1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bra Bra Sources: John Lucas to be interviewed by Daryl Morey for HC vacancy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Sep 16, 2020.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Of course I would take Middleton over anything that the Clippers can offer, even if it were Paul George. However, I don't think the Bucks are dumb and/or desperate enough to trade Kris and Bledsoe for Westbrook. That would be taking a few dozen steps back in working towards a championship.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Didn't get a fair shake in Cleveland. Was asked to tank, tanked to get Lebron, then fired.

Rudyc281 and jiggyfly like this.
  3. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

What we really need is a rebuild. We're not going anywhere with this present roster, and certainly need to get rid of this small ball concept and bring back the big man again. If we're going to stick with the small ball theme, then we need to bring in some sharp shooters who can actually shoot and be deadly from the three. That's the only way the small ball concept will work, otherwise bring in the modern day player who can shoot with the old school mentality and get back to playing real basketball.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

So, I agree BUT Giannis isn't the smartest basketball mind and it appears as if he wants a splash before he extends. Russ is the easiest move. Middleton averages 20/6/5 on 41% but isn't that young himself and has a long contract. Bledsoe just played horribly. Sometimes players just want to play next to big names. Russ is definitely a bigger name than Middleton. Maybe Giannis wants someone who is perceived as a star and an emotional player like him vs a low key star in Middleton.

This all hinges on Giannis not wanting Middleton there and wanting a bigger name. If Giannis says get me RUSS and I'll sign a supermax. I'm running to the phone and getting it done.

Even in the Brook Lopez scenario, the Rockets would be in great shape and it gives the Bucks a trio of stars. It also saves Tilman A LOT of money and gives us draft picks back. We could possibly get 2 picks 2022 / 2024.

Harden/Bledsoe
    Eric/Ben
    Roco/House
    PJ / Bruno
    BroLO / DJ Wilson.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Lucas had a chance to be a head coach decades ago, and he isn't going to be the head coach again........ I guess you could call him a father figure, although he is actually more on their level, he is really a good guy that is capable of being very direct with players without being an ass. I had some dealings with him as a teenager and he was an extremely genuine and good person, even when no one is looking.

I would love him to have a position in the organization but the Rockets need a coach that is younger and more detail oriented, that can develop a system and culture.

JoeBarelyCares, joshuaao, HP3 and 4 others like this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I guess if you're banking on Giannis' stupidity to trump everything else then sure I'm definitely on board to get Kris.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

There are two huge factors this offseason.

#1 Wherever MDA ends up, Eric Gordon will have superstar value in his eyes.

#2 Giannis is going to force the Bucks to make a shortsighted move to appeal to him. Once he signs that supermax they are all good in Wisconsin. I think he'll want to keep Middleton, but push come to shove, Bucks will not let a contract in the way and that's why trading Russ there is our one hope of getting great value in return (unless Russ is cool with going to the Knicks and I promise we could rake them over the coal for picks and young talent).

In comparison to Middleton, Russ is the bigger star and puts up the bigger numbers, shooting percentages be damned. We gave up a ton for Russ to make James happy and it wasn't even a contract year. Stars rule the NBA. This hinges on Harden also being cool with trading his friend and Russ wanting to play with Giannis in Wisconsin. Nothing we do will be done without James being cool with it unless James is the one being traded next. Nothing the Bucks do will be done without Giannis saying it will get him closer to signing a supermax.

The results of the trade mean nothing, the contract will be signed before games are played. The Bucks already are not the favorites in the East as constructed now. The Heat, The Raptors and the Celtics just jumped them and the 76ers are probably just as good as the Bucks. The Nets will be a great team next year too. The East is finally getting good again and regardless of whether or not it is a trade for Russ, the Bucks have to make a drastic move to appeal to Giannis. Getting him signed is ALL that matters. The Bucks cannot wait for the next disgruntled star to demand a trade, they have to make a desperation move to make the biggest star that will ever play there want to finish his career there.

#67 treyk3, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    JoeBarelyCares and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

RESPECT to JLuc. Big time baller back in the day and great mentor. The question is whether James is receptive to and views JLuc as that mentor.

If he is looked at like Pop in terms of the trust and respect then I am so down for him to be the next HC in Houston.

Then the questions is what our style of play will look like.

Rudyc281 and fattz like this.
  9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I would trade Russ for Khris in a heartbeat. Harden/Middleton would be amazing.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. bmelo

bmelo Member

Oh yeah inhouse promotions. Sounds like a typical penny pinching business owner

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

It's 2020 and there's people that are still actually taking sauces seriously. lol

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Finkle is Einhorn.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I wouldn't say i'm taking it serious but I have a lot of fun dissecting possibilities. You know just a thought experiment with some critical thinking? Almost nothing you read in regards to rumors comes to fruition but it's still fun. Just don't expect anything to really happen and treat it like hypotheticals. BraBra was right so many times at the deadline, it's like he's a hacker with access to the computers of major organizations. I'd say the odds of John Lucas being the next coach is <1% and the odds of Russ being traded is <5% but discussing why and how each would happen brings more value to this site than being obtuse (not you just in general) and bringing negative energy and calling people dumb. In a time when everyone likes to go after one another, it's nice to just bring some conversation, you know?

RudyTBag and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. fattz

fattz Member

Harden is not going to respond to a strong personality. He will shut down and demand a new coach or trade. Harden works from respect and love —> loyalty. I been saying J Lucas is our next coach for years. If the Bucks are willing to erase Westbrook so be it.

New team / coach / attitude / now is the time to change the uniforms, too. Fresh start.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I don't trust anyone this soon after a loss, except @cyberx

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What coach other than Pop has the juice to stand up to players the caliber of Harden?

A great leader does not stand up to players, they get players to buy in to their systems.

Name a coach who anybody would choose over a player like Harden?

Spoelstra is the only one I can think of.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

nothing more than a twitter account that tweets just like any other person in the world can. 0 credibility when it comes to sauces.

Cf's needs real news. Not fake news

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Are you really using halftime analysis in a argument for who can coach?

Nook likes this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He deleted his old account but I'm telling you. He nailed EVERY SINGLE trade except on the very last day. He was way ahead on everything. I think he's a hacker or something.

RudyTBag and steddinotayto like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

They go hand in hand. A great leader has the confidence of the players and the system they are in. Having said that, there are going to be times where a superstar player may overstep their bounds and that dynamic needs to be handled properly. For all the love Popovich gets, an argument can be made that he did not handle Leonard properly. The same can be said about Pat Riley and LeBron James. The dynamics are complicated and there is more than one way to go about it. At the end of the day though, the player has to have confidence that their coach is a winner and knows what to do.

Spoelstra isn't Spoelstra without the support system behind him. There were times that he struggled standing up to James and Wade. There were times where Pat Riley had to step in. Popovich was very lucky to have a star like Tim Duncan that for the most part did not cause issues (but people forget he was very close to leaving for Orlando too).

There are coaches out there that are strong leaders. Look at the teams still in the playoffs...... those are all strong leaders. Even someone like Vogel, who has seen a team quit on him in Indiana, kept that team playing hard because he leads by example and is very energetic and positive with his players.

MDA understands basketball at a very high level. He was genuinely liked by his players and at 68 years old is a very good person. He knows how to get along with his players and gets through to them by making the game fun for him. However, he is someone that avoids conflict to such an extent that it can be a problem. Sometimes he coaches from fear, and that cannot even happen. SVG coached from fear as well....... players pick up on that.

joshuaao, Rudyc281 and harold bingo like this.