1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

(The Athletic) Victor Oladipo wants to move on from Pacers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Sep 28, 2020.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

2. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

3. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

If the Pacers go for a complete tear down or for a tear down but keeping Sabonis, then I sure wouldn’t mind the Rockets trying to take some of their pieces. Guys like McDermott, Turner, Lamb, and Brogdon could all be on the move. I definitely would not mind seeing them all in Rockets red.

Rudyc281 and saleem like this.
  4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Can he grow to be 6'8"?

Jontro and Dacamel like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

He is an interesting player from a value perspective for a number of reasons.

First, I could be mistaken but I believe that he has one year left on his deal so he would have to be traded.

Second, the league LOVES perimeter players that can score and create some...... he does that. He doesn't do that at the level that Harden or Lillard or LeBron do that, but he can score 20+ and you can run an offense through him. On the other hand, he hasn't been playing much or as well recently so his value is more limited. Also how valuable is he to a team that ALREADY has a perimeter player controlling the offense and scoring? A lot of teams already have a player like that. I don't think Olapido wants to go somewhere and be limited.

So what teams would have interest in a player like that, and what would they give up? The first team I can think of is the Bucks. However what would they give up that Indy would want? Rebuilding teams likely have little interest because he is a FA and will just leave. Maybe the Sixers? He would be able to create for sure. Would the Knicks just take a flier? Maybe Minnesota?

I suspect that someone is going to get him for less than what most fans will think is fair.

Jontro and baller4life315 like this.
  6. Juxtaposed Jolt

How does Oladipo compare to Eric Gordon?

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Different types of players.

https://tradenba.com/trades/OiqWsGK-c

Knicks send 8th overall pick to Indy. Knicks maybe add one more big man going to Indy. I don't think Mitch would be included. Rockets send 2 Future seconds.

Pacers run out.

Brogdon/ Ntilkina
    Eric/ DSJ
    TJ Warren
    Kevin Knox / Dougie Buckets
    Sabonis /

baller4life315 likes this.
  8. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

I have no desire to see him play next to Russ here in Houston. That was a bad mix in OKC, I say we learn from there mistakes.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Me either. So trade Russ (and EGO) for him. Lulz.

Jontro and Dacamel like this.
  10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Assuming the Knicks FO is competent, why would they do this?

They lose out on young pieces (as bad as they've been), lose a high pick (albeit in a weak draft) all for a player that doesn't move the needle for them next season and one who probably won't re-sign with the Knicks after a year?

Pacers can get better pieces for Oladipo imo.

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Oladipo is expiring so it depends where he wants to play.

Dipo would vault that team into playoff contention on his own.

RJ Barrett and Mitchell Robinson are there two best pieces and I think they build around those two.

They will have close to max space even with adding Dipo and maybe they send Julius Randle on top of those other guys. Thibs isn't there to rebuild. They don't like playing the draft game. Fizdale got fired because they didn't get a top two pick essentially.

Let's say they free up space (add Randle to the deal) and keep their two best players.

No trade without Vic saying he will extend.

RJ Barrett
    Vic Oladipo
    Mo Harkless (resign)
    Kenny Wooten
    Mitchell Robinson

That's their top 5 left. That's borderline a playoff team in the East, that's how bad the east is. They have space to add another player at a max. Whether that's someone as good as Anthony Davis (unlikely but not impossible) or someone like Gordon Hayward if he opts out. That's a team with a great core and if RJ and Mitch take that next step this year, you have a team that is a top four seed within three years.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

I dunno.

MIL / TOR / BOS / MIA / PHI / BKN / IND will all be locks for the playoffs next season, even if Indiana undergoes such a drastic roster change. The others are mainstays and BKN gets Durant and Irving.

Wizards will be better because they get John Wall back. Hawks will (probably) be better.

Knicks with an Oladipo miiiiiight contend for that final spot, but I just don't see it happening. Oladipo is good, but I don't think he's that good. Plus, his health is still a question mark, I think.

13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I kind of underrate the East at times because they have been so bad. You're right. Knicks need a playoff team and Thibs isn't tanking anywhere. He made the Wolves destroy their future for Jimmy Butler. He didn't come to New York to get fired because they aren't winning games.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Also something to think about if you're Oladipo. You go to New York, and your still-young body is going to be absolutely worn down. Especially since you're now considered the best player on the team.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Milwaukee can just give Indy Bledsoe and a few first rounders for Vic. That would get Giannis his 2nd sidekick to go along with Middleton. #nomoreexcusesfromtheMVP

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

in a few weeks silver will trade kuzma plus other trash for him

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Why? Are the Rockets going big?

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Miami wants to pair him & Giannis.

saleem likes this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Miami, as it stands right now, will have close to two max slots in the summer of 2021 when Giannis and Vic could be free agents.

Adebayo
    Giannis
    Butler
    Herro
    Oladipo

Yikes.

amaru, hakeem94, saleem and 1 other person like this.