1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Scrubington

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Asian Sensation, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Asian Sensation

Dude was brought here to be a “3 and D” player but mainly to be a knockdown 3pt shooter. I see some solid defense at times but I feel like the majority of this board lauds his defense to mask his shooting.

Since the bubble he’s shot 12-52 that’s a pathetic 23% on ultra high volume. Clint could’ve made at least 13 on 52. On the season he’s 31%. That is WAY below the league average. Of course there’s gonna be the usual apologists that will defend Robert. Listen, I like him too but I just can’t ignore those numbers.

Especially not with the playoffs about to start, not when we traded our young legit center, not when we lost any resemblance of balanced basketball and tried reinventing the wheel with the wrong ******* personnel. Not like this man. He better get it together asap.

BigShasta, tinman, BasketMAD and 13 others like this.
  2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You're not wrong about his shooting but I don't think he was ever meant to be a knockdown shooter. He's not a 40% guy. He was supposed to be a guy who came in to be an elite defender, can guard every position, and is also a passable 3 point shooter. I expected him to be around 35%. His defense has been as good as advertised, if you look at the on/off numbers with him, and especially with him and Tucker on the court at the same time, the defense is really really good.

But again, you are right about the shooting. If he continues to shoot below 25% we're screwed.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We have built our entire team on IFFY 3pt shooters, we don't have a single one that is elite. the closest we have is Ben McLemore - we have a bunch of high volume AVERAGE at best 3pt shooters.....

It is staggering to me that we don't have anyone shooting 40+% or more - I mean if you are trying to be 3 and layups......you have to be able to shoot the 3....

Too many in the 30-34% range.

DD

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Asian r****dation

Blurr#7 likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

“solid defense at times”...yeah, no...don’t undersell what he does on that end

yeah, his shooting has been sh*t...maybe it continues like it has for that scrub EG, or maybe he progresses to his averages

again with the crying for Clint...the same Clint CF was calling a p***y every postseason...the same Clint people said could be replaced by the likes of McGee :rolleyes:

gimme a break...

Is he still rehabbing his injury?

Louka, cbass, Mr. Dominant and 13 others like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

haters gonna hate

cbass, DreamShook, HP3 and 4 others like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh hell nah. @RudyTBag someone trying to put smut on RoCo's name. you first or me lol

8. harold bingo

Supporting Member

What's staggering to me is how quickly you forget about Ryan Anderson. Elite shooters are almost always really bad on defense. Elite shooters who are good at defense are all stars. They make 20+ million in salary. Do you really think this team would be better off if we switched out our Covingtons and Tuckers for Ryan Anderson/JJ Redick type players?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think it would be great to have ONE elite 3pt shooter that we could put in the game when we need to up our efficiency yes.....

DD

payaso and ashleyem like this.
  10. harold bingo

Supporting Member

In game 7 against the warriors Houston brought in Ryan Anderson for 8 minutes and he was a -12. The rockets lost the game by 9. So I can't really agree with this suggestion.

tmacman, cbass, lilbird20 and 12 others like this.
  11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ariza 2.0. Super disruptive defender, bad shooter. But this team needed an Ariza 2.0.

It's Gordon and Westbrook that need to find their offense in the bubble. Their improvement will have way more impact.

Regardless, it would be nice if PJ and Covington learned how to shoot.

12. Asian Sensation

I don’t think Covington would be shooting as bad as he is if he wasn’t trying to play PF/C while weighing 210 pounds. He didn’t shoot that bad when he wasn’t trying to do Embiid or Kat’s job.

It would be like the Heat deciding to go full you know what and trading Bam and deciding to move Duncan Robinson to play PF alongside Crowder as the Center. There’s no way Duncan shoots 44% from 3 in that scenario. That’s why this small ball **** is a dumb ****ing idea especially with our personnel.

lilbird20, kjayp, studogg and 3 others like this.
  13. harold bingo

Supporting Member

This is a fair criticism, a lot of people have said this about small ball. It's maybe (probably) why Kerr used it as seldomly as he did with the warriors, despite their small ball lineup having a net rating of like 30 or whatever ridiculous number it was. I hope you're wrong, we'll see how he does in the playoffs.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

BMac

Dumbass

cato13 likes this.
  15. Asian Sensation

As a Rockets fan I hope I’m wrong too.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

there is absolutely no chance a player that undersized guarding huge guys all game is going to have the legs to be a 40% shooter.

Covington is the second most important player on this team and you are all wrong.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

He’s all nba defensive first team. Don’t even bother arguing. This board always turns on its players that play too many minutes.

Same happened with Ariza, will happen again with Tucker.

The answer is they are really great role players who are often too tired to be their best.

Hopefully Moute can give us 15 minutes, would help a lot. Covington

Our micro ball offense is incredible. Anyone who thinks they could have squeezed out more offense out of this roster than MDA is full of sh*t IMO.

They know exactly what they’re doing. The Rockets aim to achieve 34% on 3’s at a high volume. It’s not a mistake, it’s a target. All our percentages would be higher if we reduced our volume to the level of other teams. Stop whining about percentages, this organization found better winning stats long ago.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Was this supposed to be a parody?

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

[​IMG]

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Oh and on behalf of Robert Covington, F you for this thread title while the team prepares to go into playoff battle. WTH dude.