1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The all inclusive potential coach guide (2020-2021)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Hard for me to say who I want, because the most important two most important qualities are that 1) the stars buy in/trust the coach and 2) the coach isn't afraid to hold the stars accountable.

Of course I'd love a superstar tactician with creative offenses, great in game adjustments and an innovative defense, but none of that matters if Russ and Harden don't respect their coach. Who do they respect and trust? I don't, you'd have to ask them. Paul Silas, Chris Finch, Rex Kalamian sound intriguing will they call out their stars when they mess up, and will the stars respond?

Based on that criteria I guess I'm talking myself into Ty Lue. I can see a world where JVG fits the bill.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I dont think any coach can help with the current makeup of this team.

And when I mean help I mean help it to become a contender and one of the favorites.

This team is flawed and does not much room to maneuver.

And next year there will possibly be even stronger teams with Warriors and Nets in the mix.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Appreciate the in depth breakdown @Nook that had to take a minute lol

Just fyi here as far as odds for next coach. take it however you want

baller4life315 and Nook like this.
  4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I'd give him a shot honestly.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Good for him!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Wow Sam Cassell actually has a shot. I wouldn't mind Tyrone Lue though. He played with us for one year.

7. Nook

Nook Member

I personally have never met her and the person I know hasn’t had any substantive conversations with her. I can tell you that Pop has said before that she is probably the most game time prepared coach he has had on his staff. She is always prepared, has broken down the film and reviewed everything. Has a reputation as a hard worker and respected by the players on the Spurs.

There was talk about her getting a head coaching job recently so it is only a matter of time. I am sure the Pacers or Rockets will interview her.

She has some very serious supporters among players she has coached. I can think of Danny Green and Pau Gasol both saying she could become a top level NBA coach.

Personally I think it would be nice to be the franchise that gives the first head coaching job to a woman. There are right now several strong candidates that are women so I am excited about the future of the game in that regard. If she has “it” then she should be the Rockets choice.

jch1911, charlieaustin, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if we end up w/ whiny b****ass SVG, there's gonna be a lot of CF posters upset and fed up whenever they see my moniker here w/ complaints about him day after day :D

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Steve Van Gundy is actually friendly with Morey and big on statistics and advanced scouting. My problem with him is what Shaq said about him panicking. That is the last thing the Rockets need.

Nate McMillan as head coach would be a big “FU” to Morey and what the Rockets believe in. I would be shocked if McMillan got the job.

Maybe Jeff Van Gundy gets his brother to be associate head coach and they try to sell their case that way. I believe SVG is still getting paid so money won’t be a big issue.

Deuce and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. PWR

PWR Member

Just give me this guy.
    The biggest A-hole in NBA history.
    2X champion as a player
    3X champion as a head coach
    2X coach of the year
    He's used to turning soft a** teams into champions. He's exactly what our soft a** team needs.

Bill Laimbeer

JayGoogle, Rudyc281 and pippendagimp like this.
  11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

What about Kelvin Sampson?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

I would be happy with SVG as an assistant or associate head coach. He knows basketball very well, he just isn’t made for the big moment as a head coach.

Deuce, baller4life315 and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Have the rockets been keeping tabs on Messina since he left?

I remember a old @cyberx thread asking what people think about Messina...kind of hinting he was on the rockets radar but that was a year or 2 ago I believe.

And is Messina interested in coming back to NBA?

Nook and pippendagimp like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I knew I would leave someone off.

Sampson is someone that should get a really strong look. He has a strong relationship with the owner, GM and franchise player. He is known for defense, preparation and establishing a culture.

Deuce, RayRay10, IslandB.O.I. and 3 others like this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he reminds me of pj carlesimo in his grating annoying attitude. i could actually see russ choking him :D

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I do not know if Messina is interested as of the last year. I do know that Daryl Morey a few years ago said that Messina would have a job as a head coach if there were not so many rebuilding teams in the NBA.

He is a legend and knows a great deal of basketball and if you have ever seen him speak he can command a room.

RayRay10, pippendagimp and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I want him hired. That would be a great sleeper hire. He should have took over when we had McHale. Is his son ready to take over at U of H?

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

From the people I know at UH, his son is pretty close. He has increased responsibilities each year.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

By habit, Kenny would diss the Rockets in the huddle.

Cstyle42 likes this.
  20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm intrigued at the possibility of getting Cassell. I'm pretty sure that even though he would work with Morey, he definitely would convince Harden to mix up his game from the mid-range and likely bring an edge as a coach.

I loved Mike, but goodness, he never was willing to go the extra mile to get T's when he needed to light a fire under the referees ass. I feel that players need to see their coach fight for them and I'm sure Cassell would go the extra mile to make a point to the refs. If we can bring in Alvin Gentry as an associate head coach under Cassell, that would be pretty damn nice as well.

I also think Cassell would help develop some young talent and even give them a chance to play, another weakness of Mike.

Jayzers_100, Cstyle42 and Rudyc281 like this.