1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did Carroll Dawson trade Rudy Gay for Battier???????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Johnson2000, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Johnson2000

Johnson2000 Member

To this day, i still dont get it

I remmeber it like it was yesterday( their was talk Rudy Gay would go to the Bobcats) when Rudy Gay fell to us, i was shocked, and excited. Then Marc Stein shows up right after the commericals and says that the Rockets are close to trading the draft rights to Rudy Gay and Stromile Swift to Memphis for Shane Battier. I literraly couldnt believe, not only did i not know who the heck Shane Battier was, i really didnt think the Rockets could be that dumb

But im am now starting to understand why CD might have done it, coming out of Connecticut, Rudy Gay compared strongly to Scottie Pippen( i have always believed that CD did not want Rudy Gay. (because of that comparison). I know its a very foolish assesment, but thats the only reason i could think of, for even considering doing that trade( especially coming of the heels, of TMAC being close to declining with injuries)

here is a link below to Rudy Gay's draft profile

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/rudy-gay

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[​IMG]

That draft was heavily influenced by Morey, by all indications. It was a "win-now" deal. The Rockets made themselves better for a few years, hoping it would be enough to take advantage of McGrady and Yao's prime years. It wasn't.

2 people like this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yay, another one of these threads.

This has been discussed ad naseum. The Rockets were trying to be a contender, not looking to take on a young player with upside, but limited ability to contribute to wins immediately.

Moreover, it's been generally agreed that had the Rockets kept they pick, they wouldn't have selected Rudy Gay anyway.

I rate this thread TERRIBLE.

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

The fact that you did not know who Shane Battier was says it all. Shouldn't this have been posted about four years ago? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  5. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

They were trying to build around tmac and yao and shane was a better fit at the time. he could defend, could shoot the three and was a great entry passer.. perfect fit for the duo

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

They should have picked Kyle Lowry, not Rudy Gay.

:grin:

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That was a Morey move....

DD

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Because you touch yourself, Kent.

9. Johnson2000

Johnson2000 Member

Rudy could do all those things(shoot, defend, and is a decent passer into the post), i became a full fledged Rockets Fan in 2005, i really dont understand that trade(even at the time it happened)

TMAC could have mentored Rudy Gay

10. Johnson2000

Johnson2000 Member

Kyle Lowry was a great move for Morey, along with getting Landry, and Scola

But i still dont get how you dont take a chance on a 19 year old( with that much upside)

11. DaDakota

Outside of Donte Green whom they traded right away, the Rox have gone more with guys who played longer in college.

Seems like maybe they believe that is mitigating the risk somewhat by seeing how they developed at that level.

We need to take a bit more risk, IMO.

DD

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Van Gundy move. One I have no regrets about.

13. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

OP you are a joke thinking we gave up on Gay b/c CD thought he was similar to Pippen. We traded for Battier for his defense and experience b/c CD thought we would be close to championship contender. My how quickly we forget the 2009 playoffs taking LA to game 7 without Yao for 5 of those games.

14. DaDakota

I was ok with it too, at the time TMac and Yao were the stars, but maybe they should have taken a page from Rudy T, and realized that young players can contribute and it is better to keep them than to go for the safe role player veterans.

A good mix is important.

DD

15. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

The fact that you didn't know who Shane Battier was pretty much explains why you didn't understand the trade.

For people that DID know who Battier was, the trade made perfect sense at the time. He was an outstanding defender, a great passer into the post, very intelligent, and had no problem being a role player.

In hindsight, it would have been nice to keep Rudy considering the circumstances... but GMs can't live in hindsight.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Rudy Gay couldn't do all those things his first couple of seasons. He was a worse version of Tmac that can't pass or defend. Inserting him to a contender team made little sense since him and Tmac were redundant and equally worthless on defense.

I had no problem with that move, hindsight's 20/20 who would've thought Yao and Tmac's body decayed liked that.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

nbadraft.net is always the most reliable source for player projections. Every NBA GM uses it to project their players.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Did Gay have a big highlight last night?

19. Johnson2000

Johnson2000 Member

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I knew who Battier was at the time and I was pissed when this trade went down. The rockets were fine on defense under Van Gundy they needed another threat, that trade just showed how much the rockets didn't believe in there own future.

They should have paid more attention to there bench, because lack of depth is what caused us to lose in the first round. Yao and Tracy had the starting five doing great things, it's when we went to the bench that we had major problems.