1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans @ Chiefs (Unofficial) 2020 Season Opener

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by houstonstime, Sep 10, 2020.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I call bs on thsi. if they really wanted to win they would have fired this sht coach years ago or at least after that sht perfromance vs the chiefs. Like how can upper management look that sht show of a game performance by BoB and say oh yea he deserves to b fully promoted, trying to win my ass.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It’s incredible that Devlin has kept his job all this time.

3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Now we are talking about different things.

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

how so? u claim that the Texans organization r trying to win. my counter is that no fkin way that they are actively trying to aim for the superbowl if they keep giving more power to a sht coach who has shown time and time again he doesn't know what the fk he is doing to take us to the promise land.

Sure u can say that they r trying their best to win the AFC south title lol, cause it makes most fans happy.

5. STR8Thugg

I think if the opinion is that ownership isn't really trying to win I would disagree wholeheartedly, but you would have more of an argument. If the opinion is that the coaches/front office don't care about winning anything more than division titles, then that's just completely moronic.

Going back to ownership. This is not how I would have approached it, but the McNair's tend to sit back and let things play out. They don't really meddle in football operations like Jerrah Jones used to do. I agree they have been far too complacent and have given coaches too long of a leash time and again, but I don't think that has anything to do with "not wanting to win." You are using the mindset that if you disagree with decisions being made that means ownership is apathetic to winning. That logic doesn't really make sense. There is a difference between incompetency and desire.

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Organization is satisfied.

We're not near the top BUT we are at the bottom of the league.

7. raining threes

In addition to 51-7,

BOB should be fired for his loyalty to a guy that does less with more talent. (Devlin)

STR8Thugg likes this.
  8. raining threes

The McNair's aren't incompetent. They're accomplishing their goals of making money. The on the field product is totally secondary, if it's that high on their list.

I would say Cal's goals are

1. Making money first last and anything in between.
    2. Hanging out in the socialite scene
    3. On the field product.

9. STR8Thugg

If this is going to be your argument then I would argue he could make even more money by having his team win a Super Bowl. Thanks for pointing out that he and his dad are good businessmen. Never would have figured that billionaire owners of NFL franchises are great at making money....

I don't necessarily think that he is an incompetent owner, but a lot of the decisions regarding the front office could be argued to be incompetent. Furthermore, the majority of people think O'Brien is incompetent. So I think one could make the argument that ownership is incompetent regarding decisions that affect the product on the field.

At the end of the day I think the "they aren't trying to win" take is incredibly lazy and not credible. It's definitely not true in regards to the front office, but I don't think it's true regarding ownership either. You, me, and many others may not like the decisions that have been made, but BOB isn't doing it to try and lose or be mediocre. For better or worse that is what BOB and Easterbunny think is in the best interesting of winning.

Personally, I am willing to let this season play out. I need to see major progress from the offense to be satisfied with the direction of the team. If not, O'Brien needs to be gone.

10. raining threes

You can actaully make more money by not playing in the SB than playing in the SB.

18 years and counting shows how little ownership cares. What FA moves have the Texans ever made to try to put themselves over the top? JoJo/Manning should have shown them how it's done if you want to compete for championships. But it didn't, why? Because it costs money.

11. STR8Thugg

How often do major free agent signings lead to Super Bowls? Most teams that win do a terrific job of drafting and developing guys in house. Ravens and Steelers are a good example.

But to answer your question: Brock, Lamar Miller, Joseph, Manning... Brock was awful, Lamar Miller was okay, Joseph and Manning were good.

Again, you are confusing incompetency with apathy. Brock was terrible, but they spent money to try to get a QB.

12. raining threes

The Rams and the Eagles

The Chiefs added Mathieu and Frank Clark last yr. 49ers added Sherman and Ford and a LB that I cant recall his name.

13. STR8Thugg

Frank Clark and Dee Ford were traded for each other. They were not FA pickups.

The reason the 49ers got good is because John Lynch did a terrific job of drafting, and Shanahan runs a great offense.

