1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...nt-pat-oconner-retires-amid-contraction-talks

Sure seems like MiLB is admitting defeat. My prediction would be that negotiations would turn toward MLB trying to buy all the teams they want to keep, with the rest getting left out in the cold. Will be very interested to see what happens to Round Rock and San Antonio.

Maybe there’s a compromise where the teams that MLB doesn’t want are given a 2-3 year grace period where teams that want to can sign additional players to staff those teams can do so, allowing those teams to transition to heavily scouted independent league teams. I wouldn’t consider that likely.

#401 Snake Diggit, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hope I’m not spamming this thread. Just bored.

SS Jeremy Pena and C Korey Lee have been added to the 60 man player pool.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I listened to all but 2 episodes of the Woodpeckers podcast. It was pretty disappointing, very little information or insight, just a lot of 15 minute interviews filled with platitudes. Only a couple notes:

RHP Cody Deason had Tommy John surgery this offseason.

OF Matthew Barefoot was viewed as a pitcher coming out of high school (lefty who was above 90 with his fb). He went to Campbell because they said he could play OF. Houston drafted him because they had Trackman data on him due to Campbell playing in the same stadium as Houstons high A affiliate that year.

OF Jordan Brewer seemed like a really cool person. Had knee surgery and would have missed this season anyway.

OF Jake Meyers was a weekend SP for Nebraska.

Colton Shaver was a catcher all thru hs and college. (He looked very overweight in a clip I saw of him in corpus this year.)

Listened to interviews with Grae Kessinger, David Hensley, JP France, Mike Papierski, Shawn Dubin, Jeremy Pena, Meyers, Brewer, Deason, Shaver, and Barefoot, and those were the only things I found notable.

#403 Snake Diggit, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  4. Screaming Fist

So they decided not to add Ivey to the 60 man pool because of his positive COVID test earlier this summer? Seems odd as he could be useful right about now on the big league club.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Sounds like he was legitimately sick, so between the positive test and the recovery, he may just now be getting back to full strength. Considering he is Rule 5 eligible in December I am surprised he wasn’t added. Was expecting Ivey, Jairo Solis, and Jose Alberto Rivera to be added so they could see how they fared in the alternate site to inform their Rule 5 decisions.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, it appears that the Astros (and baseball in general) did not really have their heart in this season.

Between the media frenzy towards the Astros, the loss of the architect of the team and the coach and both Nolan leaving the decision makers are different. Then the Astros lost Cole and half their bullpen and didn't make any major moves under the circumstances..... then you have COVID and it became clear that the owners did not really want to play....... the players only seem partially interested and the level of competition is poor without spring training and the normal routine..... you have MLB more interested in destroying the minor league system so they can make more money.... and you have the players and owners gearing up for the next labor stoppage...... I mean we are play 7 inning double headers, teams deciding not to even play some games.... pitching injuries.... a truncated season and a joke of a trade deadline.

I know they will crown a World Series champion this year but this isn't REAL baseball. Just try to enjoy it and look for the good stories that emerge.

7. Screaming Fist

I read that he was sick for about a week in early June. Maybe they are just being super cautious but it seems a little odd.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Screaming Fist

This is true and why I haven't really been that upset by the teams' struggles this season. It does suck though that George is likely going out on this farce of a season. Also, I hope that Click will not be as passive in the future as he seems to have been this season.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The regular season results have been watered down, such we won't know who the best team is this year. The World Series Champion this year will win a tournament in October (mostly) like previous World Series Champions. Not sure why the World Series Champion this year should be viewed differently than previous years.

#409 Joe Joe, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  10. Buck Turgidson

Are people just now figuring this out?

11. Buck Turgidson

Really?

jiggyfly, HTown2017Champs and Nook like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

It hit home for me when the owners didn’t want to play any games.

desihooper likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep, the World Series Champ still has to win the World Series. The World Series hasn't been about determining the best team since 1968.

14. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It could work out to where Crane pays JV $66MM for one start in 2 years. No wonder they were hesitant to play games with all that injury risk and no potential for revenue from gate/concessions.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Absolutely it could, and things like that happen all the time.... players get hurt or under perform their contract.

I also understand that the owners were apprehensive, but they did bargained with the players for the rules.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is incorrect. The owners are greedy and prefer money. The owners were perfectly willing to have games played with reduced player salaries so they could make a lot of money of playoffs. Only problem was the players like money, too.

17. Nook

Nook Member

That is technically true. The owners did not want to abide by the CBA and pay the players according to the CBA. The point being the owners really did not want to play this season under the rules they bargained for.

No one's heart is really in this season. There are concerns outside of baseball, the training schedule is complete off....... I compare this season to some of the seasons during WWI and WW2.... it will count in the record book, there will be a champion but it doesn't mean as much as a regular season.

HTown2017Champs and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is incorrect. The owners and players agreed on rules in March for the season to start. The metrics required for the season to start and for the players to receive full salary were not met such that additional negotiations would be needed. The players union was informed prior to signing agreement that if fans couldn't come to games, pro-rated salaries would be needed prior to resuming games.

If anything, the owners are in violation of the March Agreement by forcing the players to play games or opt out since the rules to start the season were not met. Though, considering the players were trying to get the owners to play more games without pro-rating salaries in negotiations, I doubt they would win much in a grievance for the owners being the ones that want games to be played.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Does being the top pitching prospect in CC while there are 16 rookies that played in Houston put him at #17 overall?

Snake Diggit likes this.