1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Harden hate has to stop

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swedish-olajuwon, Sep 11, 2020.

1. swedish-olajuwon

It's a sad day as a die hard Houston Rockets fan to read this forum right now.
    During these 8 years Rockets never missed the playoffs, the guy has been carrying mediocre players for so many years and not even once did he complain, act out in the media, asked for a trade or anything controversial.

He has been top 2 in the MVP voting 4 years out of the 8 years he has been in Houston. He has been top 9 or higher in the MVP ranking every single year as a player for Houston Rockets.

Never did Harden play on the most talented team and under his leadership Houston was one game away and mainly one hamstring away from beating the greatest team ever put together in GSW led by Durant, Curry, Klay and Green. In fact, all the times you bash Harden for so called shortcomings he has been leading teams that would be lottery teams without him.

And then you look at all the other superstars in the league, LeBron, Durant, Klay, PG, AD, Irving changing teams due to them requesting trades to join superteams. And then you have Harden who busted his ass for Rockets and made mediocre Rocket teams relevant due to his own excellence. Put Harden on the Clippers instead of Kawhi and he would be killing it, put Harden next to AD for the Lakers and he'd be killing it. Now the guy is getting constant double teams while having mediocre teammates to pass. No one else is getting doubled like Harden, imagine how LeBron would look if he'd play in a team that would be so bad that the opposite team would be doubling him constantly.

But still so many of you guys just hate on him and take the guy for granted. And I feel quiet silly to defend a filthy rich athlete but if so called fans act like this, then I am not surprised by all Harden's lame haters.

While other stars are teaming up on superteams Harden is stuck with G-league players and released cheap ass players like Rivers, House, Clemons, Green, Mclemore, Sefolosha, Bruno and Chandler or streaky guys like EG and Russ.

This Rocket squad has no where close to have the talent needed to be able to fight for the title.

#1 swedish-olajuwon, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

He's not perfect. He has his flaws. But god damn if he's not the main guy people blame on this board. It's always the stupidest people who can never back up what they say that are going at him too. The amount of "Move off ball" posts without mention of anything else is something esle.

3. icewill36

icewill36 Member

the problem is he has an owner that wont pay luxury tax to get the talent around him he needs.

4. HardenVolumeOne

Its crazy how LeBron in his career has always had the right superstars to pair up with, always is surrounded by shooters like Kevin Love, Kyrie, Bosh, Battier, Mike Miller etc.. Dude has arguably played with more elite talent than any atg player since Bill Russell

Harden outside of CP3 always had flawed superstar teammates

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

it's been scientifically proven that his birds nest is slowing down his progress when he runs. it needs to go

malakas likes this.
  6. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

True...harden has to be the man or else the team lose. He doesn't have the luxury like LeBron and the snake durant lol

7. swedish-olajuwon

Spot on.
    The "move off ball" crap is beyond stupid due to the fact that no one but him can really create on this squad. Russ and Gordon are way too turn over prone to carry the ball for long stretches and a big part of Harden's greatness is his passing. People seem to completely miss the fact that he is setting up the likes of PJ and Covington for wide open shots.

If Harden would play for a team with a true second star and skilled offensive players who can actually shoot and some what create for themselves he would be a nightmare on offense. Instead he is seeing constant double teams and teams clogging the paint so he can't drive because they don't really respect the poor shooting of Harden's teammates.

Tfor3 and HP3 like this.
  8. swedish-olajuwon

For sure, and just look at LeBron last year when he did not have the "right" teammates, the dude wasn't even playing and his team missed the playoffs. And that Lakers team had more talent then what Houston got now.

Cheap ass Tillman ruining the team and only signing released players or G-leagues like McLemore, Chandler, House, Clemons, Rivers, Carroll, Bruno abd Sefolosha and people don't see why Houston can't beat a team with 2 superstars and great role players while Harden himself is getting constant double teams because the Lakers don't respect the rest of the Rockets squad.

9. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

He doesn’t show aggression in big games and that’s a big problem. However, ever since that spurs game, he’s always ALWAYS produced. He might not shoot well, but he will find a way to produce. I find it hard to blame him when he is getting trapped every time down. It’s on the coaching staff and the team to capitalize on the space, isn’t it?

don grahamleone and HP3 like this.
  10. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

He can definitely lead his team more by showing some vigor in games, and perhaps getting the ball back quicker.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I understand it though, y'all. I agree we just have to appreciate who he is, a unique and crafty talent like nothing else I've seen anyway. But in the playoffs and 4th quarters of playoff games, and in elimination games (so far), he has some non-superstar material. This happened when he went to the finals with OKC, we shouldn't forget.

When the intensity increases, the greats overcome that intensity and are even more superior to the competition. (Like Hakeem.) But that's super, super rare. James is not that guy. He needs a really solid team.

He is who he is, and he's amazing, but he doesn't seem to be destined for Jordan or Hakeem level playoff greatness. That gear is not there, but we can appreciate him as long as he's here, and we can beg the owner to bring more pieces in. (Even though we have no picks, etc. Sigh.)

If we want a title, I'm totally sympathetic to those who want to blow it up. It's sad, but we might have enough data now.

I'll still be rooting for them like crazy tomorrow night.

12. swedish-olajuwon

I don't really buy the "aggression" thing no more.
    He is not LeBron or Giannis, he can't just put his head down and run through people while getting awarded with FT's.

If one would see what the Lakers are doing this series is that they doubling Harden constantly because they don't respect Westbrook's shooting at all, and as soon as he drives you'll see that one Laker player will stand just outside the paint waiting for Harden to come so they can get awarded with cheap charge calls. So what people are talking about is them wanting him to put his head down and bull rush in to the paint when Lakers are standing there and waiting for a charge call.

HP3 likes this.
  13. swedish-olajuwon

I am the biggest Hakeem fan but Hakeem was in the same spot as Harden after the '86 finals. He was putting up great stats in the playoffs, heck, Olajuwon has the highest playoff scoring average among centers in NBA history but due to having mediocre teammates he could mainly put up great stats without winning. The same thing they are saying about Harden now, that was what they were saying about Hakeem before he won in '94 and '95.

Landsdale, Patience and B-Bob like this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That's fair, to a degree. But rewatch those fourth quarters, and seriously rewatch the fourth quarters of this year and last.

I remember when Hakeem had a regular-reason where he said he was injured and the Rox org just thought he was lazy, and there was so much doubt and bad press. But I never remember that guy as anything but focassed in a playoff game. Maybe I'm forgetting a lemon here or there, or a game he seemed kind of mellow.

mastan and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Great post.

This summarizes how I feel about Harden. You appreciate his greatness and accept his limitations.

16. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

this is where I am right now. I hope to be proven wrong and I’ve been obnoxiously declaring a rockets comeback to anyone who’ll listen in my life, but at this point we’ll need a different harden than we’ve seen to date.

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I'm sorry but you are just plain wrong. Hakeem ALWAYS elevated his play in the playoffs relative to his regular season. It just so happens that starting in 1993, the team started to gell with better free agents and draft picks.

Had management surrounded Hakeem with a better supporting cast from 1987 through 1992, Hakeem might have won 2 more rings.

roslolian and BaselineFade like this.
  18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Let's not rewrite history. Chris Paul was the heart and soul of that team.

Jontro and PeterKingX like this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Harden is great. However, my fondest memory of the Harden era postseason was the comeback game against the Clippers.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

No. Hakeem didn’t shrink in the playoffs like Harden. Stop.