14. raining threes

And they added in FA and trades.

BTW, Frank Clark was acquired in a trade for the Chiefs 1st rd draft pick.

Ford was acquired for acquired for the 49ers 2nd rd draft pick.

My question is, why didn't the Texans get in on some of that action seeing how badly they needed a pass rusher?

15. STR8Thugg

Sure. It's a combination of all things, but if you are talking about breaking the bank those FA moves don't usually work out.

After this I'm done with the back and forth with you. I didn't like the offseason either, but I'm not the lazy take type that is just going to just blame the owner. Why didn't the Texans get Antonio Brown, what about Earl Thomas, what about Kaepernick, what about Nnamdi Asomugha, what about Drew Brees back in the day, what about Tom Brady, what about Dez Bryant, what about Calais Campbell, what about Hayden Hurst, what about, what about!!!!

What about Eric Murray? The team that payed him probably overpaid by about 15 million vs other offers. Oh yeah that was the Texans!!!

This argument that we don't at least try is just stupid. Murray isn't good, we overpaid by a mile, but wtf THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN INCOMPETENCY AND COMPLACENCY!!! If the damn team was complacent we could have run it back with the same roster instead of trading away the best WR in the league for peanuts bc BOB wanted to go speedy, slot, small WR all day NE-style. Like geezus I don't like the moves either. My only point this entire time is that you are way off base with the whole "they aren't trying to win" nonsense. You can keep going on and on and on with the "why didn't we sign X." Why didn't we sign fournette, clinton dix, etc, etc, etc. clearly they aren't spending money bc they don't care about winning." Fine continue with this old-as-the-earth-itself schtick.

At this point your mind is made up. I don't care to spend any more time educating you. I just hope we win this week. Next week, etc. If you don't like the team, then don't watch.

16. raining threes

Educating me?

Just look at how the two teams that played in the SB were built.

A combination of drafting well, spending money on a few top tier FA's and trades for proven pieces they were missing.

Can you honestly say the Texans were built this way?

17. STR8Thugg

You keep changing the argument.

No the results have not panned out how we wanted.

We have drafted well in the first round. We've been outrageously inconsistent outside of that.

We have made plenty of trades. More than I would like.

In summary, no I don't like a lot of the moves that have been made. Whether that is trading Hopkins, signing Eric Murray and Randall Cobb to ridiculous contracts, or Drafting Kahale Warring in the 3rd round. I can't stand those moves.

But I can understand the difference between seeing a team make transactions that I don't like and making the argument that because I don't like the transactions → Texans aren't trying to win.

p.s. The team that has done the arguably the best job of drafting, FA pickups, and trades is the Baltimore Ravens. That team was blown up by the freaking Titans last year in the same round the Texans lost. Obviously they have a bright future, but football is a fickle b**** at times. Only 2 teams make the super bowl, and 1 team wins. Does that mean every other team in the league is "not trying to win?"

Blatz likes this.
  18. raining threes

I'm not just talking about this yr or this regime. Although I used this yrs SB as an example of how teams should be built. This is an issue that the Texans have had since their beginning. The only season that they invested in top tier FA's happened to lead to the most successful two years in franchise history. Coincidence? I think not.

No the Texans have not been built like the last two SB participants, is the answer to the question I posed.

19. STR8Thugg

Again, your are using a straw man argument. Nobody is saying they are constructed like those teams. What I am saying is your take that they "aren't trying to win" is more than a bit misguided. But on that, I'm done arguing. We both have our minds made up.

The year the Texans spent on Joseph and Manning ownership stepped in and put a stop to Kubiak hiring his buddies to coach the defense. We hired a real defensive coordinator that has an incredible history of turning around defenses in every single place he's been. His track record is HOF worthy in my opinion. That team also lost in the divisional round 2 consecutive years, for what it's worth.

20. raining threes

My point is, until the Texans org starts operating like those two teams there will be no championships. This will definitely include a full housecleaning including new ownership. We both no this isn't going to happen. It is what it is.