1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damn, Happy New Year Daequan Cook (waived)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shawndme7, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

We knew it was happening, but coldblooded Daryl loves waiving guys on Holidays.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/12/rockets-report-suspension-on-table-for-white/

The Rockets took no action Monday regarding rookie Royce White’s not reporting to their NBA Development League affiliate.

White said in a statement Sunday that he would not comply with the assignment, but he was not scheduled to join the Rio Grande Valley Vipers until Monday.

Rockets officials were still considering their next step, which could include a suspension.

White worked out last week with basketball staff intern Derrick Alston, but Rockets coach Kevin McHale said at the time he did not know how White was doing or if he would be able to contribute this season.

Anderson signing misses deadline

The Rockets did not complete the signing of forward James Anderson on Monday in time for Anderson to be put on the roster for their game against the Hawks.

Anderson was in the locker room before the game hoping to get word by the 5 p.m. deadline to suit up.

The Rockets will cut Daequan Cook to create room to sign Anderson.

“He’s a good, diligent defender,” coach Kevin McHale said of Anderson. “He’s a guy who knows how to play. I’m looking forward to getting him out here and seeing how he fits in our system.”

Turnover trouble subsides in win

After consecutive games with a season-high 24 turnovers, the Rockets cut them to 11 Monday, with just two in the second half.

The Hawks average 17.8 points off turnovers but scored just 12.

“It was big for us,” Rockets coach Kevin McHale said. “We just can’t afford to turn the ball over. If we don’t do that and we make just good and simple plays, usually we can get some pretty good shots with some movement, and our guys knocked them down tonight.”

I wonder if it was awkward for Daequan to be in the locker room with th eguy he was about to be waived for.

2. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Bout damn time Morey son

3. art

art Member

good luck to cook, he'll land somewhere.
    #cooksanity

4. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

I didnt see cook at the game last night

5. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

Cook won't be a free agent for long. A playoff team would sign him right away.

6. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

At first I felt bad for him. Then I remembered he's filthy rich because he can shoot a basketball.

7. torocan

torocan Member

At least it wasn't on Christmas. Best of luck to Cook.

8. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Memphis will sign him

9. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

If the remainder of his $3.1 million deal is not guaranteed then it sucks to be him.

If it is, then it may be a nice opportunity to double-dip and get paid by another team at the same time.

Either way, it's hard to shed a tear for a bench rider making that much bank. I'm not an Oklahoma City Thunder historian or anything, but I think Cook originally got that deal upon Kevin Durant's urging that they resign Cook and beef up their perimeter shooting. And welp, Kevin Durant ain't no Houston Rocket.

Best of luck in your future endeavors Daequan.

10. peter2012

peter2012 Member

I think cook is better than aldrich.

11. split41

split41 Member

The holiday season isn't complete without Morey waiving somebody.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Waiving DQ meant nada financially, so ... what.

Destination: I'm guessing Minny.

13. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Records show Cook was the 4th highest-paid Rocket this season. (Not counting the amnestied Scola, who is technically still on the Rockets' books even now.)

And yet Cook could not crack the rotation. That's a very non-Morey situation right there, no wonder he was cut.

14. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

The contract is guaranteed for all 3,090,942 dollars. Reminds me of the quote from Moneyball where Billy Bean says to David Justice that the Yankees think so highly of him that they're willing to pay him to play against them. I feel the same with Cook... At times he literally looked like he was playing for the other team.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Cook will be a good bencher for someone surely...

16. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

In that case, I've got something for Cook:

[​IMG]

17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

perspective of roles though, Aldrich is much more needed than Cook.

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Cook should be happy. Maybe he will get picked up by a team that can give him some minutes.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Cook will sign with a WC playoff contender and destroy us with 8+ threes in the decisive game 7 vs. them.

20. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Cook is a good player. Thought he should've gotten TD's minutes earlier in the season before TD got hot. Reminds me of Livingston getting cut. Oh well.