1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Kenosha police shoots black man multiple times in his back in front of his children, declares curfew

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 23, 2020.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

A case of not good enough cops to handle the situation unfortunately nothing more

2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Any person (I assume 99% at least) of the people on this message board would obey a cop's command, especially if they have their weapons drawn. What would a reasonable person do? Not what the suspect did. If a guy is disobeying commands then reaches into a vehicle I can't fathom how a different outcome could be expected. Police have a duty to protect the public as well as themselves. You cannot have a police force that allows someone to take a weapon out of a vehicle and deploy it. Ideally they could've tackled him or subdued him some other way, but the suspect's actions can't be ignored just because of the current political climate

3. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

F- your guilt trip, bro.

You know what's bullshit? You won't even bring yourself to denounce the second video. Sicko.

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe he was attempting suicide by cops due to the charges he was facing. This is a payday he wouldn't be able to provide. Hopefully he survives for his children.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thought of that after I hit submit. Hopefully he doesn't die. Or be paralyzed.

Attempted murder then.

No, even one shot was not warranted. They had non-lethal options. It isn't quite George Floyd levels, but pretty close.

Which people do you mean? And in what way? What it tells me is that there is more pain and desperation than is being acknowledged, and that we can expect more lashing out if we don't address their grievances.

RayRay10 and DVauthrin like this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

*premediated* killing is murder

So, you think that cop waited for him to do something that give him an excuse to shot him?

Could it be that he's just working from a habitual place, grounded in policing culture of fear and societal bias toward blacks?

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, I don’t think they should have shot him. They shouldn’t have let him leisurely walk to his car, open the door and attempt to get in.

They could have easily tackled him and subdued him and they did not.

RayRay10 and DVauthrin like this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So I googled. Under Wisconsin law, if Jacob Blake dies, I think the appropriate charge would be second-degree intentional homicide. Specifically for using excessive force for self-defense. Premeditation doesn't look to be a requirement, only the intent to kill. Looks like Wisconsin only uses "murder" for homicides committed during other felonies.

https://www.crooks-law.com/murder-homicide-charge-differences/

jiggyfly, Amiga and RayRay10 like this.
  9. CCorn

CCorn Member

3 cops 1 person. Anyone defending the cops are cowards too. No way they couldn’t have subdued him.

RayRay10 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not expressing cop sympathy but just in analyzing what happened, I actually wonder if one reason they didn't tackle him was exactly because of all the films of police gang tackling and cuffing people with bad consequences. That wouldn't be a professional decision but I do wonder if they didn't want to end up on youtube for the next six months. If that's the case, they didn't think it through to "but if he walks around to the door and..." Now they'll be on youtube a very long time.

Just horrible. Based on the medical description, I don't expect this man to survive. Or if he does, it won't be any kind of life he recognizes.

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and Astrodome like this.
  11. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Oh they subdued him alright.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There are claims on the internet that he might've been holding a knife. That would not make any sense unless he had a deathwish. Now I haven't seen any indication they found one, but the idea is out there.

Better supply one and sprinkle some crack over him...

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree he should've stopped but I'm not clear at all if they had tazed him and even if it didn't work why didn't another LEO try to taze him or subdue him right away by restraining him? Why does he look so calm walking at normal speed around his car with LE having guns drawn on him? I haven't heard any audio so no idea what orders were given or if he was trying to explain what he was doing. Is it possible that orders weren't clear or some misunderstanding between Blake and the LEO?

What it looks like to me is the LEO had already decided lethal force was needed well before Blake was actually shot. You don't draw your firearm and aim unless you feel there is a very strong likelihood you'll have to use it.

All of this seems very odd to me.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Over and over it seems like some cops don't have a memorized checklist for what to do if someone doesn't follow orders. Otherwise, I don't see how guns get nervously drawn so often. It's like a default for "citizen not doing what I asked him to do" when I'd think there should be several steps in between, including repeating yourself 10 billion times, even if it tries your patience.

I've mentioned before that long ago when I was a kid, two HPD officers drew their weapons on me. I was unarmed (and white) so I survived. But even though I was an odd kid (RLY? rly), it always struck me as an incredible over-reaction on their part.

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and DVauthrin like this.
  15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't quit thinking about those poor kids seeing this happen right before their eyes. What a traumatic thing for any child to go through. My heart goes out to them. No kids should have to experience anything like this.

I feel so lucky to have had a childhood where I didn't have to experience violence, depend on my school to feed me, or not feel safe in my own home.

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Should people comply when a police officer gives you a direct order? Yes, and Blake was wrong for not doing so. However, that doesn’t mean you shoot him seven times in the back, and every cop involved in this incident should be fired and be convicted of criminal charges for their part in paralyzing Blake.

I’m sick and ****ing tired of some police officers’ mindset they are above the laws they were hired to enforce and they are better than the average citizen. It’s time to stop putting the profession on a pedestal and let them know loud and clear that they are no different than anyone else. And, yes, officers like this are ruining it for good police officers around the country.

If three police officers can’t subdue one suspect, then they aren’t in good enough physical condition to work a beat and should be stuck on desk duty until they meet certain physical fitness criteria.

#116 DVauthrin, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    deb4rockets, RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is speculation on my part but just trying to understand what happened.
    What if it's like Philando Castile. The LEO taze Blake, he doesn't go down but is enough pain and tells the LE he's not resisting and surrendering but he needs to take the keys out of his car because his kids are inside and he doesn't want something to happen like the kids start the car. The LEO fear he's going to go for a weapon in the car so they draw their guns and keep them on them. The LE let don't specifically tell him to stop but keep their guns on him as he walks around the car. When he opens the door and reaches in the LEO directly behind doesn't have a good view of where Blake is reaching. Grabs Blake and Blake shakes him off as we see in the video. The LEO assumes Blake is going for a weapon and opens fire.

RayRay10 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

When I was in grad school I lived in a duplex. My neighbor had called LE regarding that her roommate was acting very odd and might be a danger to herself or others. As they started their search of the duplex I happened to open my door into the shared foyer and they pulled their firearms and turned on me. My hands shot up right away and they lowered their weapons before they even aimed at me but it was a scary experience.

deb4rockets, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  19. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Tackle after he reaches into the car or before then?

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

They could have tackled him well before he ever got to the car door on the opposite side. There are two following him and a third officer was on the scene, yet, instead of bull rushing him and getting him to the ground, the two following Blake simply walk around with him pointing their guns. It’s not like Blake was running, either.

If I didn’t know better, it almost looks like they were hoping Blake would reach for a weapon so they could shoot him.

#120 DVauthrin, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Nook and RayRay10 like this.