1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Goran Dragic could have been ours

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Sep 25, 2020.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Dragic blossomed with us. Anyone who watched that run he had with us in 2012 knew all along he would be a stud. Yet Daryl “the best GM” Morey let him walk away for a completely reasonable 4 year 30 million contract, citing his “player option” would make hin “untradeable”. Ha, guess what? The Suns two years later traded him for two first round picks. I am watching this Heat-Celtics game and I can’t help but think he would have been a much better fit than Westbrook. And we saw it first hand how good he was. We all knew he was going to be a star.

Daryl Morey needs to go! The list of his bad decisions goes on and on:

- Hiring McHale was a huge mistake and we should have fired him after the Portland series.

- Letting Dragic walk away for nothing.

- Trading both PPat and Marcus Morris in the middle of playoff hunt. That was insane. I get we are clearing room for Dwight but he should have traded D-Mo and T-Jones instead.

- And he drafted like 6 power forwards in one draft. That’s bullshit. Not to mention he passed up Kawhi in the draft. I remember reading that draft day thread everyone was baffled by the decision.

- As soon as he signed Dwight he should have traded Asik. He held onto Asik for too long until his trade value eventually dwindled. Plus Asik could have gotten us a veteran who could helped us that year. We had really thin bench that year. We were in dire need of a wing player and he did nothing.

- Eventually he got a 1st round draft pick (which turned into Sam Dekker, another poor draft pick) out of Asik. But I remember in the 2015 trade deadline I was waiting for him to do something with the pick. Point guard position was our glaring weakness that year and the Suns had 3 starting caliber point guards and was having a fire sale. Isaiah Thomas was traded to Boston for peanuts. And he had the damn nerve to trade Canaan to Philly, leaving us only with 37 year old Terry and 38 year old Prigioni. So not only didn’t he fix our hole but he put us in even bigger trouble.

- Oh, and Kostas Papanikolaou, throwing full MLE on that guy, what a waste of money.

- Michael Beasley for Tyler Ennis, I will never forget that trade. Literally the worst trade I have ever seen.

- Wasting a first round pick on Iman Shumpert. Plus Brandon Knight’s expiring contract could have been useful in the offseason.

- Capela and a first for Covington. Covington is okay but not at that price.

- And I am sick and tired of Moreyball!!

2. fattz

fattz Member

And now we know how you feel. Most could add to the list. Letting Gary Clark and Hartinstien (FRP) walk with no return both in an area of need. Clark was used to run off Melo then never seen again. Hartinstien was G league champion and looked like he could have a future here —> CUT

3. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Ashley... every GM in the league makes mistakes..

what was the climate of the team back then?? Signing a Goran Dragon to put us over the top?. Nah, no matter the size of the Dynex

also, remember the cheap owners mandating being under the tax unlike other teams

4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha. This is sad. Those are all such insignificant players that if you think any of them would have made any difference in a playoff run then you are delusional.

As for Dragic, yes he is unreal right now. When he was traded to the Heat, Danny Granger, John Salmons and Norris Cole (all when they were garbage) were the players involved in the trade along with low first rounders. Pretty much every team in the league could have put together a better offer than what the Heat sent and could have had him 5 years ago, 3 years after we didn’t sign him. Is every team’s GM a moron for not trading for Dragic?

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Do we get harden if we keep Dragic and/or lowry?

The world will never know.

calcium, AroundTheWorld and tinman like this.
  6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Morey refused to give Chandler Parsons big money.
    Do you hate that move?

Morey refused to give D-Mo big money.
    Do you hate that move?

Morey refused to re-sign Luc.
    Christ all these players haven’t had a single season of health after Morey chose to pass.

Morey got Harden for Kevin Martin, Steven Adams, Jeremy Lamb and whatever else. That kind of worked out.

Hits and misses. All apart of the game.

Here is a good hypothetical for you. I bet you the Clippers would have been a lot better this playoffs if you replaced Bev Lou and Harrell for Chris Paul. Should he have kept those guys and not gotten CP and probably would have never had the best playoff run for a team that just fell short of a chip?

D-rock, Sajan, BowlingBaller and 8 others like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No

Yes

13 in 33 likes this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thank You Epimetheus

Rocket River

D-rock and topfive like this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Hindsight is 20/20 but Morey's weakness in recent years has been with developing talent from the draft.

Capela was the last one that became something. We also started giving out picks like candy which isn't good either

AXG likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

dam, we should have kept steven adams

Zoplicone likes this.
  11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I bet the OP wishes we never traded V-Span.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hindsight? I was saying that about Dragic then - they let him go because they didn't want to give him a player option....****ING ridiculous.

DD

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I say that about some females I slept with back in the day.

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

You can choose to believe that D-Mo’s fantastic run for a few months that ended quickly with a back injury would have carried over had we just re-signed him, but if he was that good he would have replicated that at any point in the future anywhere else. Good basketball players don’t just work out in one system for a couple months and do absolutely nothing for the rest of their careers.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not signing Goran, and instead inking JLin was ALL Les.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If Dragic signed a 4 year deal back in 2012, he'd still have entered another contract year before now. Quit trying to rewrite nonsense history. He's doing great after spending time in Houston. This will attract other come up players to Houston. None of this is a bad thing. We don't own these human beings, they choose to be here until they're not. Great job of Morey to see the potential in this man! Clearly he was right, but also clearly the contract negotiations happen. It's life. Get used to it. Lots of teams don't want 20 million dollar bench players. Good on Miami for understanding his value and role so well.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Our biggest mistake was not keeping Zoran and Zwight.

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He also wanted to start but Les was ready to suck on more of that China money and get Lin. We were planning to build around Lin until Harden dropped 45 pts his first game and all plans got scratched. After that Portland series I'm sure Les knew he made a mistake just way too late by then.
    I have said this a million times. We need someone in the front office who knows basketball. I have wanted Rudy T as the President of basketball operations for a while. Morey can stay as GM but we need someone who really knows basketball and talent. We have wasted way too many draft picks and sent talent away to just overpay them to come back. I don't like the culture we have set.

19. Caprah

Caprah Member

Dragic has more talent in his pimple then lin has in his entire body but the rockets chose money over talent

Highlyrated likes this.
  20. Caprah

Caprah Member

Pure stupidity and greed

calcium likes this.