1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you moved to a different country, where would it be & why live there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 24, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

A Pacific coastal one?

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yung-T and Xerobull like this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

Well if they washed it... i mean...

5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I think if you went back today the memory of London you had would be erased and you would walk away with a much more negative view of the area.

My father being from the North of England, we have gone back numerous times. Always when we were younger we'd stay with family who lived in the North, then travel down to stay with family who lived just under 2 hours out of London.

London was always a highlight of these trips.

Fast forward to today, and the last couple of trips we've been there since 2017 - we no longer even think about jotting London into the itinerary.

Yung-T and Bobbythegreat like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Yes. I understand that, I have eaten all of them (in England too!) , but that is also absolutely not what I was saying or the point I was making. But cheers!

Ever been to an American Steakhouse? Meat/Veggie/Game/Fowl/Potato, cooked in a not very spicy way, but ****ing delicious. That is basically British food. (Would I want to eat it all the time? Oh hell no) Pub Food is good, fish and chips and such, so all I was saying was that your "McDonalds" horseshit was a bit over the line, and if you think otherwise I might fight you.

#86 Buck Turgidson, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  7. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

I live in Medellin, Colombia, and before that I lived in Mendoza, Argentina. I love Colombia, but not so much Argentina. The weather, women, food, and culture are amazing here. Getting citizenship in Colombia soon, and don't plan on returning to the U.S. Only problem is crime is starting to rise again and a lot of jobs don't pay as much as they could relative to the U.S.

IBTL, Yung-T and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Wait, what? We should maybe talk.

Mendoza, Bariloche, Cordoba, Mar del Plata, Salta...

We never had any problems with crime at all. Honestly never thought about it. Living in BA would be different, I guess?

Also...Medellin is one of the best places I've ever been. I love that country.

9. adoo

adoo Member

according to my discerning palate, bland.

fwiw,

no, i'd much rather have McDonald's fries/nuggets

#89 adoo, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    No Worries and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

OK. Carry on. **** off.

Pick one.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

12. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

The family and I moved to Sigtuna, Sweden (suburb of Stockholm) in August and it has been the best decision ever. Life feels relatively normal and I feel my mental health coming back. My wife and I often talk about how we didn’t realize how dysfunctional things were in the States. We knew it wasn’t great but getting some distance opened our eyes to how bad it is. I keep thinking about how quiet and calm it is here and that sense of calm is healing.

The quality of food and water here is something that has been a surprise. Fresh fruits and vegetables are available everywhere and for all at affordable prices. Water from the tap is very high quality, tastes great, and doesn’t smell like chlorine. Yes, food here may seem more bland but they don’t have to over compensate poor products with spice and “flavor”. Lettuce has flavor. Cucumbers have flavor. Everything tastes very, very good.

It is definitely colder here than Houston and SoCal (where we moved from) but for a northern country, we are surrounded by water and it generally stays fairly temperate. My SIL and her family live up in Kiruna (north of the arctic circle) and it gets super freaking cold there. I am not in any way interested in living up there in that kind of cold.

We just got our shipping container from California yesterday so last night was the first time we slept in our own bed in over two months. I’m posting this sitting on my own couch, drinking coffee in my own cup. We have our own car back too. It is wonderful. Our stuff (our really nice stuff) that’s been in storage in Houston for the last three years is being loaded onto another container next week and will be here before Xmas. We cannot wait.

I’m happy to answer any questions that people may have about Sweden or moving internationally. It has been quite the experience.

IBTL, boomboom, Yung-T and 4 others like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How's the baitin up there?

Me and @Jontro gots to know.

Yung-T, Jontro and Master Baiter like this.
  14. Master Baiter

Masterful

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

BMoney, boomboom, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

@Master Baiter

Do you and your wife speak the language yet? Assuming you aren't a native speaker, hows that process been?

17. Master Baiter

My wife is a Swedish citizen so its her native language. I can generally follow a conversation but I’m dicey on the specifics and details. It is very difficult for me to remember enough to have a conversation that is more complicated than ordering food and the such. It makes it more difficult to learn when everyone here is VERY fluent in English and they are happy to switch when they see that you are struggling. On the other hand, it makes living easier because communicating is not difficult.

Sweden has free Swedish language classes that I plan on taking advantage of starting next month. I have heard that they are pretty good and that I should be much more functional after about three months. The thing with Swedish is that Swedes enunciate very precisely. As a native Texan, we are very lackadaisical with how we pronounce words and that has been difficult for me to overcome. I also am self conscious of it and become frustrated when I try to speak Swedish and people look at me like I’m a moron. I’m going to keep trying though.

IBTL, Yung-T, arkoe and 2 others like this.
  18. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Honduras for me. Either that or DRC.

19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

For those of us not reading between the lines, what changed?

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ireland. Would have to be somewhere that speaks English as the primary language, and I'd rather not Brexit. I've spent some time researching that (something I have never seriously considered before in my life) and I think it would be incredibly difficult for me to pull off, honestly.