1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Y Sports Radio] Calvin Murphy: Jeremy Lin Needs The Ball In His Hands

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bball7, Jan 25, 2013.

1. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good questions from John Granato and Sean Pendergast. Some quotes from Calvin Murphy:

Granato: What happened from that time where Jeremy Lin was getting it to right now?

The problem I feel that Jeremy Lin is having when he's on the floor with James Harden, who of course is a hell of a player in his own right... Jeremy Lin is a point guard and the point guard has got to have the ball. Well, what you're having in this stretch is I believe too much monopolizing on the part of James Harden controlling the ball, where it's putting Jeremy Lin in the position of the two-guard, and that's not what he plays. Jeremy Lin is at his best when he is the orchestrator of the offense, and as of late it hasn't happened.

Pendergast: Calvin, is Jeremy just too passive from that standpoint?

It's not about (Jeremy) being too passive. It's about whoever is calling the shots for the team, and that would be Kevin McHale, making it known that Jeremy has got to have the ball in his hands.

Granato: If you take it out of James Harden's hands, that's the guy that you're building the franchise around, is he going to be able to be as effective?

He's a two-guard. What does a two-guard do? He finishes the play. I played both positions when I was in the pros. I was a point guard when I first came in (and) I moved over to the two-guard, so he's the finisher. What he's got to do is be able to finish without having the ball in his hands for eight seconds.

Granato: Patrick Patterson and his role. He seems to be another guy who is getting less time and less production. What are we going to see out of that four position for the Rockets?

If the Rockets are going to win, they're going to have to get something out of the four position, be it Patterson or Morris, and there's not enough productivity out of that position between the two of them. Now, depending on matchup situations, Patterson needs to get more inside play. He's a hell of a player, by the way. I don't think that he's seen enough of the ball when he's down low. What he's done is he's become the new era of big forwards. He's taken it out to the perimeter and he hasn't been shooting well, so his defender is not coming out with him. So if he's not shooting and not rebounding, you've got a position that's wasted.

1 person likes this.
  3. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

PPat's fault for too soft?

4. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

So basically Calvin Murphy is saying that our offensive scheme/plan is a mess, players' role is confusing... He is only short of calling out the coaching stuff. :p

Meh, we have been talking about all the above for quite some time. The fans on this site are the smartest. :grin:

5. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I disagree with this. One of the great things about Jeremy when he is playing well is that he is a strong finisher. When his shot is falling he's so hard to guard because he can get to the rim so well.

6. torocan

torocan Member

Being the PG isn't being the Man, it's doing the job he was brought to the Rockets to do.

And those aren't necessarily mutually exclusive objectives.

I don't think it takes away from Harden to have Lin facilitate and initiate the offense, however I do believe it stagnates the offense and stifles Lin and Beverly if Harden becomes not Alpha and Omega of the Rockets offense.

Yes, Harden CAN initiate plays and pass well. However, I believe he is better served, as well as the team, if McHale introduces more clarity and initiates more offensive sets through Lin and Beverly and letting the offensive sets evolve more naturally versus trying to force the offense through Harden.

It may result in the odd loss, but I believe the team will be better in the long run if they play better Team basketball in terms of establishing an offensive identity. I also believe that when players are involved in the offensive end, they play better at the defensive end.

I don't think it's an accident that very successful coaches turned commentator like JVG and Hubie Brown talk repeatedly about rewarding players, rewarding the big men, and rewarding players who run and play good defense.

7. Roxnostalgia

Oh dear...

8. onreego

onreego Member

[​IMG]

9. split41

split41 Member

Not sure if this is a joke or not, but he's a rockets legend: HOFer, all-time rockets assist leader, second in career points in rockets history (behind Hakeem). Yes, he's credible.

10. Roxnostalgia

Agree completely. I was differentiating between Calvin and what would be a (and I HATE this term) LOF.

11. torocan

torocan Member

NBA All-Star (1979)
    NBA All-Rookie First Team (1971)
    J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award (1979)
    2× Consensus NCAA All-American First Team (1969–1970)
    Consensus NCAA All-American Second Team (1968)
    #23 Retired by the Houston Rockets

Murphy was one of the best free-throw shooters ever, setting NBA records for most consecutive free throws made and for the highest free throw percentage in a season in 1980-1981. Both records have since been broken. He set many records within the Rockets organization, including that of all-time leading scorer until that record was broken in 1994 by Hakeem Olajuwon. The Rockets made it to the NBA Finals in 1981, losing to the Boston Celtics in six games. After retiring from the NBA in 1983, Calvin Murphy was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1993.[2][/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Murphy

12. jocar

jocar Member

Oops, I should've said "Harden's fault for trying to do too much". "Ballhog" was a knock on some of the posts in here

13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

So on point!

Murphy for next Rockets coach lol

14. TTNN

TTNN Member

I'm so glad this is coming out of a HOF, not from a 2012er. :)

15. Caris

Caris Member

WOW. My curiosity is piqued.
    I hope the 40% in Houston would post Calvin's future commentaries on this thread (or a Calvin thread).

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Wow are you being for real or just trying to rile up people. CM is a rockets great and the best TV announcer they ever had.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Tell it like it is! I love it.

18. Karolik

Karolik Member

Whatever our offense is right now, it is not working. I don't care how you change it, just make sure it works. Sadly I don't think McHale knows how?

19. norcalhussla

norcalhussla Member

that HOF is a damn LOF...

20. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

check your sarcasm meter :rolleyes: