1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is a few minutes of another big too much to ask?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Aug 5, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Remember the majority of this board though Joe Chee was going to lock down Kevin Durant.

Both Chee and Hartenstein are gone

This pretty much says how much they think about developing bigs

hakeem94 and amaru like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

That was only Jopat.

Majority is an overexaggeration, at best.

And don't act like you are sad to see Qi go. You used to belittle him every chance you got.

#42 D-rock, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    ElPigto likes this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Seriously. Imagine Chandler getting switched onto Lillard or McCollum. Oh, the humanity.

Reeko and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

In a perfect world this would be our starting 5 and their backups:

Brodie, Rivers/McLemore
    Beard, EGo
    RoCo, House
    PJ, Luc
    Uncle Jeff, Bruno

Starters and backups are balanced offensively (multiple ball handlers, 3ball shooting, drivers, rollers) & defensively (long/thicc, athletic, switchable, disruptive).

If someone is cold, then the backup plays more minutes. Instead of starters always playing at end of game.

But no way we get an 11 man rotation unfortunately.

5. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I will always root for my Rockets, but I don't see this small ball going anywhere. I really hope I'm wrong.

Someone posted the stat of 2nd chance points for Portland, but the point total doesn't tell it all. When we play good defense but consistently give up offensive rebounds, that's not good. Even if the team doesn't score, it's taking possessions away from us. Then on top of that we are fouling and giving them free throws, and putting our guys in foul trouble. We just better hope we start making 40% of the 60+ 3's we keep shooting.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

It was just 1 loss.

A close one at that.

rocketsmetalspd likes this.
  7. rocketsmetalspd

Only gripe I have is once again like every Dantoni team, he forgets he has more than 8 players. I can't believe he continues this nonsense. At least play 10 and get some rest for key players to be fresher down the road like the the Playoffs.

bballjunkie likes this.
  8. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I really enjoyed watching that second unit run without Harden or Russ.

9. amaru

amaru Member

Would it really be that much worse than McLemore being switched on them? Lol

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

How could you even tell? That guy is just terrible at sarcasm. Some people actually want more playing time for centers for more rebounds. It's even the basis of this thread. The conventional wisdom is that smallball can't work and that someone like Clint Capela would help on the boards. People think he's being earnest because that's a common argument.

That attempt at sarcasm is basically this:

"Houston shoots too many threes! You can't win a championship that way, they should post up more. They need a center."
    "Golden State just won several without a post up big."
    "I was being sarcastic! Read more carefully!"

11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

No dumb is not being able to spell the word “two”. Three point shots are typically harder to make in the playoffs, so don’t expect Green, Tucker, and House to light it up with the tougher playoff defense and pressure. Harden is noticeably not as good on offense the more he gets worn down on defense having to work his arse off defending much bigger players. This board is much like the far left liberals, you say anything contrary to the popular small ball and you are labeled a Rockets hater. Imagine if the Rockets had benched their center in 93-94 to open up lanes for Maxwell and Smith....doubt they win back to back titles.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Conventional wisdom is an idiom.

Wisdom by definition is not conventional.

Wisdom is a deep understanding of a subject.

Conventional means general understanding on a subject.

General understanding does not connote wisdom.

Just like no one wants to accept the fact that rebounds do not equal more possessions. If a player gets 5 rebounds on one play it still counts as 2 pts.

Rockets are embracing creating more possessions via turnovers (steals, deflections, blocks).

The old adage to win rebound battle has been proven to have no merit.

Embrace advanced analytics and Moreyball.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm on board with smallball, I'm not on board with bad humor.

Morey's sarcasm works because he points out the ridiculousness of wanting to take harder shots for fewer points. Morey lampoons the criticism, while RussNinetyFour just parrots the criticism.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Dantoni is going to read this post and going to replace Green with Clemons just to spite you.

15. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Ok so you comparing "two" different eras. And I see lot more people on this forum saying small ball is bad..idk what you been reading. AND AGAIN WE DIDNT LOSE CAUSE WE WAS SMALL. also the best lineup in history was the death lineup in Golden State. So im trying to see where these big teams been winning in this Era. N no 3 point shots aren't harder to make in the playoffs lmao. Its the same damn shot.

And again this small ball team was one hamstring away from a ring. Yall remind me of the old trump get off my lawn right wingers. The old good old boys...the way it was lol.

And the noticeably not as good harden. Number 2 in points per game:31 mind you...Durant 32 last year. So yes you are dumb. You just parrot what the media tells you instead of doing your own research. I can give 2 ***** if a guys drop off is as good as the bests guys increase lol. So he aint superman in the playoffs he batman,( still better then almost everyone else)...ahhh ok.

D-rock likes this.
  16. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

now if you want some real analysis I'll give it to you.
    ***Rockets arent honna play a traditional center this year...get over it. Now with that out the way heres what I see.

1.start Jeff Green. versatile(can dribble, pass,and shoot)

2. You don't abandon your system cause of a couple loses. You trust it. U do it better harder faster

2. Rebounding is not just about height. Stop equating the two....how bout we box out better. Thats what I'm seeing. Nothing to do with height its will n technique.

3. Work on communication on defense n technique. Not getting turnt around squaring your hips etc.

4. Just make your wide open shots. All I ask for is for my offense to generate open looks. Hit or miss thata the right play.

D-rock likes this.
  17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Ding ding ding...didn't read this before I comment on dudes post. Like I never understood these..get off my lawn guys. Every damn tram in the nba launches a crazy amount of 3s...i mean isn't that proof, that morey is right. I mean. Its simple math. N I'm a actually hopper n I understand this. N I repeat...no one is saying dont get lay up n what not. Its long mid range shots.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. Turn ballhandlers when on defense. The more often you have ball handler with back to basket the more opportunity to generate a turnover. At minimum the offense slows down.

mike2k132 likes this.
  19. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Exactly its way more things to do then just scream at every lose...we need a 7 footer lol. Like were are those same people when we beat the lakers or the jazz or the bucks lol. If u can do it once its possible.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Is MDA still an idiot for not giving the corpse of Tyson Chandler minutes?

D-rock likes this.