1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Hurricane Season

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, May 18, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The concrete jungle flooding problem still a problem?

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

Is it over? Pretty sunny over here

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Resized_Screenshot_20200922-123043_Chrome.jpeg

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was watching KPRC this morning and one of the reporters in Galveston actually said "okay, now this area of Galveston is called 'The Strand'...."

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I'd never heard of that area before.

marks0223 likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Tropical Depression Beta Advisory 22
    Valid: 03:00 PM CDT Tuesday September 22, 2020

[​IMG]

Current Location: 29.0N, 96.5W
    Geographic Reference: 105 miles WSW of Houston
    Movement: East-northeast at 4 mph
    Max Winds: 35 mph gusting to 45 mph
    Current Hurricane Severity Index: 1 out of a possible 50 points (0 size, 1 intensity)
    Max Predicted Hurricane Severity Index: 1 out of a possible 50 points (0 size, 1 intensity)
    Current Radius of Tropical Storm-Force Winds: 0 miles
    Max Predicted Radius of Tropical Storm-Force Winds: 0 miles
    Organizational Trend: Decreasing over land
    Forecast Confidence: Average
    Estimated Central Pressure: 1005 mb

Key Points
    1. Flooding rains are expected to continue for SE Texas and SW Louisiana into tomorrow.
    2. Once the center moves to the east of your location, the threat of flooding should end.

Our Forecast
    Rainfall has decreased in intensity this afternoon over the Houston metro area and across SE Texas. However, model guidance indicates that another band of heavy rainfall is likely to form later this afternoon into this evening over Houston and then spread eastward across SE Texas and into SW Louisiana. Areas in Houston could see another 4 to 6 inches of additional rainfall with isolated areas potentially seeing more than 8 inches. East of Houston through southeast Louisiana, expect 6 to 8 inches of additional rainfall with isolated higher totals. The threat of flooding rainfall is not expected to end until the center moves to the east of your location. This will occur tomorrow morning in Houston, but perhaps not until tomorrow afternoon or evening for SW Louisiana. Locally heavy rains are likely to continue over southeast Louisiana as well over the next couple of days.

As Beta moves slowly to the east-northeast to to the northeast, the winds should gradually wind down. Beta is expected to become a remnant low by this time tomorrow. However, the remnant low should bring locally heavy rainfall to Mississippi on Thursday and perhaps into Alabama on Friday.

Expected Impacts Offshore
    Northwest Gulf:
    Occasional heavy squalls could result in localized gales.

Expected Impacts Onshore
    Coastal Texas and Louisiana: Significant travel delays are likely, especially over SE Texas and SW Louisiana due to widespread street flooding. Some inundation of structures near waterways will likely occur.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Is this thing basically doing a Harvey and loading up from the Gulf of Mexico while it inches along and keeps dumping water on the Houston area? I swear it looks like it's barely moved sometimes. Crap.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. marks0223

Supporting Member

Starting to move now. Tonight's storms should be a little farther north than last night's

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

SHould have come to AUstin.

DD

10. marks0223

Supporting Member

11. SuraGotMadHops

I like this guy...but I hate this guy.

12. Xerobull

Atlantic Daily Briefing
    Issued: 04:50 AM CDT Wednesday September 23, 2020

[​IMG]

Teddy

Teddy is a large, strong, non-tropical low that is moving into Atlantic Canada. It will bring high winds, moderate to heavy rain, and coastal flooding to the Canadian Maritimes today. Please see our latest advisory on your StormGeo web portal.

Beta
    The remnants of Beta will bring locally heavy rainfall to portions of the Deep South today and tomorrow. Localized flash flooding is the primary concern. Please see our latest advisory on your StormGeo web portal.

Other Disturbances / Areas to Watch
    Disturbance 48 has been consumed by dry air. Paulette is now a remnant non-tropical system. The area of interest we were watching in the southeast Gulf now looks less conducive for development. All of these features have been removed from our analysis.

Remnants of Beta Advisory 24
    Valid: 03:00 AM CDT Wednesday September 23, 2020

[​IMG]

Current Location: 29.4N, 95.3W
    Geographic Reference: 30 miles South of Houston
    Movement: East-northeast at 6 mph
    Max Winds: 30 mph gusting to 40 mph
    Current Hurricane Severity Index: 0 out of a possible 50 points (0 size, 0 intensity)
    Max Predicted Hurricane Severity Index: 0 out of a possible 50 points (0 size, 0 intensity)
    Current Radius of Tropical Storm-Force Winds: 0 miles
    Max Predicted Radius of Tropical Storm-Force Winds: 0 miles
    Organizational Trend: Decreasing over land
    Forecast Confidence: Average
    Estimated Central Pressure: 1009 mb

Key Points
    1.Despite weakening, Beta continues to produce locally heavy rainfall.
    2. Once the center moves to the east of your location, the threat of flooding should end.
    3. Beta is now moving to the east-northeast

Our Forecast
    Beta has weakened to a remnant low. It will continue to produce generally light to moderate, with locally heavy, rainfall over portions of southeastern and upper coastal Texas this morning. As it moves towards and over Louisiana, tropical air from the Gulf will push northward resulting in a good chance of rain and thunderstorms for much of Louisiana today. Rainfall will generally be light to moderate. However, locally heavy rainfall rates resulting in flash flooding remain likely. By later today into Thursday, the rain pushes into Mississippi while ending from west to east across Louisiana.

Expected Impacts Offshore
    Northwest Gulf:
    Occasional heavy showers and thunderstorms could result in localized gales near the Upper Texas Coast and Louisiana.

Expected Impacts Onshore
    Coastal Texas and Louisiana: Localized flooding may result in travel delays. Flash flooding as well as flooding streams may occur where locally heavy showers and thunderstorms occur.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's been so strange to have a storm hit Houston and have Kingwood completely unaffected.

14. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I always find it so bizarre to see all the cars abandoned in the middle of a flooded street. Did you see the flooding and think, "well I have a big truck so I'm just going to drive right into it"?

I get floodwaters can rise fast, and I've nearly been caught in some in the downtown area, but I still find it a bit weird.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. marks0223

Supporting Member

16. Xerobull

Im still expecting cat 5 Hurricane Omega to hit on election day.

marks0223 and B-Bob like this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Westheimer Parkway had 3 cars abandoned when I drove it today. All three were off the road in the water. Bizarre

18. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Some people just never learn.. Houston floods damn near every year at this rate, and idiots still drive through the water. So much stupid around today.

19. Buck Turgidson

Westheimer is a Parkway now?

20. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Some people do it on purpose. They get out of car payments.

Sajan, davidio840 and STR8Thugg like this.