1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

7-9 here we come

2. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

For those worried about Bienemy not calling plays Andy Reid went from being the Packers offensive line coach to being the head coach who called plays with the Eagles. Reid turned into one of the best offensive minds in the game so its shouldn't be a deal breaker.

ReturnOfTheMac likes this.
  3. conquistador#11

I don't really buy into that notion that they could never find talent outside the 1st. Sure they missed in the 2-3rd but they would find gems in 5th- undrafted. In the end it's the same thing. Free agents want to play w/ Watson. When they've targeted free agents in the past that they coveted, they were able to land them. Last year with the Clowney situation and Dhop was the first time we heard about players talking to former Texans players and opting not to come here.
    Texans have the qb. The contracts are not ball and chain contracts. They will have to trade Watt though.
    But I'm not one thinking oh no it's going to be 5 seasons before this gets fixed. It's the NFL, bottom feeders can become contenders over night and vice versa. I like your choices for GM and bringing back Olsen. Maybe promoting Olsen.

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

They whiffed on 2 dudes that never played a down for them in the 2nd round. That should never happen.

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

No to Rick Smith. He has already been here. Are we just going to and get all the guys the use to be here?

Let’s go get Dom Capers for DC and Kubiak for OC while we’re at it then smh

When they don’t workout AGAIN, are we going to go back to BOB?

Hank McDowell likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Houston fans love old faces.

"Let's bring back JVG!"
    "Let's bring back Kubiak!"
    "Let's bring back Hinch!"
    "Ahh the glory days of Jeff Van Gundy & Gary Kubiak! How sweet it was! Houstonians at heart! Bring them back home!"

:D

I would take Hinch back over Baker.

#66 J.R., Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Offensive Matt Patricia" LOL Ouch...

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Greg Roman? When I watch the Ravens play nothing about their offense screams out creative.

Marteen and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Right now my vote goes to Bieniemy but the season is still young. What may be more important is hiring the GM before Thanksgiving so we can get our coach by Christmas.

Darkest timeline would be Easterby hiring McDaniels, or any more New England stooges. Please stop trying to shake fruit off the Belichick tree.

Rudyc281 and gucci888 like this.
  10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

McDaniels would still be much better than BoB. He seems to have found instant success with Cam

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Give Dabo Swinney the same power you gave OBrien and see if he bites.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I did not read through this thread, and that is because there is one correct answer - AND ONLY ONE: David Shaw.

You need a college coach who understands 1) how the pro game is evolving; 2) capable of reacting to rapid turnover & building year-to-year around not on a goshdarn system but personnel.

This is the future of the NFL - competent college coaches.

Call #2, after hiring Shaw, is to Tony Elliot offering him all the money to become Watson's OC. +, imagine the Texans with a Black HC and OC - it would earn them a world of goodwill at a time they have a laughably bad reputation.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Solid take. A more innovative coach will also be more capable and willing to plaster over and around the roster holes we're going to have 2-3 years from now.

My #1 priority is turning Watson into the elite QB we all think he can/should be.

boomboom, Hey Now! and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

this would be awesome

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Don't get your hopes up. Leach is too much of a b*stard. We're gonna hire a choir boy.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya need to get the GM in place first and foremost. McDaniels is definitely lower on the list but if him turning Cam around for the season would be a big selling point to Cal I'm sure.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. Hey Now!

I want us to stop hiring coordinators who work for all-time great head coaches. Belichick is the greatest coach of all-time; hiring one of his assistants he probably carried does not get you some magical Belichick residue.

Now that Reid is firmly planted as the second greatest HC of this era, I extend the same skepticism to his assistants. If Bieniemy doesn't come with Reid, I'm not terribly thrilled.

Am I crazy........ Shouldn't the Texans, through Easterby, kick Belichick's tires? Brady is gone; he could trade up from Newton to Watson; he probably has people in the building already he knows and trusts/likes - and he'd probably love the idea of winning one at NE's expense.

It's not crazy.

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I need to know lol WHY?

Why are so many so keen on continuing to go along the Belichick tree? Do you guys know BOB is the most successful guy from the Belichick tree? Front office and/or coach.

Technically, Vrabel isnt from the Belichick tree

Fantasma Negro and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Mcdaniels is the ultimate Belichek wannabe & would be a disaster here. They hated him in Denver before he got canned.

Jturbofuel and Hey Now! like this.
  20. Hey Now!

It should be EVERYONE's #1 priority. I'm not sold on Dabo (he strikes me as more president-like) but I'm willing to listen because making Deshaun happy/great is the only thing that should matter.