1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin as a Pekin Duck

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mig0s, Aug 27, 2019.

1. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Harvard grad probably wouldn't settle for minimum wage...

Jontro likes this.
  2. yoeddy

Again, I'm not making any evaluation of Lin's game here...just saying that it's highly doubtful that he would have made the decision to leave the CBA unless he had some indication from his agent or someone else that there was interest from a team or teams in signing him.

Didn't know anything about Fredette...but just because he's a great scorer in the CBA does not make him a good fit for an NBA team. And fwiw, it does look like Fredette got a shot with Phoenix after his two years in Shanghai...it didn't work out so now he plays in Greece.

3. adoo

adoo Member

by the same token, because JLin doesn't shoot as well as Fredette against inferior competition in the CBA means that, in the eyes of NBA GMs,
    he is less of fit than Fredette,

4. yoeddy

Yep, agree, especially if they were looking for a pure scorer. Bottom line is that none of us know what NBA GMs think of Lin. All I did was comment on the likelihood that Lin would publicly announce that he was leaving the CBA to go back to the NBA without having some indication that there's an NBA team or teams who have expressed interest.

#644 yoeddy, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  5. yoeddy

So after reading this, I was curious to compare Fredette and Lin's shooting stats in China and found this:

Lin: 49.1% FG, 33.8% 3PT, 54.7% 2PT (1 season)
    Fredette: 47.1% FG, 41,9% 3PT, 51.3% 2PT (over 3 seasons...each season was pretty similar)

From this, it actually looks like Lin is a better shooter (or at least more efficient) than Fredette against inferior competition. Fredette is clearly the better 3pt shooter, but overall, Lin's more efficient. Lin also had more assists per game, although Fredette had more steals and rebounds per game.

Also, keep in mind that Fredette did this when he was in his late 20s...so he was in the prime of his career, vs Lin achieving these numbers when he is 31.

#645 yoeddy, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No.

Jontro likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

@Zboy
    Wow can’t even help a team in China.
    There’s always the WNBA
    He can come off the bench for the Sparks

8. yoeddy

He led the Beijing Ducks to their best record in a decade and reach the playoff semi-finals for the first time in 6 years. So it appears that he did help them.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

He can help a WNBA team too for one year and start crying again and jump to a new league
    @Zboy

10. yoeddy

He said he'd rather get back to the NBA, so WNBA is probably not on his radar..

11. Lovemachine2000

This is rather dishonest, Jimmer averaged 37 points per game over 3 seasons, Jeremy only 22 ppg.

tinman likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

well all LOFs lie for Lin.

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Has he figured out the art of a layup yet?

tinman likes this.
  14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh lord. The stat cherry picking to prop up Lin's career is still a thing.

15. yoeddy

So when someone says "X player shoots better than Y player", shooting percentage is "cherry picking"?? LMAO!

16. yoeddy

Why is it dishonest? You assertion was specifically about "how well he shoots", not "how many points per game he scores". How many points per game he scores would need to account for minutes per game (Jimmer averaged significantly more minutes per game) and shots taken per game. And so many other factors influencing points per game...quality of teammates, system, etc. Does the fact that Jimmer took 27 shots per game vs. Lin's 14 shots per game somehow make Jimmer a better shooter?

17. tinman

Supporting Member

I’m sure the WNBA would welcome him
    @Reeko

18. SunsRocketsfan

Yoeddy
    Give it up. Lin sucks and doesn't belong in the NBA anymore. I was once a Lin fan and followed linsanity but the dude is a attention seeking drama queen and he couldn't even win in China. He had his chance to be the Fred Vanvleet in Toronto but he sucked. His time in the NBA is done. He had a small run of good games and that's going to be his legacy. Time to move on.

tinman likes this.
  19. yoeddy

Give what up? All I commented on was the idea that Lin probably talked with his agent about the likelihood of an NBA team signing him before announcing he was leaving the CBA. I made no assertion regarding whether he still had the ability to play in the NBA. Someone brought up Jimmer Fredrette, whom I had never heard of before, so I looked him up and compared their stats.

I'm interested to see if there is NBA interest and if he does in fact find a team to sign with. Am I (or you) in a credible position to say conclusively whether or not he belongs? I know I'm not...I'm just a fan...what about you?

20. tinman

Supporting Member

This guy loves Lin, it's his passion.
    Like if you eat a bunch of hot dogs like Joey Chesnut.

He likes Lin nuts and he'll beat everyone eating them
    @Reeko @Os Trigonum

SunsRocketsfan likes this.