1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giannis Antetokounmpo wins back to back MVP award

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Sep 18, 2020.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Giannis is a great player and fits the MVP criteria. I’m more annoyed by the assholes that keep ******** on Harden and giving a pass to everyone else.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Narrative based you say? I remember someone saying that last year!

I think once the media, they create a narrative about somebody from the beginning of the year, I think they just take that narrative and run with it the entire year.

I don’t want to get into details. But all I can do is control what I can do, and I went out there and did what I was supposed to do at a high level. You know what I’m saying?

JumpMan and BigShasta like this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm not arguing as to why Giannis deserved it over Harden. I'm just saying, he fits the criteria for everything an MVP should be, according to what the voters typically go for.

Knocks on Harden probably included the fact that he played with Westbrook and that he doesn't play defense or whatever. Knocks on LeBron would probably be that he played with Anthony Davis, a player always in consideration for "top 5 players in the game today."

Giannis probably got bolstered a bit by only having Middleton and Lopez.

Also, I very much doubt all or even a majority of MVP voters look so deeply at advanced stats.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ng-with-awards-voters-usually-he-has-a-point/

[...]

But the overarching message of LeBron's complaints is far more salient. How meaningful can an award titled "Most Valuable Player" be if it consistently ignores the player we intrinsically know to be the most valuable in pursuit of the only goal any team actually values? Why bother giving out a trophy for seemingly different things every season?

Broadly, LeBron is asking to be better recognized than the current awards structure allows. This is a problem that has existed well before his career. Michael Jordan only won five MVP awards. Does anyone honestly believe that Jordan played eight seasons in a Bulls uniform in which he was not the most valuable player in the league? The Bulls certainly couldn't have gotten more value by swapping him for someone else. The same can be said for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, whom you could argue has a reasonable case as the MVP for every season in the 1970s and several in the 1980s. The NBA consistently does a disservice to its best players in its inability to accurately capture and appreciate their greatness. If LeBron is the best player every year, why does he only have four trophies to show for it?

There are easy fixes here. The NBA could expand the awards to include both the regular and postseason. It could offer a more concrete definition of value for voters to follow, or create a separate "best player" award to acknowledge when circumstantial factors prevent a certain player from winning the MVP. Almost anything would be better than the current arrangement.

These awards exist to serve as historical snapshots of a season. Players care about them because they want to be recognized for their achievements. But if the wrong players are recognized for the wrong reasons, do these awards even have historical value? Probably not. With the benefit of hindsight, we can say that something is wrong an award that is meant to serve as a sport's highest individual honor so rarely actually honors its best individual. Maybe LeBron shouldn't win the MVP award every year as it's currently structured, but that says quite a bit more about the faulty structure of the award than the person who isn't winning enough of them.

Richie_Rich, Yung-T and Caesar like this.
  5. Caesar

Caesar Member

LeBron the only candidate with another 1st team all nba teammate, who happened to lead in all stats on the same team except assists . Narrative? He's been living off the narrative that he's the best player in the world still. He's not. He hasn't been for a while. Not even Harden complains like this and he's the one that got screwed by the narrative more than anyone else. Shaq's ego may be right on one of those MVP's Nash took, but not both. MJ never even won a unanimous MVP and was robbed in 97 by voter fatigue. Karl Malone won. 69 wins and still the GOAT after a 72 win season with the ring and no MVP? Think about that. 1 game away from b2b 70 win seasons and widely regarded best player ever doesn't even win MVP. He was the best player in the world from the 1st MVP on- not counting 94 and 95 seasons- DR34M.

Narrative..pfft. Swap LeBron and Harden and it's AD and Harden Lakers in the WCF right now and LeBron and Russ Rockets would be at home. "The Recruiter" somehow continues to get HOF talent to join him even though the narrative will be that Lebron won without help and the HOF talented teammates get knocked down a tier or 2 to boost LeBron up. His stats aren't getting more impressive. Give him credit for amazing career consistency, but the stats are a reflection of the league today. Everyone stats have been on steroids.

JumpMan and boomboom like this.
  6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I thought both of Nash's MVP were deserved. Which of Nash's MVP's do you disagree with? And who do you think should've gotten it?

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

Tell me this fool didn't put Lillard over harden.......you know the same lillard whose team barely got into the playoffs...

I get giving it to Giannis or Lebron but if you don't put Harden at least the 3rd.....you are a damn fool and I am no harden homer.

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It looks awkward now that we know what happened to him in the playoffs, but it was deserved for him this season. Remember, MVP does not equal best player.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Look at this assclown posting a video of him with MJ and Dream as if his DPOY/MVP awards puts him in the same stratosphere as those two. At least he was smart enough to turn off the comments section.

Jontro and Tristan_fiore like this.
  10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

25 yr old Giannis
    25 yr old jokic
    21 yr old Luka

Then we got zion's potential and popularity... Nba is looking well prepared to deal with the post LeBron era.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Lol dude just compared himself to Hakeem

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Player and HC voting should be at least half the vote. But the mediadel makes the league what it is for casuals....