1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justin Verlander shut down 'a couple of weeks' with forearm strain

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Jul 26, 2020.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

You strike me as the kind of guy that believes they cheated last year even though they were cleared, just like PhiSlammaJamma.

It's a weird season with no ST. Them struggling right now doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things as much as the haters on social media would want you to believe.

arkoe, raining threes, King1 and 4 others like this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Why the Straw Man though?? It was clear in the report that they didnt cheat last year .. they played most of the year without all of the "attention" until the report was public. Had a great year. A bonehead pitching change by Hinch probably cost them another championship in which NO DOUBT regardless of how you, I or anyone involved feels, it would still have been criticized. Its what happens when you become the patsy.

raining threes likes this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

2019 team was not exactly lacking in offense... and neither was the 2016 team.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

True. Point?

Im waiting for them to start hitting like they did in those years. Thank goodness for Brantley and Correa so far. Everyone else is a collective .200 (if that).

So these guys are this bad because of no spring training - you gonna die on that hill too?

5. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Yuli and Josh are hitting okay as well. Springer was getting hot before he went on the DL.
    That's not all correct - Josh and Yuli are hitting okay and Springer was heating up before he went out.

TWS1986 likes this.
  6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

It's been a couple of weeks now. Is there an official update on Verlander or what?

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

[August 8] Astros' Dusty Baker: Justin Verlander not progressing quickly

Astros ace Justin Verlander is “not progressing as quickly as he’d like” during his recovery from a forearm strain, Astros manager Dusty Baker said on Saturday.

Two people with knowledge of the situation told The Chronicle that Verlander will not pitch again this season with an elbow injury. On July 26, Verlander called the report “not accurate,” but has not spoken about his prognosis or injury since then.

“Verlander, to my knowledge, is not progressing as quickly as he’d like to,” Baker said on Saturday after a long pause. “But does he ever? Verlander wanted to pitch yesterday.”

Since the Chronicle’s initial report on July 26, Baker and general manager James Click have said Verlander will be shut down from throwing for “a few weeks” before being reevaluated.

Baker’s spoken numerous times during this road trip about “reinforcements” arriving to help the Astros at some point this season. He’s mentioned, by name, designated hitter Yordan Alvarez, utilityman Aledmys Diaz and righthander Jose Urquidy — all of whom are rehabilitating at the Astros’ alternate training site in Corpus Christi

Baker has never grouped Verlander, the reigning American League Cy Young winner, in that number of “reinforcements.”

The team has termed Verlander’s injury a “right forearm strain,” In an interview with USA Today last week, owner Jim Crane acknowledged Verlander’s injury was elbow-related and even hinted that Tommy John surgery is possible for the 37-year-old righthander.

"He’s hopeful, so we’ll see,” Crane told the newspaper. “But you never know with these elbows. It could be a slight tear. It could be a strain. But if he had to have Tommy John, and I don’t think that’s anywhere near clear yet, he wouldn’t be back until 2022.”

#207 J.R., Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  8. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Excellent. I'll pencil him in for the first spot in the rotation.

9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

10. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

“Excellent progress”

11. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I will believe it when I see it.
    But........
    What if we get Verlander, Peacock, Diaz, Alvarez, and Urquidi back. The dynamic of the season sure changes when we get to the homestretch.

12. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

According to Dusty we "should" be getting most of them back with the exception of JV and Peacock who are the unknowns. Peacock with that same shoudler issue again I can see not coming back. Capt Obvious says if JV can he'll want to come out of the pen and boy could we use that in the playoffs.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Hoping Urquidy is sooner than later. Going to need a few starts to shake off the rust. And his sample size is not large going to last year. So again I have no idea how this season is going to shake out. Yordan had gimpy knees in the original spring training. So I'm not sure with that either.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

it’s not even a certain Osuna can’t come back in 2020 if rest and rehab cure his elbow. Need JV & Alvarez too win it all. Urquidy, Peacock, Smith, Pruitt, etc would give the Astros a loaded staff top to bottom with all the emerging rookies.

Pringles likes this.
  15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They've said it depends on what role. I think it's worth the little extra time to have him as a starter but he can be back sooner as a reliever. Maybe he becomes the closer for the rest of this season.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this reminds me of Correa's back injury season

believe it when I see it

King1 and TWS1986 like this.
  17. phasors28

phasors28 Member

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Well there is some worthwhile inside reporting. So glad those guys feel "very good". I am so much more informed now o_O

RayRay10 and htwnbandit like this.
  19. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Wow, this is some "very good" news!

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am very good, are you very good?