1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

League fires Rockets/NBA photographer, removes him from the Bubble

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Nook

Nook Member

He really should have known better.

I do not like seeing people lose their jobs, especially when he has been doing the same thing forever.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Lol , people will yada yada about cancel culture , but the dude has to have a bit more sense. Its not like if he sent in an PM to a friend then he would be receiving the same punishment.

Now granted, hes a ****ing photographer. Im not sure why anyone gives a **** what he says. Its not like he's got an official houston rockets twitter account. Its not like this guy is an official face of the houston rockets. I mean how many twitter followers does this guy have anyways ? or has he been gaining a big following from posting exclusive bubble pictures on his account , in that case he DOES have a responsibility to keep his personal **** to himself.

I like his statement ( paraphrasing ) That meme in now way represents my own view .... then why'd ya share it dude.

Are people just so conditioned to give a little chuckle and then " huh i guess ill click share all ... uh duh. "

At first i wasnt gonna overreact to this , but we are full on ****ed Idiocracy style.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

idiots always get caught slippin on FB

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Bye, won't miss you.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Good... maybe this will cause people to stop partaking in social media to comment/share thoughts on politics... then social media will no longer be a propaganda-machine that some politicians actually rely on... then maybe the news will stop outright lying/pandering to one side vs. the other simply for ratings/clicks...

These are all pipe dreams but the more this happens, the more it can potentially shape behavior.

fryjol7, BigM, rgw20014life and 13 others like this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

His apology is lame. He might as well own up to it. No one shares unless that's what they actually feel lol.

People may be tired of the "cancel culture" but I am sick and tired of people that don't own up to their **** and make some lame excuse of an apology.

cbass, fryjol7, dobro1229 and 19 others like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What on earth was he thinking.

9. 523744

523744 Member

Cancelled. Next

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Talented obviously, will miss his work, but that was insipid thing to do.

11. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

This is wrong when it happens to conservatives and it's wrong when it happens to liberals too. Private companies need to be restricted from firing employees for speech outside outside of work, and particularly political speech. It's disgusting and completely antiethical to american values.

Who cares if his "judgment was poor"? He's not paid for that, he's paid to take pictures.

Lurch, fattz, pantherheat32 and 3 others like this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I nominate 99'er @Bailey to take this jabroni's place.

Jontro likes this.
  13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's not political speech, it's calling her a w****. There's a difference.

I do agree that it can be overdone, but in this particular case, there's a distinct line that he crossed, IMO. Say whatever you want about the politics, but he didn't need to go to that level of personal.

cbass, fryjol7, KingCheetah and 20 others like this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He is free to say whatever he wants, and the NBA is free to employ whomever they want.

Freedom is great, isn't it.

RocketOrg, cbass, dobro1229 and 18 others like this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He has yee'd his last haw.

Seems like a stupid thing be fired over, but at the same time the NBA is not going to let a photographer bring bad rep on the company. The NBA doesn't support it's employee calling the first women VP a hoe, so that's that.

16. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

this is beyond wrong, it makes no sense. . Under your proposed standard, a CEO of a Fortune 500 company can post racist drivel or political views on personal social media and the company shouldn’t be allowed to terminate? Yes, that’s exactly what you’re saying.

But you meant regular employees, not executives? . Well, most states are “at will” employment states and employees can be fired for any reason so long as it doesn’t violate employment discrimination laws, like firing someone for their age, race, gender etc).

The reality is that companies employ people because they want to, and they stop wanting to if you do things with which they don’t want to be associated. So long as the company does not violate employment laws, they can fire you. In fact, I would argue that they have a duty to their shareholders to protect the company and its reputation, and if you do something on your personal social media that could hurt the rep of the company, they better consider all options including termination.

(Baptist was an independent contractor and they definitely can be let go (contract terminated) for any reason that doesn’t violate the contract.)

cbass, lnchan, hashmander and 7 others like this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

10$ says he is working with them again next year.

He is what we think he is.

Another reason to disrespect Houston......

Rocket River.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'll take that bet. Check back here in a year.

Invisible Fan, topfive and D-rock like this.
  20. illadelphiah

illadelphiah Member

!remindme one year