1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you called into a sports radio show?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by arkoe, Sep 16, 2020.

?

Have you called into a sports radio show?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Was wondering reading one of the threads down the page how many folks here have actually called into a radio show. Personally I don't see a reason to ever bother doing so.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hey [radio show host], love the show. First time [caller], long time [listener]. What do you think about the Rockets trading Eric Gordon & Danuel House to Milwaukee for Giannis Antetokounmpo? Bucks get something for Giannis, better than losing him for nothing. Rockets get another superstar. What do you think? I'll hang up and listen. Great show, keep it up.

Hey [radio show host], love the show. First time [caller], long time [listener]. What do you think about the Texans trading for Odell Beckham Jr. and Allen Robinson? Texans could use a #1 WR to replace DeAndre Hopkins. Maybe trade a first and a third for one and a second for the other. Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I called into Charlie Pallilo's show back in the late 00s.

I tried to tell him we should keep Kyle Lowry over Aaron Brooks because Kyle could learn to hit a three while Brooks was never going to be able to overcome his size limitations as a defender.

He told me I was wrong and gave me the boot. Lulz.

I also called into the Art Briles' show back in 2003 and told him I was looking forward to seeing what he could do with Barrick Nealy. He brought in Kevin Kolb 2 days later. Omega lulz.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Internal mental during the call- "Dont **** this up. Dont sound stupid, Dont sound stupid, Dont sound stupid......."
    Internal mental after the call- "****, I sounded stupid!"

J.R. likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Daily to breathe heavy and fap to call screener's voice.

STR8Thugg, TimDuncanDonaut and Jontro like this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's almost like asking, why the heck would anybody post on a forum? :D As for why anyone would : In the 80's, the only way to "talk" sports and get sports news relatively quickly was probably sports talk shows and Usenet newsgroups on the Internet.

I called into SportsBeat on KTRH back in the 80's as a kid to ask them who the fastest Oiler was. LOL. I think Jerry Trupiano was the host... not sure if Tom Franklin was there with him. John Breen *may* have been there, but I think he died around that time, so not sure. Jamie "Spider Man" WIlliams was the guest that day. Those names will probably trigger nostalgia for some. :D

I called in once in my 20's to 790 whlie listening to a fantasy football show to answer a trivia question and was shocked I got in, but then realized it was close to midnight on a local fantasy football show, so probably not many callers. I answered the question and won tickets up in the nosebleed sections to a Rockets game.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Well when you put it like that...

Guess for me part of it is I associate the radio with being between things in the car. I'm not looking to sit around on hold.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I called Charlie and Rich back in the day. I think the comment was something regarding Brent Price and Matt Maloney. Maybe who the starter should be.

Once the BBS really blew up there really became no need for sports talk radio other than passing time. I mean most of those guys have **** GARM takes. See John Lopez.

TWS1986, mikol13 and arkoe like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I called in to 610 asking about Rodrick Rhodes one time. Low point in my life I guess.

Nook, Jontro and boomboom like this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

[​IMG]

Ziggy and jiggyfly like this.
  11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The worst part of sports talk are the callers. I'd rather listed to breaking news, hearing sports writers from around the country as guests, hearing athletes as guests. When some idiot calls in, I usually switch stations.

Ubiquitin, arkoe and Sajan like this.
  12. CrazyJoeDavola

Yes, but i forgot to turn down my radio so i ended up getting confused and then Ed Fowler hung up on me

Jontro and arkoe like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't called in but I've emailed KFAN MN Sports Talk a few times and have had a few read on the air. I had an email that got read and debated when the Twins first signed Marwin Gonzalez. There was a discussion about what Gonzalez might bring to the Twins. I wrote in that he was a great signing given how valuable he had been to the Stros World Series team.

For anyone in MN I go by "Houston Sports Guy" I tried "Rocketsjudoka" but they wouldn't read that.

TWS1986 and Jontro like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Arnie Spanier, anybody remember that guy?

Nook, Ziggy and CometsWin like this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I used to listen to him, the rambling was entertaining.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

I'd stay up late, and that's how I heard about the Randy Johnson trade, straight up midnight "HOUSTON WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE UNIT!?"

And then Art Bell would come on later, which was extra special weird.

ipaman likes this.
  17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Never. And I stopped listening to 610 sports radio in the 90s.

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why did you have to post this...

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yeah I called 610 once when JVG was our coach and taking questions. Asked him some question about Yao and his playing time or some stupid **** like that. Only time I have ever tried to call in and got through. JVG was nice

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I did like 25yrs ago and won a baseball game for my sega genesis .

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.