agenda against Lin." Unless you want to get into "McHale has an agenda against all his point guards" which would, of course, mean that McHale has an agenda with staying employed as a head coach because he needs his point guards to play well.

The Popovich and Parker example is a good one, I think. Give Jeremy a couple of year, and he will thank McHale for being hard on him.

The coaches in the league, many of them, are too soft now. You have to be tough on players if you want them to improve. If the coach lets the player do anything, the player won't learn.

The point guard runs the offense. There is extra responsibility on that position.

16. Grigori

Grigori Member

Not really.

How well the Rockets do appears to be directly proportional to how often Lin brings the ball up and pass it off within the first 2 sec, the more Lin brings the ball up and pass it off within the first 2 sec, the worse the Rockets' offense. This has been very consistent through stretches.

The season has basically gone like this:

2-0: Free offense.

7-10: Lin immediate pass-off offense. Harden's efficiency dropped way down during this stretch, and the stretch came to an abrupt end when Harden sat out the San Antonio game.

12-3: A ton of Lin screens to initiate the offense. Harden's efficiency went way up here. I guess seeing Harden's efficiency has gone back up, they decided to switch back to Lin immediate pass-off offense again, but this time with a vengeance.

1-7: Strict Lin immediate pass-off offense. Almost losing the final game of the stretch to a crappy team appears to have ended this stretch.

There were some exceptions to the stretches, obviously, most noteably NYK games where Lin was allowed to initiate the offense with something other than a pass off in the first 2 sec, and the TOR game where McHale called a timeout and "adjusted" to have no more screens set for 2.5 quarters after Asik fumbled two passes early in PnR.

Current stretch: They are now doing a mix bag from game to game. Sometimes they will have a game with screen offense initiation, sometimes they will go back to Lin immediate pass-off offense. We still are a very mediocre team running the Lin immediate pass-off offense and rock when we initiate offense off screens. Sometimes they will make a halftime adjustment from one to the other (SAC game was the first time I have seen that they make a halftime adjustment from Lin immediate pass-off offense to screen initiation offense, too bad Lin had to sit out with foul trouble by the time McHale was running the right offense. Every other time the adjusted away from screens).

Last night at LAC was the classic example of Lin immediate pass-off offense. I mean, McHale was having one of those hand-to-the-mouth moments with Asik early after an attempted screen for the ball carrier. He was pretty obviously unhappy every time there wasn't somebody there to meet Lin's pass right off the bat or if Lin held on to the ball after crossing halfcourt when a player came up to get the ball ($500 says when McHale yelled at Lin in the 4th the words were something along the line of "Move the god**** ball!").

I mean, it's a "competent," but mediocre offense. We still got some open shots, and we can win if they fall, but when we initiate the offense off the screen, we are brilliant, when we don't we are merely competent and mediocre.

17. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I pressed the wrong button and accidentally posted the unfinished reply.

Lets continue.

You could say the same thing about almost any player in this league, when something is not happening, either you pass the ball or chuck up a shot yourself. No one in this league will guarantee you a good shot every possession, sometimes you make that pass, sometimes you just have to launch it yourself.

Lin does have limited handles and dribbling skills, thats why he's not the primary ball handler when Harden is simply superior in almost every single category sans raw assist numbers.

But last night's game was different, when Harden wasn't playing, Lin should be handling the ball most of the time, not Parsons, not Beverly, not Carlos friggin Delfino. He should not have been sitting on his arse for 7 minutes before coach called his name. He needed to get multiple screens set for him, just like what Clippers did last night every single trip down the court for CP3 and Crawford.

Oh wait, Lin was still this second fiddle when Harden wasnt playing.

NVM.

18. mothman

mothman Member

I did not say Lin is the only player McHale yelled at. What I did say was not all players were held to the same standard of accountability, or rather the same type of "hair-dryer treatment" during game time. And I've watched every damn game. If it's behind the scene, it's still selective.

19. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Good point.

20. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i am tired of those LOHs. if they're real rox fans. how can they trash players of their beloved team due to a reason that LOFs are bother them on this board? shame on them.