1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Players Made It Clear: We Don’t Believe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Sep 12, 2020.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Who do you think should be the head coach instead of MDA? I'm not in favor of JVG.

#21 saleem, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    waytookrzy079, amaru and glynch like this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well nobody should believe in them either. Glad we’re on the same page.

arabrocket and amaru like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you, it never would have gotten to the point of Westbrook saying what he did with the Heat or Spurs or Warriors or Celtics or Raptors or Mavericks because these organizations have a hands on approach and a basketball culture where their coaches are proactive and make sure their players know what they are doing or aren’t playing.

4. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I completely agree. All season long it felt like MDA was just mailing it in this year and knew he was a lame duck coach. The entire season the Rockets just loafed around, losing to bad teams regularly which is a sign of a lack of accountability. Those habits carry over into the postseason.

And then it's clear he completely got outclassed by Vogul.

It's time to move on.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

that -29 is literally all from tonights game...a game where he was the only one who did anything offensively

we lost this series by 37 points

Generally playing poorly? The only poor game he had was game 4.

7. amaru

amaru Member

Tilman gets some blame here for making MDA a lame duck coach. He really should have been fired last season but Tilman was too cheap to pay for 2 coaches.

8. Nook

Nook Member

The short answer is I do not know because I am not working with the assistant coaches around the league so I don’t know who they are as people.

I would probably want someone that was exposed and around an organization that has that type of culture to begin with. Those coaches have an advantage to begin with. However that isn’t a guarantee.

If you want names:
    Stephen Silas
    Charles Lee
    Will Hardy
    Dan Craig
    Pablo Prigioni
    Brian Keefe
    Adrian Griffin

I would also look at the G-League

Brian Adams
    Ryan Pannone

If the Rockets want a coach with head coaching experience I would look at:

Kelvin Sampson
    Kenny Atkinson
    Dave Joerger
    Ty Lue

I would stay the hell away from Jason Kidd and Mark Jackson.

9. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Russ is the scapegoat now. Lol

10. saleem

Don't blame Harden. He tried hard. If Russ' quad limited his explosion, he should have been back on the bench. Morey is partly to blame too. He was unable to stop the House situation. His lack of basketball knowledge hurts us too. He just goes along with the coach's philosophy, 3 and D mantra, small ball, and over relying on sats. Picking up softies like Bruno doesn't help either, when they are better options for additional depth.
    @ApacheWarrior @Deckard

11. saleem

Thanks Nook.

RayRay10, amaru and Nook like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden continues to get better in the playoffs, but the team around him continues to get worse and take a step back

Harden was excellent defensively in these playoffs

his offensive numbers:

30, 6, and 8...only 3.8 turnovers per game...he shot 48% from the field and 33% from 3

we had a +3.4 net rating with him on the floor...that was much higher before it got dragged down by these last 2 games

beardsanity713, Deuce, B-Bob and 9 others like this.
  13. saleem

Definitely!

amaru and HP3 like this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Harden has worked hard on his defense. He's worked hard on his offense but the problem is he's working hard on to narrow of a scope.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Also another think to consider...

Compare the Rockets coaching staff to the Lakers staff and that is a part of the coaching issue as well.

Deuce, slothy420, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  16. jowman

jowman Member

**** tilman. Someone needs to pull a bron and get him investigated for possible mob ties.

AroundTheWorld and Hakeemtheking like this.
  17. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Never crossed my mind until I saw someone post it: Billups. Not sure if coaching is something he wants, but I find that mold to be very intriguing for Harden and Russ.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Did we really go away from what we did in Game 1 or did the Lakers just adjusted.

It's not like we chose not to play faster. Once they started doubling our whole offense stalled. They camped AD and LeBron in the paint and everyone on our team was afraid to make layups.

I think we just lacked the talent to do anything. We have a lot of one dimensional pieces for one style of play, when Harden couldn't drive and kick, no one knows what to do to create a shot. Hell half of our roster can't even dribble properly for a layup in an open lane.

IBTL likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

This is what I mean when I say he thinks he can run the Rockets like he does his restaurants. He can cut corners in a restaurant but not in the NBA.

He was too cheap to extend MDA and it became a distraction. The players know he wasn’t extended and what that meant. He should have extended him and then fired him if he wanted him gone. Same with assistant coaches. He should have paid the cost for a Lionel Hollins to run his defense.

He would have been far better letting his GM decide on trades and not force them but give the coaching a bigger budget.

If we had kept Paul, extended MDA and added assistants like Hollins and Lue, we would still be playing.

The less spectacular moves matter...

20. HP3

HP3 Member

LMAO, truly single minded and narrow focus. I can't believe you could watch this game and still say this garbage. Sorry this is was my fault for quoting this absolute trite anyways....ugh

saleem likes this.