1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Strong Rumblings Of Rockets wanting to bring back JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Does JVG really want to step into this situation? Yes, the Rockets are a playoff team. But, they are kinda stuck with what they got.

BenjaminChen likes this.
  2. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Time to roll the dice with a new coach, not being back one that got fired after 3 seasons with the Rockets. I mean, I live him a commentator, but he had Yao and T-Mac and got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs in all 3 seasons with the Rockets.

3. fattz

fattz Member

Please no, just no. JVG is a fossilized systems coach. He couldn’t do a fraction of what he did because of rule changes. Goodness sometimes we are at 80 by halftime NOT the finale score. Grinding it out with turnover prone players is not ideal. We go from one gimmick to the next. Your not with your ex for a reason. No, please no.

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

and they didn't clash

5. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Does this mean JVG as coach and Lue as assistant? Or vice versa?

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It means those are two options being considered for HC.

JVG absolutely won't come back as an assistant and Ty Lue turned us down for an assistant job already once.

Rudyc281 and Ramo$e like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

no. the article is a must read though

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think JVG, the Rockets fan, would hate to for JVG, the broadcaster, to be JVG, the Rockets coach, because of the current ownership. Ty Lue wouldn't touch us unless he's getting paaaaaaid that's for certain.

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

What kind of culture change would Lue bring? Just a Lebron puppet who would be a Harden/Morey puppet. Both Lue and LeBron got way too much credit for taking down a beat up Warriors team that the Thunder nearly took out at full strength and needed a Warriors exhausting comeback in the series to win. Much like the tale of Magic/Kareems stroll through the West to face a beat up and exhausted Celtics/Pistons/Sixers on a yearly basis.

JVG would bring a culture change within the attitude of the team, but the true culture change is moving on from Morey. Without that move, what's the point? Could be D'Antoni or it could be any other coach. They're all just going to play the same way Morey has made the team play and lose in epic letdown for a long time now. Were essentially looking for a "get on your ass" motivator to replace "positive reinforcement" motivators. That's all the coaches are under Morey. Motivators.

Rudyc281 and J.R. like this.
  10. riko

riko Member

We need a whole cultural revolution so to speak. The days of the patients running the asylum needs to end. You play with no energy You sit that includes Harden. You turn it over you sit Westbrook, everyone need to be held accountable

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  11. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

don't forget allan houston!

12. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I don't know who should be the next coach. I don't have a favorite and I'm not educated enough to have an opinion.

That said, JVG is a defensive-minded coach and, when the Rockets played well in the playoffs, it was because they made their small ball defense work exquisitely. When they weren't laser-focused on team defense, they faltered. So there's that.

13. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Sign me up for JVG and Mark Jackson

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We may need to hire Mark Jackson man...

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Hire Van Gundy.

Both of them.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I want pop, gundy brothers, Cassell/Mario in that order.

Htown Legend likes this.
  17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I can’t wait for his press conferences and seeing those bags under his eyes come back/the press showing up to Toyota center to find that he slept in the office and hasn’t put his shoes on yet.

18. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

JVG would be adamant about not participating in any fixed games. He would curse out the league.

Rudyc281 likes this.