1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

The Old Guard - 7.0. Decent action flick. Probably in line with the average X-Men movies (not as good as their best work but better than the garbage ones). Maybe I'm drawing the parallel b/c of the similarity to Wolverine from X-Men. I wish the antagonist could have been cast with a better actor. Too stereotypical

2. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Hitcher (1986)
    10/10

I've seen this mentioned a few times over the years but hadn't gotten around to watching it until now. Frightening movie. Rutger Hauer plays the perfect villain, which should have been obvious given his role in Blade Runner. Highly recommend if you're in the mood for a thriller.

3. JW86

JW86 Member

Definitely agree! I read that vague description on IMDB and a 7.5 is the aggregated rating on there too so seems about right. I liked this fresh take on this type of movie. They did a lot of funny stuff together and to me 90 minutes was actually rather short as I felt the development of and chemistry between the two main characters felt rushed and could've used a bit more. They could've gone even a bit more over the top with the ridiculous moments. That being said, there's enough in this movie to laugh, some crazy and clever jokes, delivered aptly by both Andy Samberg (Brooklyn 99) and Cristin Milioti (the mother in How I met your Mother).

I liked this pairing a lot and Christin in particular did a masterful job. Her reaction to one particular incident was really a type of reaction you see in real life and rarely in a movie, since they usually go for the standard female reaction. You'll know when you see it. JK Simmons was a nice addition, he was also a bit too mellow for my taste, but I loved his role. The overall story might have been done before, but it's the way they dealt with it that made this a very solid comedy. It has enough touches here and there to keep you engaged and while some of it was a bit silly, I liked it and it's good to know not every comedy is a big disappointment nowadays. So much regurgitating, copying, oversexualised, stoner / fake gangster and just dumb comedies around. This is definitely worth your time.

FrontRunner likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watched the 7-part Australian film Gallipoli. This was excellent. 10/10, and held my interest throughout.
    Rewatched The Men Who Stare at Goats. Liked it much better this time around. 8/10. Great cast.
    Tried to re-watch Bad Company, Jeff Bridges' 1972 film. Couldn't get into it, skipped ahead, didn't end up finishing it. I know it's a better film than this, just couldn't get into it. 5/10

5. conquistador#11

Midway(on Vumoo with adblocker) 8.8/10 While it wasn't as tense as Dunkirk, I felt there was never a dull moment in this film. The visuals were stunning from the color editing to the pilot's pov. Action packed. No love triangles, Kate Beckensale didn't get pregnant with her fiance's best friend, none of that. .

deb4rockets likes this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

My biggest complaint with that movie is they spent too much time on the history leading up to Midway. Then it felt like they rushed the Midway battle and minimized the Japanese counter attacks, etc.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Didn't know that existed, will check it out.

I remember really wanting to like that movie, and then being disappointed. It's been a while though so I guess I'll watch it again.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

F You! It wasn't bothering me until you mentioned it. They did make it seem like a 51 unanswered points type of beat down.
    But I did enjoy that they covered how it led to that point.

As Good As IT Gets(90s section of Netflix) 9/10 : Saw it mentioned pages back so why not? I wasn't into romcoms until the beginning of the 2000s so I missed this one as a teenager. Helen Hunt was incredible, oddly enough she only had 2 more good movies in her after this performance. But this movie is really about a dog and how he changes the lives of everyone. Melvin before the dog could have been an outstanding president in 2017!
    Love this movie. Will watch again.

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Greyhound
    8/10

This is the latest Tom Hanks action/war movie. A WWII setting in the Atlantic where an allied convoy come under attack from German U-boats. I thought it'd be a little slow but the filmmakers did a good job of keeping the suspense up.

Based on the comments here I'll give Midway a watch in the next few days.

NewRoxFan and Tommyboy like this.
  10. Dream Sequence

I came here to post this movie as well. Pretty entertaining and it was nice that it was only 1.5 hours instead of 2 hours because of 30 min of filler.

Makes you wonder, would you rather be in a ship or a submarine during the war (I haven't looked at the odds of dying) - and I guess in modern times.

I give it a 7/10.

It did make me move Das Boot/U-571 up my list to watch...

11. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Dark Waters - 8.5/10

An unforgettable story based on actual events. More depressing and infuriating than nail-biting, but something every person on this planet should watch at some point.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I watched Motherless Brooklyn on the HBO app yesterday. Never heard of it, but I'd run out of stuff to watch and the cast was great. Reasonably entertaining 1950's story about a junior detective with Tourettes who is running down why his boss got murdered. Ed Norton, Alec Baldwin, Willem Defoe, Bobby Cannavale, and Bruce Willis and a couple of others.

Maybe 6.5 out of 10? The political slant might annoy some of our conservative friends, who might not want to watch.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

We also just saw Greyhound. Hanks was Hanks... solid performance. Well-written and acted, very tense. I really like battleship/submarine stories. always tense. Even my wife who isn't a war movie fan liked it. Audio can be a bit garbled at times though.

You should really enjoy Das Boot. Much more enjoyable in its native German. Great performances and special effects (especially if you have surround sound). Another older movie that you should also watch is The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens.

Dream Sequence likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Also saw a second movie last night... Amazon Prime, The Vast of Night. 9 out of 10. Fantastic low budget film with a little known cast. The direction and cinematography should get academy award consideration. Yes, the movie was that good.

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

We checked out The Rental, Dave Franco's directorial debut.

Movie is a solid retread of the home invasion type films, like The Strangers. The 4 characters are all played well by the cast which keeps the thing moving even though it's fairly predictable. Still not a bad first go for Franco.

B-

NewRoxFan likes this.
  16. conquistador#11

The VVitch- 3/10, both my wife and the Pagan baby mama thought this film was Satan's great gift to the entertainment world. We watched it around midnight for added effect.
    I didn't like it at all. It could be because I was still worked up over the whole Joe Kelly is a national hero tomfoolery.
    I just found it to be a bunch of loud percussion instruments hyping up action that was not taking place.

A month to go for some real Lucifer action!

KingCheetah likes this.
  17. Dream Sequence

The Man From Nowhere - Amazon Prime - 8/10. Really enjoyed the movie. Great fight scenes, especially at the end of the movie. Fairly bloody movie, so not for the squeamish. Old Boy (Korean version) was more insane but this movie is in the same vein of Korean action films.

dmoneybangbang and jiggyfly like this.
  18. Dream Sequence

The English Patient - I sort of want those 3 hours back. 6/10? I mean when a movie is that long, it really needs to be good to justify it.
    Do yourself a favor and watch Casablanca twice instead...

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Greyhound - 8/10 (apple tv)

Tom Hanks is great as always. The movie keeps you in suspense the whole time.

Tommyboy likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

Bad boys for life (on Starz) 8/10 for an action flick! "That is some Telenovela ish". Perfect running time, continuous action, hot chicks, classic one liners, a few heart felt moments. Why is Kate Del Castillo always playing a drug lord or a criminal's wife? That's racist!