1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bra Bra Sources: John Lucas to be interviewed by Daryl Morey for HC vacancy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Sep 16, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

No he wasn't but if you're into sauces I guess that's your thing. There's a reason why clickbait continues to work in 2020

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree with this but posters seem to be looking at a coach as a dictorial figure and whatever he says go.

No coach has that kind of power anymore except Pop and even he had a star player quite on him.

I don't think that Dantoni's problem was being able to tell players what to do or a lack of respect, all of his players seemed to buy in and give effort.

francis 4 prez, D-rock and fattz like this.
  3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Whether or not he's a fraud, a real insider, a wizard or a hacker, there is no debating he was right on almost everything and you arguing against it and saying i'm susceptible to manipulation tactics, is exactly what this place needs less of. As a caveat, I think most rumors are made up and here I share an anecdote about a random twitter account being right A LOT and EARLY, and you respond by calling me a sucker. Maybe take a breather and don't just respond to everyone by putting them down? It brings nothing to the discussion and the users behind these posts are people. You're arguing just to argue and you're negging just to neg.

#83 treyk3, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    BallaDoc likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

First of all, who the F is Bra Bra? Just some random twitter doofus? FOH with that nonsense.

Second, no on Lucus. He is fine doing his player mentoring on the side. Don't want him as HC.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I am agreeing with you. Other than Tom Thibs, I am not so sure there are any real dictator coaches in the league. The reality is that coaches have to walk the thin line between having a back bone and not alienating their players.

The players believed in D'Antoni's system and philosophy and they all liked him very much. The problem is that after awhile I don't think they really believed they were going to win....... coming so close so often and coming up short does that, plus he has been there for 4 years already. Things got stale and his weaknesses became more of an issue..... I will defend MDA as a coach, he is a Hall of Famer and one of the greatest offensive minds in basketball history.... he is good enough to have won a title in Phoenix and one in Houston...... it just did not happen.

Having said that, the Rockets next coach needs to be more structured in some ways, and needs to be more detail oriented because those are the areas where the Rockets struggled under MDA and as a result are areas where the Rockets would likely find the quickest and easiest improvement.

6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

That was my thought. Was wondering when the last time he coached was.
    BUT, maybe a little old school ass kicking is just exactly what this team needs? Plus, certainly a players coach as well. A not so common combination.
    Maybe it work out. Do we want a 'maybe it would work out'?

ElPigto likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

He is someone that broke literally 75% of the major trades at the deadline, and they were not the type that could be guesses because he had the number of draft picks, etc lined up and they were players no one thought would be moved......... having said that, outside of that 1-2 day period he has been very wrong...... there are rumors that he is a hacker or something, and that is how he knew all the trade information ahead of time before they shut off his source.

Honestly, saying the Rockets "will interview John Lucas" can very well be an educated guess.... like saying "The Rockets will interview Kenny Smith or Mario Elie" .......... no one knows for sure, but the Rockets would likely extend the courtesy.

D-rock, joshuaao, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is such an underrated statement. Thank you for posting that.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Thank you, I'm sitting here defending him and no one remembers him but me. I can't tell if this new account is the same guy or just a new guy pretending to be him.

D-rock, Rudyc281 and BallaDoc like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

In total agreement.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Whatever sauces he has that claims teams have actual interest in Westbrook can be immediately be invalidated.

But he might have multiple sauces.

So I guess some of the sauce might be good. Just not the Westbrook sauce.

12. Nook

Nook Member

No, the Rockets had a figure head coach in Kevin McHale and it did not workout. The league has changed. There was a time when being a strong or respected leader was enough to be a really good head coach in the NBA but that is no longer the case. A coach now has to be able to be a tactician AND also be able to have a back bone.

Look at the successful coaches around the league, they are talented in a number of areas.... they are able to talk to their players, lead by example, motivate their players to work hard, make in game adjustments, balance playing rotations, deal with ownership and front office issues and also be social leaders on political issues....... it is a really full job now. Some guys are lucky to be in a strong basketball cultural spot like Miami and they don't need to establish that respect from the ground up....... but most guys have to hit the ground running.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

he wasn't right about anything lol. you decided to reply to me when I'm still laughing at whoever eats that account up as anything credible. I didn't quote you.

14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nook already covered most of what I would say in response to this, but yeah, I don't want a dictator, it has to be a two way street. My problem so far is that Harden has been above reproach within the organization. McHale obviously had no control over him and let him do whatever he wanted, and then once McHale tried to actually coach him, he got fired immediately. Chris Paul was shipped out per Harden's request because he criticized Harden. D'antoni, as Nook said, is very conflict averse. That's probably why all the players liked him so much, he was afraid to challenge players.

So it doesn't have to be a dictator that's going to go full Thibs on his team and have everyone hate him. I just want someone that's tough enough, and respected enough, that he can chew out players who screw up and the players listen, don't resent him, and even appreciate that he holds everyone accountable. I think that's something that Houston has been severely lacking this past decade.

In terms of who it should be, I truly have no idea. I don't know much of anything about any of the coaching options. It's possible that the guy I want doesn't even exist. It's possible that Harden wouldn't allow any coach to treat him that way. I was just posting what I'm hoping for.

Deuce likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

It is true though if you think about it.

The reason that Collins was replaced in Chicago by Phil Jackson was because when it came down to crunch time Collins showed weakness and Jordan did not respect him.

When MDA was in Los Angeles, Kobe Bryant walked all over him and took himself out of games and back into games. There was no real respect there.

SVG was in the huddle and panicked and Shaq picked up on it and he was gone almost immediately...... because Riley knew, some people fight and some people run..... and while neither is inherently better, when it comes to leading a group; you have to have the fighter.

There are plenty of other examples but when it is a close and tight game, the stronger and more confident the coach, the better the players play and execute.

Some coaches learn from it..... years ago they said that Popovich panicked but he was self aware and it did not become an issue.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't see why you think Harden has been above reproach.

What has he done to make you think that?

It seems your issue is with Harden and it's interesting how you claim to now why Paul was shipped out or even think its relevant when Paul has not won at the level Harden has.

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

My only issues with this is having James play PG again next year.

IMO we need to move James back to SG.

We need a real PG and James can still have some of those duties for spurts but we really need to move James back to SG imo.

Bledsoe?/ or somebody else
    Harden
    Middleton
    RoCo
    Lopez or somebody else.

treyk3 likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agree on all counts except I spell his name as Lucas.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Trick Indy into giving us Malcom Brogdon for Eric after MDA goes there.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I looked at his Twitter account. Lots of stuff about Russ. And it all sounds absurd - like the Clippers wanting Westbrook to help with their playmaking.

There is no way any sentient being thinks that Russell Westbrook will help their playmaking in the playoffs.

jordnnnn and YOLO like this.