1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I don’t mean to be rude to anyone, but I’ve been reading this thread from time to time and there is one individual who routinely latches on to random studies etc hands out advice in a pretty cavalier fashion. This individual is also not a medical practitioner as is evident by how he throws out recommendations. Notice how the professional remain largely silent. It’s not as easy as finding a database/retrospective study, finding a p-value <0.05 and stating the general populace should do x , y. z. I wasn’t going to say anything either, but it’s getting to be a bit much. Even physicians remain very conservative on what they advise people to do.

The problem people get into (internet experts)...is that you don’t know that you don’t know. The people that do know some, know that they don’t know and remain quiet.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Went to see my doc last week about something unrelated to covid. She told me to stop reading stuff on the internet.

Jontro and tinman like this.
  3. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

That is b/c she doesn't know about bbs.clutchfans.net

4. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Lost two relatives over the weekend to COVID, older cousins who my parents were close with. My friend’s entire crew at the plant he works at are all out. Two in the hospital. He’s quarantined himself from his wife and kids to be safe....so he’s all alone while he’s got to worry over whether he will develop symptoms soon while at the same time getting messages from his work buddies who are getting sicker and sicker.

such a sad mess.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most people are listening to music cause they are stuck in their cars or homes now

I know kids now hate the police

but stings voice and lyrics are unmatched

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’m sorry. I hope things start looking sooner then later.

Coach AI likes this.
  8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You assume??

Do you know why other countries are doing much better than the US? Because they do not assume. They also dont call their friends, coworkers and outside families 'within their quarantine bubble'.

So which is it? Wear a face mask in public? Or wear a face mask in public only if YOU feel its not safe? Being an 'authority' also requires a higher standard of responsibility. If people feel they can compromise on face mask rules, why not compromise on social distancing and large crowds? Is 50 acceptable or 51? If 51 people is acceptable, why not round up to 100? There are only 10 people in the bar? Its not my fault 90 more people walked in the last 15 minutes. Im not leaving, I was here first.

I have a lot more respect for people who are not concerned about catching it or spreading it than I do for people who feel they can weave in and out of the rules to fit their desire.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

???

I don't understand what you mean. You respect people that think they're above contracting the virus?

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

MadMax, I had no idea your wife had contracted COVID. So sorry to hear it, and we'll be thinking about you all.
    Sorry, too, to read Rokkit's news.

Yeah, folks, it is no joke. And the worst in some ways is that there's such a range, from no symptoms, to no big deal, to two bad weeks, to many bad months, to hospitalization and beyond. As I've mentioned, Mrs. B-Bob had a middle-aged friend die of this virus. We're all going to know more and more people affected.

Was recently walking around wondering about exposure.
    1. US has 4.33M confirmed cases.
    2. We know this is an undercount. Some studies have shown 40-50x more cases than have been measured in any given area. Let's be conservative and say 25x more cases in the US than we've measured, so 108M cases in the US.
    3. About 40% are completely asymptomatic, so 43M Americans may well have had or do have asymptomatic COVID, very few of whom have been diagnosed.
    4. So, if you pause next to a stranger in a supermarket, or pass a wheezing, unmasked jogger on the sidewalk, there's a 43/330 chance, or 13%, that the person may well have had or does have COVID-19 and could be contagious. While a lot of those people have recovered, we're currently at our caseload peak, so it's more and more likely every week that the stranger (or friend or acquaintance at work, etc) could be contagious.

These are not ridiculous estimates and they really underline where we're at. Just hoping immunity holds up for those who have had the virus.

11. Nook

Nook Member

My wife went to med school and practiced briefly before stomach cancer... she echoes what you are saying as well. The road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Two Sandwiches and Cokebabies like this.
  12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

WTF are you ranting about? You create a strawman argument about social distancing and then cap it off with a nonsensical paragraph about preferring people who willingly spread the virus over people who attempt to follow the rules. Seriously?

R0ckets03, Major and Nook like this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No Worries likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

Sounds like the big problem here is just that you spend a lot more time ranting about masks than learning their purpose or what they do. There's nothing wrong with what Fauci did, and it fits all the recommendations of how to use masks.

Repeated statements like this about other countries and how they don't have stupid people suggest you've never actually been outside of the country.

Nook and BigM like this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

I am sorry for your losses. May they rest in peace.

Hopefully your friend will have avoided infection. The best we can do in this situation is offer moral support.
    Hope everything turns out fine.

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

One of my largest concerns is that I see multiple political figures touting this drug as a savior to us all. I just watched a video over the weekend where a senator suggested that we would have 90% less deaths if early intervention with HCQ was done. It feels like such a wreck. I don't even understand why. I feel the majority of us, regardless of ideology, just want what is best for the citizens of this country and to minimize the loss of life as much as possible. I end up arguing with individuals defending the research that I've seen up to this point, then I saw that article from the Yale epidemiologist and I felt like a total tool, after all, my attempt is not to provide any sort of advice to anyone on matters I am not an expert on, however, my goal is to prevent the spread of misinformation to the rest of the public. I was called delusional by several individuals.

FYI, tried to keep my post as clean as possible to avoid D&D language. I know I'm walking a fine line and I do my best to respect that line.

malakas and Nook like this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Welp... Pfizer/BioNTech just announced they're into Phase 3 :

Pfizer and BioNTech began late-stage human trial for coronavirus vaccine Monday
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/27/pfi...man-trial-for-coronavirus-vaccine-monday.html

Nook likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

TheFreak and Nook like this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

i agree. I don’t give a **** what works/doesn’t from a political perspective and can’t imagine how we even have to use the word political perspective but for the fact moron in chief is in charge.

I’m just interested in what works and doesn’t work.

and I know from personal experience with doctors and the fda that they don’t always know either cause new data comes in and changes stuff, etc (my experience is for another thread but involves the drug levaquin... which now has a black box warning and doctors aren’t supposed to prescribe).

so yeah... really just want to know if specific studies on the 3 drug cocktail on the right patient groups have been performed and what they say.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So...sitting with his wife and a friend in an almost empty stadium and drinking a bottle of water, you expect him to have his mask always on? It's clearly in a position to be put back on and he clearly has a bottle of water. Do you expect him to wear it 24/7?

Major and Nook like this.