1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you moved to a different country, where would it be & why live there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

North European Winters are brutal.

Something to consider if you've lived in Texas sunshine all your life.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah man that’s one of those things that puts a damper on some of the otherwise highly regarded countries. I was born in Minnesota but we moved here when I was a baby. When I go to visit it’s sometimes in the early spring or late fall and even then it’s f-no cold. It’s enjoyable for a day then I’m read for the heat. Same goes for my wife who is from northern Indiana. She moved here to get away from the winter.

All of that said, we’re older now and if we end up leaving the country and the pros outweigh the cons those countries are definitely on the table.

3. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I'd love to live in northwest Spain (San Sebastian). Mild weather, easy access to the variety of Europe, and great food. We spent 6 weeks there last summer and I'm trying to convince the wife to move there for a year.

I spent a little time in Stockholm and loved it but don't think I could handle the winters. I like London as well, but I'm thinking that is tourist view and I'd probably be tired of it if I lived there (too big, etc).

Japan would be great too if I spoke Japanese/was Japanese.

IBTL likes this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You should really get in contact with The Vapors.

Buck Turgidson and Xerobull like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

@Dream Sequence I was a little surprised more people didn’t say London or England but I guess that country has had its fair share of turmoil lately. I traveled there in 99 and absolutely loved it. I would just walk around London during the day and listen to people talk, then watch local broadcast tv in my hotel. It was all fascinating and the accents on the women were dead sexy too. The nightlife there just blew Houston away. Granted, this was before downtown Houston was really revitalized as a night spot, but London really had world class clubs. The pubs were cool too and I enjoyed just people watching. The English attitude towards alcohol is so much more casual than in America, where, by contrast, it’s used more as a drug.

I liked it so much that I got to the point of looking for jobs there but at that point in my career I couldn’t swing anything that paid decently, cost of living as pretty high and the comparative pay was lower. I ate at a McDonalds in London out of curiosity and a value meal was around $12 dollars us. Other than the price it was pretty unremarkable, except the girl who served me was named Chun Li.

Anyway, it’s sort of on my ‘list’ for ease of cultural integration, but those Futbol hooligans and the chavs will **** you up.

6. adoo

adoo Member

my experience w London has been

best food is Asian Indian food,
    2nd best is Chinese food,
    3rd best is Japanese food,
    4th best is McDonald's​

7. Buck Turgidson

ehhh...that's a little harsh. If you don't like meat and potatoes and veggies I can see it though.

Also, outside of London, I really, really liked York. It's been a while though.

Nook likes this.
  8. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

i really think so

donkeypunch likes this.
  9. adoo

adoo Member

lots of meat/potatoes in Indian dishes; lots of meat/veggies in Chinese/Japanese dishes

10. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I want to say a place like Prague, Czech Republic but after thinking about it some more it would have to be a place I could fit in a bit better.

Perhaps some place that has a large multicultural population like Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Perhaps some place in Spain like Barcelona. Anyone ever been to Tenerife? Looks interesting.

11. Invisible Fan

Northern Euro food imo has mostly been a little harsh. Their aversion to spices/spicy food doesn't help it one bit.

Southern climates know where it's at.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

I’ve been everywhere.

If I am moving, I am moving to Western Europe or some place like New Zealand or Australia.

South America is out, too dangerous and too unstable. I hate to say that as I love the culture and women.

I have been to China, I’ll take a bullet to the skull before living in that oppressive and filthy place. Same with Russia and India.

Japan isn’t as great as people think (but isn’t terrible). Hong Kong and Taiwan are out because they are going to end up being controlled by the CCP.

Finland, Sweden and Denmark are high on my list. They are the best ran countries I have been to. The government is helpful and the people are in general content. The food sucks and people don’t realize how oppressive the winters are. Also crime is covered up a lot in those areas.

Germany is a great choice, and is likely my top choice for non English speakers.

My second choice is England. London is nice and I would have no issues culturally (although they have ugly women).

My top choice would be Ireland. I lived there and it is a very easy place to live and the people are exceptional. It isn’t hard to make money and be socially mobile (which is very hard in many other Western European places).

While I enjoy Spain, it has a lot of problems. The government is bad and the economy is poor. I liked Greece but have the same concerns.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Northern Europe food is of very high quality, but yes the food is plain. I had a lot of success in London and Ireland getting the food I wanted by paying attention.. also in Ireland there is a fascination with American and spicy foods, so you can get it... they also LOVE the American South.

Buck Turgidson and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm looking at this from a slightly different angle than most of you. While the information below would certainly be communicated differently if we got serious about the idea after early November, it is certainly true. Would anything similar to what I have in quotes below work at all?

"We are two retired English speaking people with a very good income and well able to support ourselves. The two of us have no need or desire for employment, but would be more than happy to do volunteer work beneficial to your fine society with skills that might prove useful. We have excellent health insurance at home and can certainly afford whatever might be required in your country."

New Zealand would be cool and we speak the language, but it would be an incredibly far journey to visit our adult kids, our relatives, and our friends, and for them to visit us. Portugal is an intriguing option (I've been there), but while I speak a little Spanish, Portuguese is a mystery to both of us. Ireland beckons, another possibility.

However, we both love the Netherlands and my significant other has numerous relatives there. Loads of cousins. A major plus is that almost everyone speaks English, many quite well (some better than I do, ha ha). We've been to the country (and not just Amsterdam) several times over the years, and when there for a few weeks, we begin to pick up some of the lingo. My guess, unfortunately, is that we're out of luck. Welcomed as tourists, but not more than that if one of us isn't working for a company.

All assuming this pandemic ever ends.

Xerobull likes this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hmmm... in no particular order

Australia
    New Zealand
    Canada (except I hate cold/ice...)
    Some tropical island in the Pacific (this would probalby be my #1 choice except nowhere to go when that hurricane/typhoon comes in and healthcare probably sucks)
    Some Mediterranean country (the food and the beauty) like Greece or Spain (beautiful scenery and awesome food and history)
    Southern India (beautiful scenery and nice people for the most part)

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

18. Invisible Fan

19. Asian Sensation

Kauai. Might as well be it’s own tiny country.