1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do White Fans Debate MJ And Lebron

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pgabriel, Oct 15, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Funny i actually thought about this and quarterbacks is what came to mind. I also thought about Montana and Brady and Brady and Manning.

I will say this, i think black fans tend to be more attached to black stars but thats a larger topic. So to answer the question there probably really aren't 2 players that white sports fans debate like black fans debate players

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I get what you're trying to say but I wouldn't say "attached". I mean a debate of MJ and LeBron is a debate about the two greatest NBA players in history. If LeBron were white I'm pretty sure the debate would rage on.

As for the level of connection, I think that's just a representation of the times we're living in. 60-70 years ago the conversation could have been about which player is better--Babe Ruth, Joe Dimaggio, Mantle, etc. because baseball was the biggest sport in America played by predominantly white players. Heck, you can go back 30-40 years ago and Larry Bird would have been in debates as one of the greatest players ever.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I've heard this debate mostly from white and non-black people. But, that may be because most of the black people I'm around love MJ.

I don't think it's a race thing it's more of a generational/basketball thing. It may be that you're not around many young white people that like basketball.

Yung-T, pgabriel and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It seems likely to me that LeBron is more popular with black people than white people, and so the MJ vs LeBron debate would skew towards LeBron for blacks relative to whites. But I don't think the skew would be all that much. Age is probably a more significant factor than race.

pgabriel likes this.
  5. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Jordan was great. Lebron wants to measure up to him but he cant overshadow Kobe career. MJ, Kobe, then Bron. Bron needed many others to get there, he's good but cant do it with a ok side kick like pippen probably.

6. Mr. Space City

Have you ever heard of Bruce blitz?

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

What kind of bubble do u live in? Fans of all races discuss it heavily. Tf is “black Facebook?”

OP is obsessed with race

Yung-T, malakas, Duke Fan and 2 others like this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

Thought white fans into Luka. Luka vs. Bird. :D:p

pgabriel likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

White talks matter!

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Most people on Facebook im connected to on Facebook ar black and black people discuss different things. Do you doubt that?

For instance a few years ago there was a Rihanna vs Beyonce conversation that im sure was mostly among black people. I mean actually why would you doubt there are some topics unique to blacks?

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

So you’re in a bubble like I said. Yeah, topics like maintaining an afro are unique to black people, not something like MJ vs Lebron...

This thread is so silly.

“black FB”...lol

Yung-T, malakas and Duke Fan like this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There are many topics unique to black people. Thats not saying anything controversial and you keep dismissing the black Facebook comment, do you doubt most black people on Facebook have mostly black friends? Whats the difference between Facebook and real life in terms in terms of what drives conversation?

And yes i dont have cable so in terms of popular topics if they aren't in the six o'clock news i don't know whats going in. I don't see a Jordan vs Lebron here and i see a lot of posts about it on Facebook

You're really reading too much into the question.

13. Theking

Theking Member

Nah we debate Lambier vs Smits. Real goats

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

u can go on regular Reddit that is overwhelmingly white or regular Twitter and easily see why a thread wondering if white people talk about MJ vs Lebron is so silly

u live in a bubble

Yung-T, malakas and Duke Fan like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why would only black people be discussing the 2 best players in NBA history?

I guess u think they only talk about Larry Bird?

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Ill stick to clutchfans. Its not that big a deal, you're dragging your d&d baggage about me over here and really making a whole lot out of nothing. Relax

17. split41

split41 Member

I don't get this at all. People love to discuss who's the GOAT - MJ is clearly the benchmark, so whoever is great gets compared to them. When Kobe was king it was Kobe vs MJ. Now LeBron is king it's LeBron vs MJ.

Before MJ it was Bird vs Magic, Kareem in there too.

This has nothing to do with race. If Jeremy lin played like lebron people would be asking Lin vs Jordan. Why are people upset, it makes zero sense - fans aren't allowed to debate who is the greatest in the sport?

Duke Fan likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

you’ll stick to your bubble...got it

u are obsessed with race...in the D&D, it normally involves trashing black people, but I guess u just stick talking about silly things like if only black people talk about MJ vs Bron in the Dish

malakas and Duke Fan like this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro nobody is upset about anything. It was a simple question. I don't talk to white people much outside of this site. I didn't see anything about while i see a lot on Facebook so i asked. No big deal

20. split41

split41 Member

I'm not upset either, just saying it makes no sense. It's like saying white people are offended black people are discussing whether federer is the Goat of tennis.

Race is not a factor, accomplishments in the sport are. Race is irrelevant. Sport is a meritocracy for the most part.