1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Senate Watch: Is it in play for Democrats

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Mar 6, 2020.

?

Will Democrats win control of the Senate in 2020?

Poll closed Jun 4, 2020.
  1. Yes, they will control 51+ seats

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. 50-50 tie

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. No, they will fall short

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  4. I abstain, courteously

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Pence looks like he wants in on that action in the picture below.

Nook, Hakeemtheking and deb4rockets like this.
  2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Jones doesn't bend (neither did Manchin in West Virginia).

Nook, Hakeemtheking and Reeko like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I admire it as a very principled move by Jones but I fear this will be the nail in the coffin for him being reelected. Manchin doesn't have to worry anytime soon for reelection.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

What alternate reality? Obama served two full terms. Trump hasn't served one full term yet almost has as many confirmations. In less than half the time of Obama Trump has about the same amount. I don't see what is hard to understand about that. The math is pretty simple.
    And where did I say or even imply that?
    Yes. I cannot give you a definitive answer because we don't know for sure how it played out. We do know for a fact that McConnell did push through many confirmations and the Democrats weren't able to stop or even slow them down because they didn't have the filibuster. Now I agree McConnell himself might've done away with the filibuster and I certainly would damn him for that too. And he did regarding USSC. The fact is Reid was the one who initially invoked doing away with filibusters on appointments.
    The Atlantic article is from 2017.

5. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not gonna go round and round with you when are playing games about 2 terms or 1, they only did away with the Filibuster in oct of 2011 so that's not 2 terms and it should not matter about the length of terms but how many judges actually got seated.

And then you are playing coy about what Mcconell might have done, you know damn well what he would have done.

Nobody is asking you for a definitive answer just hoping you would logically look at everything we know and form a opinion.

I really can't believe your entire argument centers on 2 terms to 1 term when even that argument flops upon further scrutiny, the filibuster was enacted toward the end of the 1st term and the Dems actually vetted there appointments unlike the Republicans who nominated anyone.

Last time I am asking this question should the Dems have just put up with obstruction and gotten no judges appointed?

Do you still feel this way after looking at Mcconell in action?

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think the only chance Jones has to win is to lean more to the left any way.

It's not like anyone on the right is going to vote for him, he won IIRC because of depressed conservative turnout + a higher turnout of Democrats. He's in such a red state that being Republican lite isn't going to work, people will just vote for the real thing, but maybe he can win by offering something new. A long shot, sure, but I think he loses any way if he just goes the Republican lite route.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

A
    I think he should just be himself,instead of trying to pander to anyone.

Don't see him gaining any more votes by leaning left, those folks are already gonna vote for him.

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  9. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Let me explain it using a sports metaphor. You have a pitcher that gives up 3 runs in 3 innings. You have another pitcher give up 3 runs in 9 innings. The pitcher who gave up 3 runs in 3 innings is the one who has the higher ERA because he gave up the same amount of runs but in a shorter period. ERA is a measure of the effectiveness of a pitcher (more precisely the lack of effectiveness) but with stats like and +/- stats time period is always a factor.

In what we are discussing Trump and Obama have about the same amount of confirmations but Trump confirmed them in a shorter period.

Another part of consideration is that Obama appointed more than 400 judges but didn't get many of those confirmed.

No one knows for sure what McConnell would've done but as I said I agree it is likely he still might've invoked the nuclear option himself. Honestly it sounds like you're upset that I'm agreeing with you whole heartedly. I'm mostly agreeing with you but the fact remains we don't know for sure.
    Yes they did get vetted and my argument has been that having the filibuster to slow down the process forces better vetting.
    No. I still think getting rid of the filibuster on appointments was a bad idea. This is speculative opinion so take it as it is. I understood McConnell was obstructing and I understand the frustration that Democrats and Obama felt. I think Obama and Reid could've done more to get around it and working more to defeat more Republicans and build on the majority they had. One of the biggest failings of Obama was that he couldn't build up the rest of the party and while he won reelection Democrats got creamed in lower elections. I think if those steps had been taken things might've turned out differently. Obviously they didn't and the harm has already been done. Both by McConnell abusing the rules and by Democrats handing him a tool to make his majority more powerful.

Finally I'm not nearly as partisan as many other posters here. At the time of the filibuster I wasn't a Democrat so the partisan gain of the Democrats wasn't my primary concern.

dmoneybangbang and RayRay10 like this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All Trump's cult of greedy power mongers knew what kind of despicable man he was. Now they praise him. Money and greed, money and greed. The GOP are a bunch of lying hypocrites.

12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hahahahahaha. This is classic!

ElPigto, leroy, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

OMG! Lincoln Project, FINISH HIM! Brutality!

14. Nook

Nook Member

The nail was already in the coffin and Jones has known all along this would be the outcome. He has a number of other things brewing.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

One of the most crooked men in Washington.

DD

deb4rockets likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That . analogy is whack nobody is asking for an average, who is keeping stats for judges appointments.

This is why I am finished, the whole discussion is based on what you want to compare to sports stats.

I really can't believe you are trying to say no one what Mcconell was gonna do that's bullshit and you know it.

I'm upset that you are trying to use a sports analogy and talking out both sides of you mouth saying nobody knows what Mitch would have done and then saying it was likely.

You don't mostly agree with me because I think having the justices seated was enough reason to do away with the Fillibuster and the raw data bears that out.

I noticed you gloss over the fact that these judges where both seated in essentially 1 term.

Anyway I said what I needed to say.

Good day sir!

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

She's really going all-in on this Attila the Hun thing:

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Pretty sure most Republicans in Congress are pro birth, not pro life.

Nook, No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  19. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

AWWWWW.

You just hate to see it?

It's gonna be hilarious if Lindsey gets voted out after humiliating himself while groveling for Trump.

I bet his book is gonna have all the good dirt on Trump if this happens.

RayRay10 likes this.