1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amick: Dantoni felt disrespected by organization, chose to quit on plane

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

We have blamed the coach, TF, and Morey till we are blue in the face.

We are now going to be on coach #3 and on second star # 3 but no one blames Harden for us not getting over the hump.

If your MVP disappears when the pressure is on you will never win I don't care if you get the clone of Phil Jackson and Red Auerbach's ghost to coach this team.

2. hakeemthagreat

Morey still needs to go. MDA is being made the scapegoat but the bigger problem is Moreyball and the dysfunctional culture he's created around this franchise. Please remember EVERY coach since JVG has left Houston on bad terms

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Morey is a consultant on basketball matters.
    Ultimately the coach makes the decisions.

Rocket River.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

nm

#184 TexAg713, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  5. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

news flash, most coaches leave every team on "bad terms".

banzai likes this.
  6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Letting Ariza walk the next year after our 65 win season was appalling.

D-rock, slothy420, DVauthrin and 2 others like this.
  7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

All this stuff about D'Antoni pulling the cord because he was pissed at the owner reeks of PR. If Tilman wanted to keep him, he would have called. If D'Antoni believed in the team as constructed, he would have waited for a conversation before bailing out. He didn't believe, and vice versa.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

my first thought was that warren legarie and sam amick must be buddy buddy

Will likes this.
  9. SORF

SORF Member

I think NBA bubble may become a case study for years to come for psych classes on the theory of isolation on decision making.

NBA teams were placed in an isolation bubble to protect themselves from Covid-19. But that same isolation bubble also isolated from what was happening outside the bubble. Many teams felt the isolation helped them become a closer team where every player only had to depend on other teammates. So what happened with the Rockets? Why did their cohesiveness disappear against the Lakers? The last three games the Rockets looked out of touch with each other...the team chemistry was missing. It was there during the first series, it was there during the first 2 games of the second series. What happened? Answer, the NBA decided to do an investigation of House and Chandler. What did the NBA do first? They sent the players, staff, and coaching team to their rooms. The NBA furthered isolated the team from each other. No talking to each other during the investigation...just stay in your room and be with your own thoughts. The only time they were allowed to interact with each other was during practices and games...and no discussion of the House/Chandler matter during those times.
    When you are isolated like that for as long as the Rockets were, your mind starts to obsess over things real and not so real. We saw personally how disjointed their playing was during the last 3 games, just imagine how disjointed their thinking was during that same time. This is not the time to make career decisions when you are dealing with mixed emotions and thinking. Add losing the series that you thought was winnable, your thinking is at at low point causing further confusion.

I think the reason Tillman never made the call was because he wanted to give the team and MDA some time to chill, reintegrate back with their families, and when everyone had a breather, then make plans for the next season. MDA with his insecurities, responded in a hasty way and quit. He should have taken a break before making ANY decisions let only one that has had serious repercussions as his quitting. At 69, he should have learned life's lessons to never make a rushed decision...always take the time and think things through. I really think the isolation of the bubble, the NBA's investigation, and MDA's insecurities got the best of him.

That said, I really don't think MDA is the coach the Rockets need. MDA reminds me of a "participation coach" not an inspiring coach. When the Rockets were struggling, he should have been inspiring the team to make adjustments to get them going. Instead he was saying, it's okay, you just need to keep trying and your shot will come back. To me that is not a winning coach. Good luck MDA, and thank you for your participation.

As for Tillman, stop being a typical businessman. The Rockets are not a typical business...it is a sports franchise. You need to approach it as a sports fan business man...open the purse strings a bit. Get us a BIG 3 point shooting and rebounding forward or center. As for a new coach, I have no idea unless you can steal Pop from SA. I think that is the type of coach the Rockets need...a player's coach that can inspire you when he gets on your ass to produce and how to do it.

waytookrzy079, bmelo and clos4life like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden gets a pass on his haircut because he is Harden.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I was right about Westbrook and CP3. You get some right you get some wrong.....no big deal.

Now Grow up kid.

DD

bmelo likes this.
  12. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

You are 100% correct without a doubt. These perceived slights and problems sound relatively insignificant.

D'Antoni has done great things for the Rockets, but they're trying to win a championship. A lateral coaching move could push us over the top right now. I think they have to try something else because if they do it all the same next year, there is a pretty good chance they'll get the same result.

What Morey said in the playoffs about keeping D'Antoni was likely him being professional and respectful about the situation.

13. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Not everyone is good with isolation. Nor being in a prison. Harden couldn’t go to strip clubs. That’s a big break in his routine. No wonder he couldn’t perform!

14. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I think he quit before that TBH.

15. omgTHEpotential

I hope there aren't any idiots here thinking Morey needs to go.

D-rock likes this.
  16. PhiSlammaJamma

He's probably waiting for the fax.

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Jeff Van Gundy looks like he can have this job if he wants it.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How in the world do you fire someone from their job on good terms? :D

19. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Tilman is the new Ellen.

Nook likes this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, all this dysfunction and winning more than any other franchise outside of the Warriors for the last two decades. :D Spoiled people can’t remember the dark years. Can’t remember what it feels like to miss the playoffs, can you?

Let’s fire more coaches on good terms, lol.