1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

The 2020 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Jul 19, 2020.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yup. Seattle has more to play for right now. That can be huge.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

bong rips

RayRay10 and TWS1986 like this.
  3. awc713

awc713 Member

I really like Jake Lamb. Good ballplayer, wish we could've signed him. Reminds me a little bit of former Astros great Mike Lamb.

HTown2017Champs and RayRay10 like this.
  4. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Dodgers players/Roberts are soft as hell. Hail Kelly as Hollywood god but can’t take a little chirping from rival player. I’m rooting for SD and Mookie to blow out his knees soon. Bellinger is a crybaby.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The cheating scandal almost made them feel even more entitled... lest they forget the ass-whippings they got in 2018 and 2019 that also prevented WS parades.

I’ve always felt a great deal of respect for teams like the 90’s Buffalo Bills and the 90’s Braves. In many ways, its much harder for teams to do what they did, despite the lack of multiple titles.

I won’t feel much of the same respect for these Dodgers teams. They’re truly a disappointment that they haven’t figured out how to win it all. And this year’s title wont’ mean as much if they win it... but they’ll still get all the criticism if they don’t win it.

6. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I really hope they lose again in the playoffs this year. Aside from the Astros winning THE WORLD SERIES, nothing would make me happier. Bunch of ****ing Charmin soft b****es.

AznH-TownFan, phasors28 and RayRay10 like this.
  7. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Dodgers are the perpetually-angry, thin-skinned, hypocritical Karen’s of MLB who honestly believe the world revolves around them, anything that goes wrong is someone else’s fault, and they just need to scream louder at the manager to get it fixed.

Meanwhile the Yankees are the trust-fund babies begging for tax credits while complaining about lazy, uppity poor people.

RayRay10 and AznH-TownFan like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Have you ever hung out with Tommy LaSorda?

cmlmel77 and RayRay10 like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's not thin....but that isn't skin that made him thick.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

#450 sealclubber1016, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    HTown2017Champs likes this.
  11. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

162 games is too many for a playoff field this big and for all the playoff teams to be subject to a 3 game series.

I'd be ok with an NFL style format with 6 teams, top 2 seeds getting byes and the other 4 teams playing a 3 game series, higher seed hosts all 3 games. This would give teams more incentive to play out the schedule.

HTown2017Champs and RayRay10 like this.
  12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's an interesting stat on baseball.

Over at the Wall Street Journal, they took a stop-watch to three MLB games of varying overall length and found that the average three-hour game includes less than 18 minutes of actual baseball action.

Here's more from the Journal's Steve Moyer:

The almost 18-minute average included balls in play, runner advancement attempts on stolen bases, wild pitches, pitches (balls, strikes, fouls and balls hit into play), trotting batters (on home runs, walks and hit-by-pitches), pickoff throws and even one fake-pickoff throw. This may be generous. If we'd cut the action definition down to just the time when everyone on the field is running around looking for something to do (balls in play and runner advancement attempts), we'd be down to 5:47. ...

By far the most time-consuming period of inaction is the "time between pitches." This took up an average of 1:14:49. That's not all that far from half the WSJ analysis's average game time of 2:58.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/theres-about-18-minutes-of-action-in-your-average-mlb-game/

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pretty sure this is well established.

football has similar numbers as well... although in the past was less than 15 minutes of actual post-snap action.

thus the nature of these types of sports.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

American Football was 11 minutes according to the report I read. That's about 6 minutes or so of physical exertion by the players on offense/defense in an entire game...LOL.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep. And given this past weekend's events, that's about 1 ACL tear per minute...

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That's my biggest concern having 160 million invested in a guy who has already torn 2 ACLs.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Part of the game... and there's enough data to show the graft does hold up a little more durably after the repair.

Limits the possibility of it happening again in a non-contact event. Obviously no joint/knee can withstand a direct blow from a lineman aiming low.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

True, but the last tear wasn't even by contact. Now that nasty dirty hit Cushing took I will never forget!! That was dirty as hell.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Correct. I'm talking about re-tearing it after a repair. Hopefully no longer any non-contact tears.

The 49ers are threatening not to play again on the turf next week in met life due to their game yesterday. Of course not sure who decided to schedule them back to back weeks in NY but that's another story.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

In terms of the AL playoff location , i think MLB is making a mistake . The fires are not under control and playing in Cali right now is stupid. They still have time to look at other locations , they should have thought to move it a week ago.

How many games have already been cancelled for air quality / fire impact ? Why do they think the playoff games will magically not be susceptible ?

Should move both AL and NL to houston :) ... but for real there have got to be some other locations they can move it to

RayRay10 likes this.