1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Derrick Mason cut; roster spot going to special teams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Cat, Dec 12, 2011.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1138267&nid=5895645&fhn=1

The Mason cut was easy to see coming. His speed is awful, and his hands seem to be slipping as well. Hopefully this means a new kick returner, after the epic fail that was the McManus experiment...

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He had two drops yesterday, IIRC, and has been mostly invisible, otherwise. The big upside to this is that it likely means they're expecting AJ to be back healthy this week. Can't believe they'd lessen their WR depth if was still questionable.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Special teams huh?? I'm gonna go ahead and say it goes to a kick returner.....Trindon Holliday again possibly?

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

^Good call. Our kick-returning game is the worst in the NFL.

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

He had two drops yesterday on simple passes. One of them didn't' mean much since it wouldn't have been a first down, but I believe the other would have been.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

If Derrick Mason was a little bit faster he would be Jacoby Jones. :grin:

*chuckle*

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. We need a kick returner bad, or they just need to start kneeling it every time it is in the end zone.

Hopefully this is a sign that AJ is fine and will be ready to roll next week.

9. The Bird

The Bird Member

Bring back Jerome Mathis...if he's in good shape.

10. Win

Win Contributing Member

Too bad - seemed like a good fit at first. Mason had a good career but appears to be washed up now.

11. YaosDirtyStache

I heard rumors of a JJ Moses return.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I still don't like having only 4 wide receivers. Maybe whoever they bring in on ST will also be our 5th receiver.

Our return game sucked in the preseason. You saw a lot of what we saw yesterday, returns that only came out to the 10 or 15. Then Manning took over for the regular season and everything was OK. I was actually surprised that McMannis hadn't been bad until yesterday, but we did have 3 games where we didn't have a KO return.

13. DreamRoxCoogFan

Am I the only one who thinks Jacoby is an awful returner? He spends a ton of time drifting laterally or going side to side rather than up the field. I think we have a fairly large sample size to say that he is pretty much average, if that.

14. Svpernaut

We have three tight ends (well two TE and one FB) that can line up as wide outs, Arian Foster can also, like he did on the final play yesterday. We'll be fine in that regard, at least through the end of the season.

I'd imagine that Rick Smith is looking for a 5th receiver for the playoff roster, Derrick Mason was horrible. Still a lot of games to play before that though.

15. Svpernaut

No, you're not the only one. For every good return he has 8-10 really bad returns. He did have a good return in the fourth quarter that did help however. He just needs to get vertical a lot faster... I'm fine with his jukes, it is his running 30 yards horizontal to get 2 yards vertical that kills me.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

MarkBermanFox26 Mark Berman

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Hmm. According to Berman, the roster spot may go to Jeff Maehl off the practice squad. I like Maehl as a receiver, but definitely throws cold water on the idea that Andre was due back or that we'd be signing a return man. :(

https://twitter.com/#!/MarkBermanFox26

18. YaosDirtyStache

Time for us to go to the Maehl room

1 person likes this.
  19. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

on houstontexans.com, it's b/t maehl and trindon holliday. personally, i want to see the speed of trindon holliday on the field...come on, sign him!

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Jacoby is a slightly above average punt returner. Nothing special, but he shouldn't be considered bad at returning by any means outside of anecdotal analysis. Aggravating, yes, but there are a lot of crappier punt returners out there.