1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TX GOP Rep Embarrasses Texas with his comments on the shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Jul 20, 2012.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Louie Gohmert: Aurora Shootings Result Of 'Ongoing Attacks On Judeo-Christian Beliefs'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/louie-gohmert-aurora-shootings_n_1689099.html

12 people die and the only thing this idiot cares about is spouting his own agenda. Guess, Texas can't complain, they voted for him.

2. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Admittedly, this is bull****.

Meanwhile, those on the left try to link this to the Tea Party and immediately call for tougher gun control laws. I'm sure you're upset about that too, yes?

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. Hightop

Hightop Member

Half-Assed Media Speculation About the Batman Shooter
    Matt Welch | July 20, 2012

Undeterred by how wrong they got the Columbine shootings 13 years ago, or how disgustingly politicized they turned Jared Loughner's 2011 rampage, the humans who work for and talk with journalistic outlets are again rushing to speculative judgment about Jim Holmes, the suspected Batman murderer in Aurora, Colorado. Some examples:

* ABC News reporter Brian Ross points a tentative finger at the Tea Party:

"There's a Jim Holmes of Aurora, Colorado, page on the Colorado Tea Party site as well, talking about him joining the Tea Party last year....Now, we don't know if this is the same Jim Holmes. But it's Jim Holmes of Aurora, Colorado."

(Stat-nerd Nate Silver cautions: "Per my math, there are ~25 people named James Holmes in Denver metro. So careful unless you have info specifically IDing alleged shooter.")

* Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) blames the opponents of Judeo-Christian theology:

During a radio interview on The Heritage Foundation's "Istook Live!" show, Gohmert was asked why he believes such senseless acts of violence take place. Gohmert responded by talking about the weakening of Christian values in the country.

"Some of us happen to believe that when our founders talked about guarding our virtue and freedom, that that was important," he said. "Whether it's John Adams saying our Constitution was made only for moral and religious people ... Ben Franklin, only a virtuous people are capable of freedom, as nations become corrupt and vicious they have more need of masters. We have been at war with the very pillars, the very foundation of this country."

"You know what really gets me, as a Christian, is to see the ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs, and then some senseless crazy act of a derelict takes place."

* Northeastern University criminologist Jack Levin makes a clinical diagnosis and blames bullying:

Levin theorized the gunman was "chronically depressed," likely having suffered some type of recent loss — perhaps a job or a relationship — and had become isolated. [...]

"We don't know enough about him to be sure, but my guess is he's kind of like a bullied youngster who feels humiliated and ignored and decides he can be important by taking many lives, so he becomes a big-shot celebrity," Levin said.

* Ex-FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt on MSNBC says Holmes could be a "dark, Trekkie-like person." UPDATE: Watch the video!

Will update as (unfortunately) necessary.

UPDATE 1: On CNN, profiler Pat Brown blames violent video games:

teenage psychopaths get inspired by [video games] and want to make it real.

UPDATE 2: The Daily Mail suspects Occupy Wall Street:

one private investigator has said that Holmes may have been part of Occupy Wall Street's most violent faction Occupy Black Bloc.

Bill Warner told how the Batman movie portrays the OWS crowd in a negative vein, leading him to believe that may have been a cause behind gunman's rage.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Usually when there's a mass killing with guns people reasonably ask for tougher restrictions on guns. It's common sense.

6. Rockets_Fan15

Rockets_Fan15 Rookie

Common sense, you say?

http://gunowners.org/sk0802.htm

7. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

It may be 'understandable' to a degree but I'm not so sure I'd call it 'common sense.' The common sense approach would be to use logic and realize that this was a mass murder by a crazy nut, who would've committed these atrocities somehow no matter what gun control laws were on the books. To use it as an opportunity to push a political agenda (on both sides) is completely unnecessary.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Louis Gohmert is a such an embarrassment. Between this, calling Hillary Clinton's aide a stooge for the Muslim Brotherhood and his idiotic terror baby claims, it's amazing that people elect this guy.

I'm ashamed to be a Texan when someone like him represents us in Washington.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I'm from Longview, I'm just a little older than Gohmert, many of my friends that still live there know Gohmert. Half of them say he's an idiot.... the other half are teabaggers.

Another friend from there who ran as a Pro-business, Family Values conservative got wiped up by a firebrand teabagger.

I'm so proud.

11. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Louie is a blithering fool....

[​IMG]

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

ignorance is strength!

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. Anticope

Anticope Member

Right, comments by people on Twitter definitely justify Gohmert making those comments. Are you five years old? Do you have kids? If you do, do you teach them that it is OK to say/do something as long as somebody else has said/done something that they deem to be equally wrong?

15. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Right, comments by Gohmert definitely justify people on Twitter making those comments. Are you five years old? Do you have kids? If you do, do you teach them that it is OK to say/do something as long as somebody else has said/done something that they deem to be equally wrong?

16. Anticope

Anticope Member

Where did I say that those peoples' accusations were justified either? I'm pointing out that Tallanvor somehow thinks that it's OK that Gohmert made those comments because a few people on Twitter linked the shooting to Limbaugh. Although, I guess I'm just assuming that since he didn't add any commentary at all and chose to let a blog speak for him.

17. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Yep...and yet you decided to throw insults based off of an assumption.

The bottom line is, whoever wants to prematurely link this to anything other than an vil man doing evil things clearly has an agenda.

18. Anticope

Anticope Member

Not insults, just questioning the childlike mindset of some in here.

I agree 100%.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still to this day do not understand why people need assault rifles.

20. Anticope

Anticope Member

To reinforce their Christian values, duh.