1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Stepping Down!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Captain Hook, Oct 15, 2020.

1. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

If Chinese state TV is claiming they are responsible for Morey stepping down, and Tilman really made this move based on that, would you guys boycott this franchise? If that were indeed the case, I would be disgusted, but would find it hard to completely step away from a team I have followed closely for 25+ years. I am comfortable wearing my Astros gear in public here in LA/OC, had a door dash driver tell me that is an ugly shirt! , but with the Rockets I would probably stop wearing the gear and quietly track the team if that is indeed the case.

Jontro likes this.
  2. jojolover

jojolover Member

I don't think CCP cares about Morey at this point. If they really want to do something with Morey, it should have happened earlier to show their influences. Do not blame anyone else other than Tilman for the state Rockets are in.

3. lloyde8

lloyde8 Contributing Member

That's probably why Tilman hasn't chosen a coach yet. Even though he's asking the players input about coaches.. hes still contemplating to rebuild

4. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

If they didn't care, they wouldn't have been publicly stating their influence, simultaneously sending a warning out about how if anyone else "says anything to hurt the feelings of the Chinese people that there will be a price to pay", this is in reference to Morey stepping down. This is within the last 48 hours, so they do care.

Jontro likes this.
  5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This one really stung and took a couple of days to process.

I hate it. I hate that we’re losing one of the most brilliant minds in all of basketball. There’s no way his replacement will be as good, at least right away. It’s hard to argue this isn’t a setback.

The optics for the organization suck. As others have noted, we have a head coach and GM that have both voluntarily walked away. Seemingly painting the picture that they would rather quit than work under TF.

The timing is also surprising given DM’s close relationship with JVG. One would think him being a finalist for the job would be an incentive for DM to stay. Who we hire, at this point, your guess is as good as mine.

In any event, best of luck to DM. He’s earned the ability to do (and work for) whomever he pleases. If I were a lost franchise like the Hornets, I would be cracking open the checkbook to hire a magician like DM.

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

And wear a communist China inspired Lakers jersey? No!
    Tilman isn't the Rockets! He is just some broke a$$ punk who bought it with no desire to win or spend to win.
    You wear the Rockets colors because you are still proud of the house that Hakeem built!

BallSoHarden and D-rock like this.
  7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Losing Morey is almost as rough as losing one of your brothers.

D-rock and baller4life315 like this.
  8. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

You're probably right about that one.

HP3 likes this.
  9. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

Pain

topfive likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey was planning to come back until D'Antoni suddenly changed his mind about returning.

Don't believe the personal reasons, planned it in advance BS.

Both guys must really detest Tilman Fertitta.

11. HP3

HP3 Member

Screw Tillman, I hate this guy so much.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone has BIG shoes to fill.

pugsly8422, Easy and HP3 like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just a bunch of Chinese web citizens mad at Morey.

The threats were real though.

Can't really understand how mad people can get at someone.

One tweet does not affect their personal lives.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah but the relationship was strained given how MDA was treated the last 2 years.

1 or 2 years later he would have waved the white flag give or take.

You do not get to treat people like low servants.

Absolutely hate those rich fakes.

15. Hoke Moseley

Hoke Moseley Member

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed, a lot of BS fersure but he didn’t just make a monumental decision on his brainchild of 15 years on the spot. Having to work with an obnoxious owner that won’t let you do your job played a large role and he was already contemplating an exit strategy. In the end the stupid moves fertita/harden made regarding WB reflect on him. As a GM if you can’t do your job and have to involve a stupid 24 year old kid in decisions it’s hard not to want to leave. D’Antoni leaving was probably just more reason to. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. “Family reasons” here is of course complete BS. It’s the political thing to say about your employer to keep doors open in the future and show you have class

D-rock likes this.
  17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Critical of both but gots me in the feels nonetheless. My favorite pair was morey/adelman but more/Dan/Toni/harden/cp/ariza/tuck were the pinnacle of championship aspirations. What could have been

D-rock likes this.
  18. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

You guys don't really understand. The Chinese own the NBA along with all of California (who owes China too much money). These may not come in actual in-person ownership, but come in business investments/balloon loans, contracts, sponsorships. If you have trained an entire country to export production, human capital, business, and everything else to China cause you can get away with a lot of things - you've just given up every right to your business. That's what we're seeing here folks. The Chinese state essentially has turned into an oligarchy - led by 5 families that control everything including banking system. Anyhoo. I just wanted to shed some light on the insanity that's been behind our sports organizations.

Jontro and fckbandwagons like this.
  19. albuster

albuster Member

Well, the Church of Morey is now closed for worship. For 13 years, the Rockets failed to win a championship while everyone and anything not named Morey was blamed for the years of failure. Sadly, every time the Rockets fail from here on will still be blamed for someone because, Morey. The Rockets will now move on and rest assured that all failures will be credited to Morey's departure. The cult of personality was alive and well in Houston long before Trump became president. Sad.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let me get this straight. We should blame Morey for the past 13 years of "failure" but if we blame the new guy for future failure it's wrong?

HP3 likes this.