1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hartenstein / Chandler end of Dallas game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jake Stewart, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

It was the end of the 4Q just a few seconds left, and Seth Curry was shooting free throws, If he made it or missed it and we rebounded the Rockets we’re calling a timeout to advance the ball.

In that situation how does it not make sense to put Hartenstein & Chandler in to secure the rebound in case it’s a missed free throw? It just makes no sense not to do this. Yes I know Hartenstein isn’t on the team but right there is a reason he should have been kept.

2. sheb

sheb Member

Something like this happened a bit ago with Dwight Howard. He was in to rebound, and as soon as the shooter released the free throw the guy next to him jumped on him purposely.

It was a team foul and Dwight had free throws.

Dunno if a rule was implemented to change this, but we def don’t want chandler on the line shooting free throws

3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Yes I thought about that too. Chandler should absolutely be in the game for that last rebound.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Securing rebounds from a free throw is 99% a matter of positioning and maneuvering. Put the 5 best FT shooters in the game if you ask me. They will all be good at hitting a short jumper. If they’re good at free throws, their form is good, so they’re disciplined, so they will position themselves well for rebounds.

Unless you have a Shaq, then you have to. A Chandler or Hartenstein? Meh. We obviously made the right choice. We went small and the guy ran around everyone to get the putback. No way you get that with a big C.

5. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Like if you thought chandler parsons in title

Remlap, BigMaloe and DreamShook like this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Who's gonna tell him?
    [​IMG]

7. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

If you read my whole post you would see that I know he isn’t on the team anymore. That’s my point! We cut him for no reason when we had until October to do so. I’m talking about that situation we could have used him.

jdhi likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

giphy.gif

D-rock, ryan_98 and BigMaloe like this.
  9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

That’s why your post is stupid. No one is keeping a player so he can help on 1 play.

UTSA2step, D-rock, YOLO and 1 other person like this.
  10. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Well hell. Why not put in Capela instead?

I mean he is gone too but hey we playing fantasy basketball right? Shaq? Hakeem? Fire up NBA 2K and play some MyTeam?

The thing is none of those players are coming through the door. At least not to suit up and play for us. And putting Chandler in to "secure" the rebound cold off the bench, Is it a GUARANTEE he gets it? Are not most of the Mavs younger and faster and in some cases even stronger?

Basketball is just as much about situations as it is strategy and sometime as it is luck.

We won the game. We play who we have. We see what situations come up next game and hope our coaching staff makes the right calls, because not ONE of our phones is gonna ring and someone ask "what do we do here armchair coach?"

Basketball is back. Sit back and enjoy!!!

UTSA2step and D-rock like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think there is no way we get that rebound though if Rick had put in Boban. Not sure why he didn't.

Covington could do that because Porzingis easily gets swam around or pushed out of position.

D-rock, Easy and amaru like this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

The guy next to Dwight was, ironically, Chris Paul.

D-rock likes this.
  13. HardenVolumeOne

Chris Paul is so ****ing smart man, i wish he and james could have worked it out like shaq and kobe to win a ring

D-rock and Little Bit like this.
  14. amaru

amaru Member

That was my initial though as well to have Chandler and Covington on the line instead of Tucker. The biggest flaw I see with that is that Chandler would have been cold and tight so he may not have been as effective. Tucker did just enough (and the Mavs chokes) to seal Porzingis (who played soft) and Covington was able to wheel around for the tip.

D-rock likes this.
  15. amaru

amaru Member

To be completely honest, had the Mavs player next to Covington made a halfway decent attempt to box out he’s not able to make that play. He had no idea Robert had run around him. The Mavs truly do suck in the clutch.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Because Doc knows exactly what MDA knows which is that it's not mainly about height at that moment. Would be weird to insert someone with no athleticism or skill.

Covington did it because he and Tucker planned it out based on the fact that they are not as tall, and so they would have to be quick both mentally and physically. There was barely any pushing of Porzingis, mostly Tucker just stood in front of him.

D-rock likes this.
  17. amaru

amaru Member

It happened because Covington gambled (and got lucky) and the Mavericks were napping at the foul line. If the Mavs were even somewhat engaged the game would have ended there in all honesty.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm just here because OP brought Hartenstein into this.

UTSA2step, DreamShook and Os Trigonum like this.
  19. Mathloom

No not at all.

It was literally planned and executed. Covington ran and grabbed the rebound. Luck would be if it fell to a big whose feet are planted. That's a coin toss.

Mavs weren't napping, it was just a surprise move. Kleber boxed out the way anyone would (to his left) and Covington ran BEHIND and AROUND him (a 7ft guy is not boxing out a 6'7 wing that he can't see lol). Porzingis hooked Tucker's arm because he figured if neither jump, it's his rebound. Had no idea Covington was lurking till too late. Would have caught any team by surprise, no matter how focused.

Great job from the guys, they surprised the hell out of me.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

And the IDDIOT’s are back

D-rock likes this.