1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The all inclusive potential coach guide (2020-2021)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Sep 14, 2020.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

This is good to know but I would definitely prefer about 20 people over Lue but I could see a silver lining at least. Mark Jackson I see nothing positive about and sincerely hope SAS doesn’t get him this job.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Chauncey as coach? Or Gm?

I don’t see Handy leaving LA with lebron and AD there.

Longabardi I could see tho.

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

SAS word don't mean **** honestly. Nobody is getting a job first in Houston (Sports Wise) solely due to white privilege. I'm sure the Rockets are selecting who they truly feel is the best fit coaching wise for this team.

saleem likes this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He seems to be quite friendly with Tilman. It’s very strange.

D-rock, Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I already knew a good amount about the top assistants in the league, the former coaches and even the head coaches in the G - League.

Having said that, I had a list of pecking order of who I wanted to be the Rockets next head coach. It had people like Kenny Atkinson and Stephen Silas and others on it.

Having said that, I have asked people that know these candidates about their strengths and weaknesses. I have listened to interviews and podcasts and done research.

There is one name that keeps coming out on top. One person has almost no warts and checks all the boxes - and that person is Becky Hammon.

If it were my call I would name Becky Hammon the Rockets next head coach and it really isn’t super close.

Hammon is young (43), has won championships, has been an assistant in San Antonio for years. She is responsible for game preparation (which Pop said she is the best he has had at preparation), she helps make adjustments on both sides of the ball, she is a very strong character person that wants to build an organization. She has former players vouching for her and she is extremely smart and charismatic.

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

That's kind of wild and if we did that, I'd love it. It would mean she was the best person for the job. Tilman would love it because he could pay her $.81 on the dollar and it would just be status quo (that's the dumbest stat i've ever heard, most women are way better than their male equivalents, and I hope she costs more than any coach in the NBA).

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

True. SAS is a big fan of Tillman's personality as a owner.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Fantasma Negro

Ty Lue with Kenny Atkinson as lead assistant

9. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I am surprised she hasn’t been linked or rumoured at all, like why is Chauncey Billups being talked about with shorter odds to get it?

Deuce and Nook like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm still waiting on the "logical" guys that are wanting Ty Lue to tell me if they expect him to come down from his $6 million a year demand that he had when the Lakers offered him its coaching job a couple of years ago. Because if the answer is "no" then there's no point in hoping he'll be the Rockets coach as Tilman ain't going to pay the going rate for an NBA coach.

raining threes likes this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think he’s willing to splurge here. It’s a cost controlled hire. He knows what he’s paying and he knows how many years. It’s not the luxury tax. He’ll pay going rate to get the guy he wants (less for who Morey wants). It also is an example of him willing to spend and he knows he’s seen as cheap with this team. Tilman wants to make us like him. He just doesn’t quite know how yet. I hope we hire a cheaper option because the big name retreads usually don’t work if the break up is as bad as Ty Lue or Mark Jackson.

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

We'll see. Tilman and "paying going rate" don't really go together.

D-rock likes this.
  13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

i hope we see him pay 3 million a year for a great young assistant coach or 4 million to Kenny. Lue isn’t worth 6 million and he’s not going to be viewed as a good coach when it’s all said and done. Spoelstra has LeBron but when he left , he stood in there and coached up a storm regardless of who was on the court. Lue gave up.

no more quitters. MDA is a notorious quitter. Quit Phoenix because Shaq. Quit New York because Melo. Quit us because Tilman. LA? Probably just wasn’t the right coach. MDA is a great coach who is known to throw in the towel when the going gets rough. Ty Lue literally gave up and set back Cleveland years. He had Kevin Love on his roster in the East and couldn’t even be bothered to try to get his young guys ready to play next to him.

You may say Kenny quit in Brooklyn in a similar fashion. I just don’t think he wanted to be told who to play and when. He wanted the freedom to coach. KD Kyrie and DJ wanted the freedom to do what they want and whenever they wanted. It just wasn’t happening so they brought in the cool older brother to babysit while they stay up late and gossip.

#193 treyk3, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

Harden's likability took a hit last few years (unfair really but...).

An unintended side benefit of getting a Hammon or a JVG, is scoring some likability points with general NBA fans and media. Hammon the underdog/progressive vote. JVG, generally liked across the game because of his national TV exposure.

As much as we dislike Doris Burke, she seemed internally conflicted; when Russ was on the court. Liking Russ but not liking Rockets. She likes Russ almost as she much as she likes Dort. :p

15. Nook

Nook Member

Chauncey Billups has been in the running for a job for the last 3 years and from what I have read (not been told) he is someone that a number of front office's believe has the right intelligence and leadership qualities to be a good head coach. There were rumors that Billups would go be an associate head coach where ever Ty Lue went and then get his own job next year. Unless something has changed, Billups will not take the job for low pay though, he already turned down one such job.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. TimDuncanDonaut

As soon as Lebron left the Cavs (2018-2019). After a bumpy 0-6 start the following season, Cavs got rid of Lue. Lue was a Lebron hire. Short leash, but they wanted to see how much maybe he could have done with a Kevin Love led team. I guess a new system couldn't be put in place.

“This was a very difficult decision,” Cavaliers General Manager Koby Altman said in a statement. He continued: “We have respect and great admiration for Ty, not only as a coach, but a person. We thank him for the many ways he has contributed to our success, wish him the best and he will always be remembered for leading a very special Cavs team back against the odds to win the title in 2016.
    “This is a different team equation, though, and one that we felt needed a different voice and approach that required this change.”"

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. raining threes

I dont want Lue,

Particularly at 6 million

He's an avg coach at best.

Patience likes this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

his teams were always lazy. There were always chemistry issues. He had LeBron and that’s all you need to succeed in the playoffs.

Every regular season was like a preseason for that team and the East just wasn’t good during his run so they could coast. Seeding meant nothing when you have a guy who can turn it on immediately. LeBron just showed that the postseason is different for him. The Rockets saw first hand that Morey shouldn’t troll him online after one game.

Lue was the coach so I give him credit for being there. JB Bickerstaff was able to slide in and replicate what McHale did (clap clap clap). Lue did the same and replicated Blatt with a new voice. He took the job of the best team in the East in the middle of the season. That was the one year he won. Beating the Warriors was special. Doing it being down 3-1 was legendary. Draymond being hurt helped.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  19. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I'm down with Hammon. If Pop vouches for her, she's got to be good...Pop's got a good track record with his assistants doing well other places.

Hell, Tilman may do it just to make news and possibly drive up interest in the team without realizing he's making a smart decision. Has happened before...see Kelvin Sampson (banished from college, Rcokets asst coach...pulled during season), Kevin Sumlin (first black Div 1 Head Coach in Texas), and Tom Herman at UH (brash young, soon-to-be national championship asst who was big into marketing). All of those turned out pretty well.

mikol13 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh.

I was never a big Ty Lue person. I found the offense the Cavs ran with him during the regular season was all over the place. The team chemistry was fine but those teams clearly were not driven to win 60 games. I will say this though, in the playoffs, especially in the Finals against the Warriors, Lue made exceptional adjustments and Lue out coached Kerr and his staff.

So while Lue would not be my first choice, he does have some abilities, particularly in the playoffs.

D-rock likes this.