1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Kevin McHale after Houston's 118-110 loss to Denver 1/30/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 31, 2013.

1. cw3k

cw3k Member

So you agreed that when he sat both Lin, Harden, Asik and Peterson was a good thing? There was no PG and no big man in the court. Wtf was he thinking?

2. Grigori

Grigori Member

To each his own I suppose. Personally, I rather watch that than a coach who f***s up royally, takes no responsibility, then blames everything from Lindbergh's baby being kidnapped to the Kennedy assassination on his players.

3. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Definitely 3 and probably more. Portland, Dallas, San Antonio. Could be at least 28-20 by now - in 7th place ahead of Utah and game behind Denver.

4. dazzle116

dazzle116 New Member

McHale apparently did not think that benching Lin for a whole quarter has a big impact on the game. What he is basically saying is that he believe the game is winnable with the rotation he used, only if the players played better/smarter.

I do not know what to say.

2 people like this.
  5. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

Wow i almost cried a little :grin:

Soon J.Smith will be here to save the 4 position

6. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

I am greedy, just give us one big man, can catch the ball and finish it in traffic. and avg about 14 rbs.

7. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

:grin:

8. pacmania

pacmania Member

Anyone noticed how Mchale tried to copycat George Karl's substitution patterns. He went small when Karl went small. He benched jeremy lin and only brought him back when Karl brought back Ty Lawson.

Immitation is indeed the highest form of flattery and a surefire way to lose the game. It is a mistake to go small when the other coach goes small.

9. New

you are right about young players making mistakes... But this does not mean that only the players are responsible for the game. There are many posts that point out Mchale's incompetency in managing the minutes and calling time outs.

Mchale only has 3 years coaching experience. He might eventually get better but the question is how long?

10. brick

brick Member

That's funny, definitely a lack of confidence about his own game plan.

11. sammsung987

sammsung987 Member

Thats what he was doing? then he got pwned.. ty was having a bad game.

12. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

what he tried to say is whoever he put in the game could win if he played like MJ. it's so true.:grin:

13. kofantasy

kofantasy Member

It's tempting to blame this loss on Harden because of his 6 TOs, but really, this was a defensive collapse. Asik also had 7 TOs. Harden played well other than that. Lin played well. We just let them score too much.

14. kofantasy

kofantasy Member

You really cant blame this loss on anybody else but the coach. The team stats were nearly identical to each other but mchale chose to leave his bench in when the scores were close going into the fourth. Get your head out of the gutter McHale, when your team has no momentum by scoring no points in nearly 4 mins, get your starters back in!

15. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

At least he's consistent in being inconsistent.

16. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I think that is the reason we lost and by taking to long to put Omer back in the game in the 4th quarter, at least we would have had a better chance then we did.

17. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

the fact that we only had 3 points lead going into the fourth quarter yet mchale stayed with the all bench line up is realy mind boggling...

well at the very least, I hope that the coaching staff learns from this experience...

18. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

you can maybe do this to sub 500 teams but you can never do this to playoff teams...

19. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

It's funny because Karl wanted to go small to try and close the gap because we were killing them on the glass and their offense was stagnant. Instead McHale 'counters' by going small and getting absolutely, comprehensively crushed. He must've forgot how good Denver was at grabbing offensive boards and Kenneth Faried.

And Karl pulled Lawson because he was getting absolutely burned by Lin all night, so you'd think McHale would keep Lin out there and see if Andre 'defensive stopper' Miller could somehow affect Lin from penetrating at will but instead he keeps him on the bench.

I also saw Morris getting burned on defense all night long once again, does McHale not ever take not of how bad this d-league is? I mean surely it can't be that hard to notice how clueless he is.

20. mothman

mothman Member

Can somebody pls help to explain what McHale meant by "Decided we were going to do it on our own."

The way I see it, if the Rockets does not do it on it's own, who is going to help the us? Denver?