1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TED Talk

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by raj87, Aug 30, 2020.

1. raj87

raj87 Member

I do believe Kyle Tucker has figured it out. The adjustment he made with keeping back on the ball seems to have worked well. Blum keeps mentioning it on the broadcasts.

His recent performance is certainly offsetting the loss of Alvarez.

Anyway, TED:

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If Alvarez was healthy, you sit Reddick I guess? Can Reddick play 2nd? :rolleyes:

3. raj87

raj87 Member

Reddick likely won’t be here next year when Alvarez returns. And who knows if Brantley and Springer are back.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tucker has cut his Ks by 75% such that instead of getting 6 Ks for every walk, he's now getting 2 Ks for every 3 walks.

As a result, he's just getting a lot more batted balls, and he's in a good run of elevating them.

I expect he will go hot and cold on elevating pitches, but the command of strike zone is what interests me. That usually doesn't have as big a swing in hot and cold streaks.

#4 Joe Joe, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Nook and everyday eddie like this.
  5. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Kyle Tucker is actually a star player than can give 3 - 5 WAR a season over the next 4 years, that is absolutely massive for the future of this team. I think it's the difference between having to think about rebuilding after Brantley/Springer leave to thinking about reloading and keeping the team all-in for much longer.

Snake Diggit and raj87 like this.
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

Thank you for hosting this TED talk

conquistador#11 and raj87 like this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

(Un)fortunately they don't have to worry about that.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I don't know why y'all were worried about Teddy Triple. In his career, he has just over a half season worth of at Bats. He just needed consistent at Bats, every day.

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

The 2 things he said he worked on, that helped him, were

- thinking about middle to lcf (and thus letting the ball get farther in, i.e. no more early swings and ripped grounders to the right side)

- not swinging at shitty pitches he can only hit into the shift

It's amazing how little things like that can help

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's still pulling the ball more than any other starter except Hook Monster going from 55% pull down to 52% pull. I'd say it is almost all plate discipline, confidence, and a metric ton of less bad luck.

Nook likes this.
  11. Major

Major Member

Remember all the people who had seen enough of him after 100 or so ABs in 2018 and 2019 to know that he would never be a good MLB player?

King1 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I know hes having a ok season, but here hoping the guys get back to normal. It has been a very slow stat jump offensively. Thou Gurriell and Correa have been doing alot of the dirty work. Thou tucker has been hitting some nice bombs. Its been good to see them win few here, they started out there looking like they were gonna slump bad. Tucker very well is a bright spot now in Houston lineup.

13. Nook

Nook Member

I agree that he will be a guy that likely always has hot and cold spells.

The command of the strike zone AND ability to read pitches has always been my issue with Tucker.... the rest of it is there to be very good, if not better.

14. Buck Turgidson

You could listen to what the ted says, he may not know what he's doing though.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I will admit I had serious concerns about his command of the strike zone and pitch recognition. He just wasn't good at it. He was very poor the first time up with any real at bats. He did show some improvement through hot streaks last year. Even at the start of this year he wasn't recognizing the strike zone.

I know Luhnow a handful of years ago said with Tucker it is all about confidence as he can get down on himself.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

"If you believe you’re playing well because you’re getting laid or because you’re not getting laid or because you wear women’s underwear, then you are. And you should know that!"

RustyHarden, Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Large concerns.

Nook likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Rose goes in the front, big guy

Joe Joe likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think that walk off homer helped him tremendously with confidence